Define MAX for me please

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
IMG20231110154950.jpg

When it says 2.1mm MAX, what can I expect to get ? Is there a definition for this expression MAX
I thought it might have something to do with the 4mm maximum thickness allowed for the rubbers,
but ....."you tell me"" 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
and if it is advertised as "" 2.1mm MAX""" but is only 3.66 and not 4mm ??
I know the regulation needs some room for the glue, but MAX basically means this is their thickest legal and commercially available sponge and topsheet combination for this rubber and manufacturer.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I know the regulation needs some room for the glue, but MAX basically means this is their thickest legal and commercially available sponge and topsheet combination for this rubber and manufacturer.
OK, this is likely to be the version that the seller will use MAX will therefore vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Others of course say MAX relates to the ITTF allowed max thickness of a rubber and then if it would be advertised as MAX it should be about 3.9mm allowing for glue

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
OK, this is likely to be the version that the seller will use MAX will therefore vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Others of course say MAX relates to the ITTF allowed max thickness of a rubber and then if it would be advertised as MAX it should be about 3.9mm allowing for glue
Many players glue with more than 0.1mm of glue and some may boost the sponge a bit as well. So 3.9mm may not be the proposed max.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Many players glue with more than 0.1mm of rubber and some may boost the sponge a bit as well. So 3.9mm may not be the proposed max.
fair enough but of course we do have already 2 different versions of "MAX", the ITTF maximal allowed thickness of a rubber and your version of MAX representing the manufacturers thickest sponge for any particular rubber. Wonder if there are some more versions. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
fair enough but of course we do have already 2 different versions of "MAX", the ITTF maximal allowed thickness of a rubber and your version of MAX representing the manufacturers thickest sponge for any particular rubber. Wonder if there are some more versions. ;)
Can you reference the ITTF version of "MAX", I have only seen "MAX" from manufacturers and ITTF propose a regulation maximum thickness of rubber sponge and glue combinations on the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes, these are the 2 versions so far here mentioned
Yes but ITTF has never said "MAX" - "MAX" is a label applied by and to manufacturers for their rubbers. So what you wrote was incorrect. The only version of "MAX" is specific to manufacturer for a specific rubber, and that is if the manufacturer wants to use that term - some don't or hardly use it.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Yes but ITTF has never said "MAX" - "MAX" is a label applied by and to manufacturers for their rubbers. So what you wrote was incorrect. The only version of "MAX" is specific to manufacturer for a specific rubber, and that is if the manufacturer wants to use that term - some don't or hardly use it.
I see. Wonder why they always print it capital letters ?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Probably advertising to be honest - many people take pride in using Max sponge - they make fun of you if you don't.
Phew, lucky me, I just glued a brand new hurricane H3 on a new blade,
it is a 220-40 and of the olde kind. Remember when you needed a bulldozer to jank the cover-sheets of the sticky rubbers

Reactions: Choosikick