Define MAX for me please

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Ittf had once issued a warning to all manufacturers to not market rubbers at the margin of thickness limitation 4 mm. The recommended limit for sandwich rubbers is now 3.80 millimetres when it comes from package.

2.1 MAX is to be meant an actual measure by mm as made on the sponge enclosed, and it is the thickest (max) available from the manufacturer.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I know the regulation needs some room for the glue, but MAX basically means this is their thickest legal and commercially available sponge and topsheet combination for this rubber and manufacturer.
Therefore, just because a rubber is advertised as 2.1mm MAX does not mean I will get a sponge that is 2.1mm thick, right ???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Therefore, just because a rubber is advertised as 2.1mm MAX does not mean I will get a sponge that is 2.1mm thick, right ???
It should. If not, they should not have specified the sponge thickness as 2.1mm, though there is always manufacturing tolerance in any rubber but that is the reason why you may not get 2.1mm, but is different from what I think you are asking. Some thinner topsheets can have thicker MAX sponges.

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
It should. If not they should not have specified the sponge thickness as 2.1mm, though there is always manufacturing tolerance in any rubber but that is the re wa son why you may not get 2.1mm, but is different from what I think you are asking. Some thinner topsherts can have thicker MAX sponges.
Then of course it makes me wonder what exactly they mean when the advert says: LOKI ARTHUR CHINA Thickness: MAX

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
fair enough but of course we do have already 2 different versions of "MAX", the ITTF maximal allowed thickness of a rubber and your version of MAX representing the manufacturers thickest sponge for any particular rubber. Wonder if there are some more versions. ;)
I think Max sponge is just an advertisement term that means "thickest sponge our company offers".

As some have said already there is no max sponge in ittf, just overall rubber thickness.

Reactions: NextLevel and lodro
You have to expect a certain variation. Butterfly for instance:
1.9 mm actually is 1.7 - 1.9 mm
2.1 mm actually is 1.9 - 2.1 mm

So two of the one above could be very close in thickness.

That said I think yours is way of the charts...

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: NextLevel and lodro