Does sweat getting into the handle of the blade really increases its weight?

says Win by Spin!
says Win by Spin!
Aug 2022
Read 3 reviews
Somewhere I've read that if you hand is sweaty and the sweat getting into or leaking into the handle of the blade increase its weight overall, up to 3-4-5 grams year...

Is that true? If it is, will it be a problem sometime in the future and is there anything I can do not to have this happened?

Thanks.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I think the extra weight goes away as the blade dries out again. Anyway weight in the handle wouldn't make it feel much heavier, might feel lighter depending how the balance was to start.

Reactions: turbozed and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Treat your blade handle with Watco Danish Oil. Follow the instructions on the tin. It will take a few days for the slight fishy smell to go away as it tends to dry slowly but it should help with the sweat soak issue. I do it to all my new blades and the advantage of the boiled linseed oil based finish is it keeps the natural texture of the handle wood and does not make the handle feel like plastic as polyurethane finishes might.

Reactions: JeffM and turbozed

RGo

This user has no status.

RGo

This user has no status.
May 2023
I doubt very much that sweat is going to make blades noticeably heavier, especially over time, as the moisture gets in but also seeps out again. Most types of wood are too dense to absorb a lot of liquid anyway. I guess, the only exception I could come up with is balsa blades, as balsa is quite porous so maybe someone who plays balsa blades can share their experience if that's the case or not.