Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Played a few hours with friends after a long episode of cold/cough. I'm now pissed off with Hurricanes on my FH. Just too much work for too little reward. My BH was my main point winner today and my FH loop was just so easily blocked except for looping serves that drift long. Life's too short to torture myself with unboosted Hurricanes. Imma just gonna go full Gozo and go double D05 on my Viscaria. Easy power and spin ftw! I will deal with the bounciness on the short receive. Easier to improve touch than to torture my body with full power shots all the time.
Golden Tango, people. Golden Tango. D05 is a fine rubber by the way. But if you don't want to boost, Golden Tango is a really comfortable place to be. As a bonus, you can get two for the price of one Dignics.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Played a few hours with friends after a long episode of cold/cough. I'm now pissed off with Hurricanes on my FH. Just too much work for too little reward. My BH was my main point winner today and my FH loop was just so easily blocked except for looping serves that drift long. Life's too short to torture myself with unboosted Hurricanes. Imma just gonna go full Gozo and go double D05 on my Viscaria. Easy power and spin ftw! I will deal with the bounciness on the short receive. Easier to improve touch than to torture my body with full power shots all the time.
I'm famous now!

Gozo: Helping the EJ community since 2021

Gozo: The quintessential BTY fanboi since 2021

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Never go full Gozo!

Hahah jk. I think we just found a great new phrase for switching to the fastest rubbers

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Never go full Gozo!

Hahah jk. I think we just found a great new phrase for switching to the fastest rubbers
For the uninitiated; Full Gozo means
👇

For the western audience, Full Gozo means
👇

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This is my finals..
I was feeling rather hungry and tired even before the match, but here it is. A rather short match, and I sort of rushed through the serves as I am trying to finish it on time.

The opponent said he missed the first 2-3 forehands then he lost the confidence to use his fh to attack.
I missed a few bh open up but then I tried again later and they landed.

Feedback / comment welcome.
Your mindset already won you the match, seems like your opponent already felt he had to take risk to have a chance which is not a good place to be or way to play. I think the main distinction was that he played as if he was afraid of the rally and you didn't.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Although it is only 3 days after the comp, I am missing TT already!
That recent week where I get to play 5 times in 8 days is causing me to have withdraws now...

I might use the prize money to get myself a Rakza x for my bh. Hoping it will be more helpful for me than the dignics 05, which I really liked the top sheet, but I don't feel I am able to hit through it.
Such things are just feelings. I find that whatever you use, if you train enough, the body will adjust. The main reason why 05 feels that way is that the topsheet is designed to spin, but if you hit a bit more to the wood and close the blade somewhat through the stroke, the effect will be decent. And if you hit to the wood and don't close the blade, a lot of the effect won't matter anyway, the key will be just timing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Worked on a few drills yesterday and got really torched by doing Backhand -> Forehand pivot on BH side -> cross table FH and repeat. Not sure how to stop my momentum to get back fast enough on the Backhand. Might just be my volleyball shoes are wearing out. Feels like being late to the far FH is giving me issues.

After just near exclusive BH practice for the better part of 1.5 hours, getting spin and getting a good angle on the table felt more automatic. Got two more practices this week, so I'll see how it all goes.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Worked on a few drills yesterday and got really torched by doing Backhand -> Forehand pivot on BH side -> cross table FH and repeat. Not sure how to stop my momentum to get back fast enough on the Backhand. Might just be my volleyball shoes are wearing out. Feels like being late to the far FH is giving me issues.

After just near exclusive BH practice for the better part of 1.5 hours, getting spin and getting a good angle on the table felt more automatic. Got two more practices this week, so I'll see how it all goes.
Getting feedback on training drills as quickly as possible is very important. Otherwise you groove in habits that will be hard to break without major changes and you want to reduce the need for major changes as much as possible. Even a 2 minute section of drill is sufficient.

