Fan Zhendong using Hurricane on backhand: Interview

says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
Oct 2015
I know Ding Ning used Hurricane 8 during 2014 Women's World Cup. Not sure what she is using now.

She is using hurricane 3 neo orange sponge at the moment. IMG-20160202-WA0001.jpgIMG-20160202-WA0002.jpg

Oct 2015
Hehe, carl and giang are actually right on spot.
But man, i think i really got infected. :)

But I just received a sheet of a used GENUINE National Hurricane3 from a friend who played at the German Open and got it from someone from the CNT. He just couldn't remember from who it was.
If i post a pic of it later, maybe you guys can tell whose rubber it was from the stamp on it... Is that possible?

Let me see the photo please, I will let you who she/he is.

Reactions: Suga D
Oct 2015
There is a rumor going on that Ding Ning is using H8 but with the orange sponge. The H8 might come in a BS version, but in which quality no one knows. Perhaps Chen Chen could elaborate?

I got some National cleaner for my rubber which I got from the National team here. It made my rubbers national... Gotta go...

DHS had 3 new products after new 40+ balls, all commercial versions, fh rubber hurricane 8 orange sponge, bh rubber hurricane 3-50 (hurricane 3 top sheet+ tin arc sponge which is #50) and skyline 3-60 (shyline 3 top sheet +tin arc 3 sponge which is #60), but the market response isn't good in china, people are still playing with the old balls, and the new balls cost more. DHS is sort of stopping putting more time to invest new products.

Personally, the hurricane 8 blue sponge I have, the quality is decent, for non professional players, it is good enough and lucky to have it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey Chen Chen,

thanks. I just took the photo with my mobile, so i hope the quality is good enough.

View attachment 9166
View attachment 9167

It looks like it has the National symbol (the rectangle glyph to the left of the number 2 at the bottom). But I am not sure it has a player's name written on it. I could be wrong though.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Oct 2015
It looks like it has the National symbol (the rectangle glyph to the left of the number 2 at the bottom). But I am not sure it has a player's name written on it. I could be wrong though.

Agreed. You are right. It is a national version. Probably it is for their daily training I guess. Something interesting to me is the sponge color. Yellow? Or because of the flash light?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Agreed. You are right. It is a national version. Probably it is for their daily training I guess. Something interesting to me is the sponge color. Yellow? Or because of the flash light?

Thanks Chen Chen.

Nah, it's actually orange. The flashlight made it look so yellowish. Thanks for your help, mate.
If only i knew whose rubber it was. But on the other hand: not so important...
:)
Since it's got a reverse dome, it seems it awaits a little treatment. ;)

Too bad i caught the flu and won't be able to test it before next week. But after the treatment it's anyway gonna take a while for the dome to come down again.

Can't wait to test it. Feeling like a teenager fanboy... :)

Oh oh, i guess i might need carl's help to shake off the goon squad.
;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I have to say I'm not surprised in the shift to tacky backhand rubber. I've always felt the benefits outweigh the cons for someone with proper form and physical conditioning.

With the switch to poly ball, the notion of consistency has become increasingly prevalent over quick finishes. Take for instance Ma Long (and his German League kill streak domination). His gear is not exceedingly fast (or wasnt when he played with the all wood HL3), rather more control and feedback oriented that allows him to out perform his opponents in consistency (while relying on his sheer athleticism for raw power and speed). Xu Xin as well, his blade of choice being the Stiga intensity NCT (non carbon version, an allround+/offensive- blade) but his style is pure (and constant barrage of) attack.

My "suggestions" for Zhang Jike (as if anybody cared) would be to move away from the carbon blade viscarias to an all wood blade for now, it would make the difference of shots hitting the table vs. flying out, especially since he plays a more control oriented game. (He himself has complained about being unable to finish strong against ML, so he tries to finish fast).

Back to the topic at hand. In my novice experience, descent Chinese style tacky rubbers, while maintaining a higher learning curb also provide tremendous control and feedback, rewarding good technique and punishing bad. Contrary to these rubbers, the tenergys feel like miniature hand canons good for obliterating your opponent, quicker to pick up but harder to control. And now, with the switch to the heavier poly ball, the tacky rubbers provide the added advantage of spin more so than their non-tacky counterparts.. for now.

Oct 2015
Thanks Chen Chen.

Nah, it's actually orange. The flashlight made it look so yellowish. Thanks for your help, mate.
If only i knew whose rubber it was. But on the other hand: not so important...
Since it's got a reverse dome, it seems it awaits a little treatment. ;)

Too bad i caught the flu and won't be able to test it before next week. But after the treatment it's anyway gonna take a while for the dome to come down again.

Can't wait to test it. Feeling like a teenager fanboy... :)

Oh oh, i guess i might need carl's help to shake off the goon squad.
;)

No worries. Let me know if you need any help with chinese stuff.

41 degree might be a little bit hard, but orange sponge will be a bit softer than blue one. Good luck with the rubber. Hope you will like it on your FH.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I use Tenergy 05, BS version - and you all know what BS really stands for...

Pulling from deep in the 70s. The O'Jays explain what BS really really means:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Should be awesome to try suga d what are you going to glue it on with just put another layer on top of the old glue?

