Diary of a Penholder...

Hi Guys

I have been on Tabletennis Daily for over a year now and I have recently thought to compile a weekly Diary of my Progression/Decline of form in match play and training I will try to compile a weekly update with videos and text plans but first a little introduction about myself.

My Name is James and I've been playing table tennis for the past 2 Years after a 4 Year break 2010-2014. I really enjoy table tennis as a sport competitively and currently play in the First/Second Division in the Birmingham (UK) league.
When I came back after a four year break I was well awful to say the least timing was off footwork was dreadful and my strokes were no-where to be seen, luckily a coach at my local Club Barry Hayward (ex top 20 England Player) helped me a lot and within 5 months I had won the Division 4 individuals and helped promote my team to the 3rd division. Over the past year my ability has gone from strength to strength and I have competed in county tournaments and next season aiming to play some games in the Premier Division and maybe compete in the British League.

With Rubbers etc I've been a Equipment Junkie gone through Tenergy 05, H3 (Orange and Blue Sponge), Haifu Whale 3, Rasant Powergrip and many others but finally I have found my setup and I'm going to stick with it:

DHS Hurricane Hao 2 (amazing blade with great control)
Andro Rasant Beat (Great BH rubber good control and spin not too fast)
Andro Rasant Powersponge (Has it all Speed Spin and Not very sensitive to spin)

The First few videos I will post will be on Sunday - Any feedback or questions are welcome [emoji2]

As the Summer Season Starts in next few weeks please see my TT365 page .
https://www.tabletennis365.com/Birm.../Statistics/Winter_2015-16/James_Price/126830

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Hi, glad to have found a fellow c-pen beginner. I've picked up the style 4 years ago after a 12y break, coming from shakehand. My biggest problem is actually the racket angle for forehand looping, it ends up too open most of the time. It seems the difference lies mostly in the elbow position, and I have to press down on the thumb to close the racket more, but I can't get a good feel for it. Any advice? Also, my backhand push sucks so much, that I'd rather risk banana flipping everytime, because I cant seem to get the angle right for the push.

Personally I feel that you should use as standard a 45 degree racket angle then adjust depending on spin (close for topspin and open for backspin) for topspin I always loosen my grip and softly touch the ball over the table with placement and use my opponent speed.
Key aspect is to always transfer your weight forward and then the feeling will come with practice.

As for your backhand push always make your contact underneath the ball to ensure a safe push then when you get used to it you can angle your bat to apply sidespin to the push aswell.
The other options are to either run around and loop with forehand which is good if you have great footwork but leaves you vulnerable down the line.
To execute the RPB this takes a lot of practice not just with the stroke but also with the finger positions and where to apply pressure there are videos on YouTube from wang hao with subtitles but the main jist I get from the is to use 75% elbow movement and 25% wrist movement as if you use more wrist than elbow you will not generate the power.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk