Dimitrij Ovtcharov's backspin serve is so crazy!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Guys I wanted to share this video. I can't explain how much backspin is on the ball! It feels like the ball weighs like a bowling ball when it made contact with my bat 😅

Imagine being able to serve like this... you'd win most of your points on your serve alone 😁🏓

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
That's crazy - not short of pace or sidespin either!

What do you think is the key to getting all that back on it - high toss helps I guess?

Good question yeah. I think the high toss is key to all this spin... plus just unreal contact doing it 1000's of times. Perfect timing, contact.. everything haha

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
I saw how ML returned the serve against DO on YT. It looks like ML flicked his racket upward during contact & pushed at the same time. IDK

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
With that amount of backspin you need to push the ball up, not forward. When the ball grab the topsheet it will propel forward. Easier said than done.

After you successfully return the serve, for the next serve the pro player will send you a no spin ball with the same motion. You will pop up the ball and BAM.

Reactions: blahness
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Guys I wanted to share this video. I can't explain how much backspin is on the ball! It feels like the ball weighs like a bowling ball when it made contact with my bat 😅

Imagine being able to serve like this... you'd win most of your points on your serve alone 😁🏓

View attachment 24604
This video makes me just want to go play with sand-paper bat or pick up pickleball instead... :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have a strong back spin server. If you look at Ovcharovs' serve you can see he uses a lot of wrist and where the ball contacts the paddle is also important. That is the key.
I was taught that by my first coach who had nasty serves. Since I am older, it makes sense to put more effort in to how to make nasty serves that require little effort.

I have practice partners that are younger and honestly play better than I do but if we play a match I would use my nasty servers. There is no point in using them when we are simply playing for the exercise.