Hey Ripper,
does this answer your question?
;)

IMG_20160203_200553.jpg
IMG_20160203_232305.jpg
IMG_20160203_232321.jpg
IMG_20160203_233610.jpg
IMG_20160203_233627.jpg

I've never seen such an enormous amount of glue on a rubber. :)
Well anyway, now it looks like this, so i still gotta be patient, before i can glue it on my Backup Blade...
IMG_20160204_011209.jpg
IMG_20160204_011339.jpg

BTW: sorry for hijacking your thread, TT-Hopeful. I somehow got carried away.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Suga_D, did you add boost? Why did you take that glue off? I have a feeling that glue and the amount is part of the secret of H3 National. There is a reason there is so much and how it balls up and is not like the silicon style glue. My money says the boost would have gone right through that glue and into the sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Suga_D, did you add boost? Why did you take that glue off? I have a feeling that glue and the amount is part of the secret of H3 National. There is a reason there is so much and how it balls up and is not like the silicon style glue. My money says the boost would have gone right through that glue and into the sponge.

I'm afraid you could be right. I hope i didn't spoil it.

I was told to put on a little bit of booster to settle that reverse dome. So i did. But the Rubber hardly reacted, and then there were these little blobs of glue on the edges, as you can see in the first pic.

I tried to peel off one of those blobs, cause they make it always look like a bad glue-job, and then all of a sudden i held a whole sheet of some slimey stuff (glue???) in my fingers. And there still was a layer on the sponge. So i just removed that rest as well.
That glue felt like no other glue i felt before. Somewhat a bit like that green slime stuff, we used to play with as kids.

Maybe i've should've sent this glue to a laboratory and get it examined...
;)

And as one can see, the rubber reacted very well after the removal.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hey guys! One doubt. I have seen in various posts about the dome where sponge seems to be much more expanded,hence the topsheet is inside the curl, and the sponge is on the outside side of curl. But, with me, the curl is always reversed.
I do apply baby oil on topsheet once a month by the way.
Anyone has any idea about this and is it good?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hey guys! One doubt. I have seen in various posts about the dome where sponge seems to be much more expanded,hence the topsheet is inside the curl, and the sponge is on the outside side of curl. But, with me, the curl is always reversed.
I do apply baby oil on topsheet once a month by the way.
Anyone has any idea about this and is it good?

Since we've been already drifting away from the topic, i hope TT-Hopeful doesn't mind if i answer.
Adding oil to the topsheet only helps to restore grip for a while and makes the topsheet softer.
No wonder your rubber is reverse-doming. Due to your treatment the topsheet seems it has expanded but not the sponge.

If one wants to boost his/her rubber, a few thin layers on the SPONGE, not on the topsheet, or maybe just a tiny little bit.
The sponge expansion causes the topsheet to stretch, or how the industry calls it: to be tensioned.
Applying the oil to the topsheet should only be done to bring back old topsheets to life for a short while.

As carl already mentioned a few days ago in another thread: sorry to say, but it looks as if your treatment is gonna make your rubber lose its life a little sooner...

Look, even if you are not trying to boost the rubber and you are putting oil on the topsheet, you should know, the reason oils "restore" a rubber's performance, is because they cause the molecular bonds in the rubber to break down. Then they don't line up as well and they grab the ball better for a short time. After that short time, the rubber performs worse.

Personally, I would not store a rubber soaking in oil. I would store it as is. And if, when I used it again I felt the rubber needed "rejuvenation", I would add some form of oil then. I personally like WD40 better for topsheets but baby oil is okay too.

However, I would never, let me repeat that, NEVER put oil on the topsheet of a brand new Tenergy or any other rubber.

That is just a fairly expensive waste of time and money.

Those rubbers do not need something to make the topsheet perform better when they are new. And all that will do is make them have a much shorter lifespan.

Using oil to "restore" the grip of a topsheet is for when the topsheet has LOST ITS GRIP! Not for when it is new. You can't restore what it hasn't lost. But you can cause it to die faster.

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?12217-How-to-store-used-rubbers&p=134766

Sorry, mate. Hope your rubbers still gonna last long.

This user has no status.
Since we've been already drifting away from the topic, i hope TT-Hopeful doesn't mind if i answer.
Adding oil to the topsheet only helps to restore grip for a while and makes the topsheet softer.
No wonder your rubber is reverse-doming. Due to your treatment the topsheet seems it has expanded but not the sponge.

If one wants to boost his/her rubber, a few thin layers on the SPONGE, not on the topsheet, or maybe just a tiny little bit.
The sponge expansion causes the topsheet to stretch, or how the industry calls it: to be tensioned.
Applying the oil to the topsheet should only be done to bring back old topsheets to life for a short while.

As carl already mentioned a few days ago in another thread: sorry to say, but it looks as if your treatment is gonna make your rubber lose its life a little sooner...

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?12217-How-to-store-used-rubbers&p=134766

Sorry, mate. Hope your rubbers still gonna last long.
Whoa! I never thought what would happen in long life! Thanks for throwing light on it.
Anyway, instead kf using boosters(factory made), can I use oil as home made booster?