says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
Jan 2018
Quick question - vega intro out of stock in 2 mm (black) at TT11. Should I get max instead or 1.8mm, or wait till it comes back? Currently been using 2mm for 1 yr.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi ttdad. I think you're doing wondeful job for your son! I wish my dad was as keen and thoughtful as you when I was kid.

My daughter started playing TT from age 5 to 11, training around 25 hours a week. So I really understand when you say that your son needing an "upgrade" or "step up" in equpments because I felt exactly the same way.

I can safely say that your son would be just fine with same set up for at least another few years.

As your son receives formal coaching and practice regularly, his progress in techniques would far outpace the gain in speed/spin by changing the equipment. I've seen many kids in my club who gain absolutely nothing by changing from Vega Europe and Mark V to the latest ESN rubber or Tenergy. Kids who finish in Top 8 in the national tournaments were just fine with beginner's rubber. And we're talking about U12 national tournament in Japan where thousands of kids who are better than 95% of adults participate.

If your coach thinks he needs faster rubber or your son would be extra motivated by doing so, please go ahead but just giving you an assurance that it won't hurt one bit if you don't.

On a contrary note, I see all kind of Chinese coaches "issue" and strongly suggest (cough cough) their kid students not even ten use the "Standard" Chinese Offensive Weapon of Choice (SCOWC) - a BTY Viscaria with H3 FH and T05 BH.

Personally, I think a kid could develop with that bat or a slower bat... so long as kid is getting corrected and gets the reps... and doesn't EJ.

Reactions: ttpshot and ttdad
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Quick question - vega intro out of stock in 2 mm (black) at TT11. Should I get max instead or 1.8mm, or wait till it comes back? Currently been using 2mm for 1 yr.

There's no real difference.
First of all these aren't accurate, you could be ordering 1.8 and getting anywhere between 1.6 and like 1.9 or something., and the topsheets also vary like that. And that's a beginner low cost rubber. Even with butterfly tenergy you can have sheets varying like 10 grams from each other for the same type of rubber.

Secondly, if it's a little kid with no real muscle power there really is no difference at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttdad and ttpshot
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
On a contrary note, I see all kind of Chinese coaches "issue" and strongly suggest (cough cough) their kid students not even ten use the "Standard" Chinese Offensive Weapon of Choice (SCOWC) - a BTY Viscaria with H3 FH and T05 BH.

Personally, I think a kid could develop with that bat or a slower bat... so long as kid is getting corrected and gets the reps... and doesn't EJ.

Yep, true that. Also, SOME coaches who also acts as an equipment distributor are very eager to push new equipments to students but that's another matter altogether I guess.

I was brought up with carbon blade and glued Sriver so I do see your point. I'm pretty confident I'd still have poor techniques even with slower setup anyways.

Jan 2018
I am thinking I should introduce my son to playing official matches. Any suggestions? I read somewhere that unrated players will not be allowed to play in certain tournaments/championships or something to that effect. Can some one shed some light on what this means and how to go about from here. How should one get a rating if they are not allowed to play the tournament? Thanks

Means an unrated player may only advance from group in the Open...

may enter any other event but not advance past group.

Can the director of a USATT tournament judge a high initial rating and which is a better - to start with a high initial rating and then carefully select tournaments in order to progress in rating, or start with a proper, or even lower rating and work hard to develop and progress?

Jan 2018
Thanks for the replies. Sorry still confused. What is a group? Do you mean they can advance if they are playing an open tournament?

This user has no status.
Thanks for the replies. Sorry still confused. What is a group? Do you mean they can advance if they are playing an open tournament?

Typically, tournaments are round robin. That means players are divided in subgroups and play amongst each other, with the top 1-3 advancing depending on the size. Your son just wouldn't be able to advance in his first tournament. He'll still get to play the group stage matches which will establish a rating.

He can, however, advance in the Open division. The Open has no rating cap and is typically where the best players in the tournament choose to play. All other divisions have a maximum USATT rating cap, where players above that rating cap will not be allowed to compete.

Reactions: pgpg and ttdad
Jan 2018
I get it now about the open tournament, so if he plays U13 or U 1500 rating group will this rule still apply? My understanding is he will be allowed to advance in a U13 age group since players will have a wide range of ratings. Where as U1500 group he may not be allowed to advance since all players are under 1500? Thanks a lot.

This user has no status.
I get it now about the open tournament, so if he plays U13 or U 1500 rating group will this rule still apply? My understanding is he will be allowed to advance in a U13 age group since players will have a wide range of ratings. Where as U1500 group he may not be allowed to advance since all players are under 1500? Thanks a lot.

I know for a fact that rule will apply for the U1500, but can't speak to the U13 because I haven't played a tournament with age groups.

Reactions: ttdad
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015

This kind of depends on the tournament - I know some tournament directors will estimate your rating and will let you advance even in rated events (no clue about U13 etc.). Keep in mind this 'no advancing in your first tournament' is mostly there to prevent good players without rating abusing the system and cleaning up a bunch of lower level events for trophies/money/prestige etc. Have to keep competition fair...

So, you are better off contacting tournament organizers and asking them directly.

Reactions: Suga D and ttdad
Jan 2018
Any recommendations for someone like my son who is just starting out as far as which group should he try first age group or the ratings group. Any advantages v disadvantages. And can one participate in more than one group in the same tournament for the singles category?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Any recommendations for someone like my son who is just starting out as far as which group should he try first age group or the ratings group. Any advantages v disadvantages. And can one participate in more than one group in the same tournament for the singles category?

Yes, you can play multiple events, just not the ones that happen at the same time. I'd start with lowest rated ones. You can do age-based ones too, but be prepared to be blown away by someone who's younger but was training for several years - playing level variation in these is pretty high in my experience. With rating-based events you have a better idea what to expect.

This user has no status.
Yes, you can play multiple events, just not the ones that happen at the same time. I'd start with lowest rated ones. You can do age-based ones too, but be prepared to be blown away by someone who's younger but was training for several years - playing level variation in these is pretty high in my experience. With rating-based events you have a better idea what to expect.

I'd agree with pgpg that you want to be conservative in choosing a division(s) for your son to play in. Maybe ask his coach to recommend? The local club seems to pick divisions for all of the players taking lessons there and they always kick ass in tournaments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I like asking the coach idea - if he's already playing at 1300 level, there is no need for him to be entering U750 event, as an example.
I also heard of some coaches holding off their pupils for a long time and then entering them in low events to make sure they win their first event, for instance. Not sure how I feel about that one...

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The strategic objectives of the first few tourneys should be to learn the different dynamics of a real tourney and learn to function under pressure in not so optimal positions.

Developing winning habits comes first, consistently winning comes afterwards... or ought to.

Jan 2018
Great replies, thanks. Any suggestions as far as where to look for upcoming tournaments. Will USATT have all of them listed? Not able to find many near where I live in Virginia Beach. I think Der had mentioned about some app a few weeks back on one of his posts.