What is the actual thickness for popular tensor max sponges?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
What is the actual max sponge thickness for popular ESN tensor rubbers like MXP and G1? On the MXP order page, it says ~2.1-2.2. What does this mean? Does it mean they are aiming for 2.15 but it might be +/- 0.05?

I've read some reviews calling the max 2.1, and I've read some calling it 2.2. Not sure what it really is. Just visually looking at it, it doesn't really look thick like 2.2

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Does it mean they are aiming for 2.15 but it might be +/- 0.05?
It means that they are open about the variations that occur in the production of any rubber.
Sometimes the 1.9 version of one rubber might actually be thicker than the 2.0 version of another.

There are also variations in sponge hardness, as indicated by Victas on their site. They state hardness with a +/-3 degree value, so if you buy a rubber on one end of that range and on on the other you will end up with very different rubbers.

As for MAX, it indicates the maximum sponge thickness for the corresponding top sheet to keep the rubber below or equal to 4.0 mm. This means for some rubbers it´s 2.1 mm, for others even 2.3.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
As for MAX, it indicates the maximum sponge thickness for the corresponding top sheet to keep the rubber below or equal to 4.0 mm. This means for some rubbers it´s 2.1 mm, for others even 2.3.
looks like every manufacturer has different ideas about what MAX means. Some (Loki) tell us that MAX simply stands for the maximum thickness of the sponge for this specific rubber.
This means you can end up with a sponge only 1.7mm but the total thickness of the rubber was still only 3.65mm.
It is called Chinese precision manufacturing 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I use a 10.5mm thick blade with two pieces of max ESN rubbers. Will I get a Jishan Liang incident?
That depends. If you play in an official tournament where rackets are being tested and if at least one of your rubbers exceeds the max. limit while being tested, i.e. if the circumstances are the same as with Liang, then well...
BTW: The thickness of your blade itself is irrelevant. Theoretically your Hinoki blade could be 10 m thick and weigh a metric ton.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Grey ass experienced guys would take an opportunity to go through Racket Control procedure on their own discretion, the established oppotunity granted by the ITTF Rules as voluntary testing.

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Instructive leaflet by ITTF for umpire to follow. Ignorance of the laws makes no excuse.
Quick_Guidance_ITTF_T9_coloured (1).jpg