This user has no status.
Lol I just feel like it's humiliating when I throw such force into the ball with the FH and it gets blocked back so easily. Whereas with my BH with D05 I'm doing a really short snappy stroke and the ball goes out like bullets with huge spin to boot. I was literally winning everything today with just BH overwhelming defences, and my opponents simply switched it to my FH where I was just struggling af to finish the ball. They even commented that my BH was deadlier than my FH 😂 can't tolerate such disrespect no more 😆

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Lol I just feel like it's humiliating when I throw such force into the ball with the FH and it gets blocked back so easily. Whereas with my BH with D05 I'm doing a really short snappy stroke and the ball goes out like bullets with huge spin to boot. I was literally winning everything today with just BH overwhelming defences, and my opponents simply switched it to my FH where I was just struggling af to finish the ball. They even commented that my BH was deadlier than my FH 😂 can't tolerate such disrespect no more 😆
That was what I was thinking when I tested D05 on both sides but I also learned that Tango was pretty powerful when I ran that experiment. Right now, I play with both paddles and I might put Tango on Forehand and 05 on backhand. But I could definitely stick with the same on both sides, though getting 05 to work on my forehand has been a challenge.

This user has no status.
That was what I was thinking when I tested D05 on both sides but I also learned that Tango was pretty powerful when I ran that experiment. Right now, I play with both paddles and I might put Tango on Forehand and 05 on backhand. But I could definitely stick with the same on both sides, though getting 05 to work on my forehand has been a challenge.
Hmm I never heard of Golden Tango before and I don't think it's sold at my local shop? 05 is terrible for short receives especially push control imo because of the sheer bounciness. But it is amazing for aggressive strokes like flicks and chiquita. My thinking is that once I switch to D05 on the FH, my main FH receive is going to be sidespin (both fade and hook) and flicks on short balls whenever possible and to avoid pushing in general especially against non underspin stuff.

This user has no status.

You have to do an immediate recovery intermediate step after the pivot. So during the FH loop itself you transfer weight to your left foot, and immediately use that to bounce yourself back towards the right, then you have to do a large crossover step. It's very important to land with weight on your left foot after the crossover step to stay balanced. Then you have to take another two big steps to get back to BH from wide FH. It definitely takes a lot of energy and physicality to do that against a quality fast block. I saw ex pros panting for air after a few of these on Fang Bo's channel. I trained these a few times and decided that FH pivoting is overrated 😂 I just use my BH now...

This user has no status.
I've had some very good sessions this week.
i've focused mostly on one thing: keeping the racket high, and put it quickly back in position after a stroke.

i was really quick to react, im hitting earlier and more forward, especially on FH, and strokes are shortened as well. even in multiball drills i was doing much better.

i was focusing only mostly on trying to keep a good stance in last months, but now i think keeping the racket high and ready is as important as the stance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Such things are just feelings. I find that whatever you use, if you train enough, the body will adjust. The main reason why 05 feels that way is that the topsheet is designed to spin, but if you hit a bit more to the wood and close the blade somewhat through the stroke, the effect will be decent. And if you hit to the wood and don't close the blade, a lot of the effect won't matter anyway, the key will be just timing.
I thought though that D05 is alot more bouncier than Rakza X, hence why my friends recommended me to use that instead to develop my bh so that I can play full strokes and not be afraid of hitting too hard like when I am using the D05. When using D05, I am very focused on thin contact as it can become very fast and uncontrollable if I don't get the right contact, but I am told that Rakza X is slower so it encourages a fuller stroke. With that, I have more control on the ball as the ball stays on the rubber for longer and doesn't shoot out as fast.

This user has no status.
I thought though that D05 is alot more bouncier than Rakza X, hence why my friends recommended me to use that instead to develop my bh so that I can play full strokes and not be afraid of hitting too hard like when I am using the D05. When using D05, I am very focused on thin contact as it can become very fast and uncontrollable if I don't get the right contact, but I am told that Rakza X is slower so it encourages a fuller stroke. With that, I have more control on the ball as the ball stays on the rubber for longer and doesn't shoot out as fast.
Dignics series actually does the best with thick contact with the closing of the blade angle as part of the contact (see for eg Ovtcharov stroke structure - it's ideal for Dignics). With that kind of contact you can wrap the ball completely and you gain a lot of consistency because of the wrapping. I feel like it's almost designed to do that, and flatter hitting is just terrible using it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022

Are you just doing Falkenberg, or does the cross table FH actually require a cross-over step? If it's the latter then this video really helped me:

It's a bit unnatural to turn and face perpendicular to the table but doing that along with the skip step really makes the difference.

If you're talking about Falkenberg where you do BH->Pivot FH->Far FH->repeat and you're having trouble going from the Far FH to repeat the BH portion, then that requires a recovery reset after the Far FH.

The reason it requires the recovery reset after the Far FH is that the FH swing puts your weight on your L foot (assuming you are R handed) and you need to get your balance to neutral again since getting to the BH shot will require you pushing off your R foot. You can't push off your R foot if you forgot to rebalance. Maybe that's why you feel like momentum is working against you.

I can share a video clip for that if it's what you're talking about.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ah okay. That makes sense. What I would say is that there is a path adjustment you need to make when you hit the ball hard. That is what enables you to play full strokes closer to the table. It usually involves finishing a bit lower tha you would with a slower rubber.

That said, Rakza X has a bit more tackiness and like Golden Tango, will help with that as well (though Golden Tango is a bit harder).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Dignics series actually does the best with thick contact with the closing of the blade angle as part of the contact (see for eg Ovtcharov stroke structure - it's ideal for Dignics). With that kind of contact you can wrap the ball completely and you gain a lot of consistency because of the wrapping. I feel like it's almost designed to do that, and flatter hitting is just terrible using it.
This I agree with, I have not decided I want to change my stroke that much, but I have felt this a lot. What I will probably do is make the stroke path bigger but close over it.

This user has no status.
This I agree with, I have not decided I want to change my stroke that much, but I have felt this a lot. What I will probably do is make the stroke path bigger but close over it.
For me it's the opposite, I feel like I naturally love the closing of the angle because of the control it allows me, it's a remnant when I was using 09c, and for me other unboosted rubbers didn't give me this feeling of security in terms of wrapping the ball (and then releasing it with huge amounts of spin).

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Are you just doing Falkenberg, or does the cross table FH actually require a cross-over step? If it's the latter then this video really helped me:

It's a bit unnatural to turn and face perpendicular to the table but doing that along with the skip step really makes the difference.

If you're talking about Falkenberg where you do BH->Pivot FH->Far FH->repeat and you're having trouble going from the Far FH to repeat the BH portion, then that requires a recovery reset after the Far FH.

The reason it requires the recovery reset after the Far FH is that the FH swing puts your weight on your L foot (assuming you are R handed) and you need to get your balance to neutral again since getting to the BH shot will require you pushing off your R foot. You can't push off your R foot if you forgot to rebalance. Maybe that's why you feel like momentum is working against you.

I can share a video clip for that if it's what you're talking about.
The cross over was the drill we were working towards on Tuesday. I'll have to check that video out. Thanks! I think you put it perfectly on why I was having issues. I have a bad habit of leaving my left leg behind and trying to balance all my weight on my right. Going to try to do that side-step mentioned in the video for tonight's practice and see how it goes. @blahness Thank you for the explanation as well. It's definitely the intermediate step I'm missing out on!

@NextLevel We have a pretty good player that moved to the US recently, so he's been helping me out on footwork drills, since I'm incredibly weak in this area.

My volleyball shoes are almost two years old now, so they might be wearing down as well. Might look into getting something lighter. Started slipping a lot when trying to pivot and make small adjustments in moving around.