First custom made paddle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
Hi everyone!

I'm occasionally playing after work with Joola classic and I played a couple local tournaments. I want to become better in this game and maybe in the end to join local TT club.
I personally feel I'm not a complete beginner but of course I can be biased. I usually play offensive but would like to train on how to generate more spin.

After scrolling the internet and trying to assemble my first paddle, I ended up with:
  • Yasaka Sweden extra
  • Rakza 7 FH (2.0 mm)
  • Rakza 7/7 Soft/Xiom Vega Europe BH (2.0 mm or max)
Could you please advise me which option should I choose? And is it a good option overall?

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hi everyone!

I'm occasionally playing after work with Joola classic and I played a couple local tournaments. I want to become better in this game and maybe in the end to join local TT club.
I personally feel I'm not a complete beginner but of course I can be biased. I usually play offensive but would like to train on how to generate more spin.

After scrolling the internet and trying to assemble my first paddle, I ended up with:
  • Yasaka Sweden extra
  • Rakza 7 FH (2.0 mm)
  • Rakza 7/7 Soft/Xiom Vega Europe BH (2.0 mm or max)
Could you please advise me which option should I choose? And is it a good option overall?

Thanks!
Agree with the blade.

Agree with Rakza 7 FH and do not go thicker than 2.0mm.

Backhand should be Vega Europe BH 2.0mm.

Reactions: ma_short and truex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Thank you for the advice!
Do you mind if I ask you what thoughts you had in mind when you picked it?
Speed. I don't want the set up to be too fast for you. But I don't like sponge thinner than 2.0mm because your goal is to continue advance your looping skills. So you don't need max sponge. I think 2.0mm would be perfect.

Xiom Vega Europe has a certain amount of catapult but not too much. So I think it will be very good for your backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
Speed. I don't want the set up to be too fast for you. But I don't like sponge thinner than 2.0mm because your goal is to continue advance your looping skills. So you don't need max sponge. I think 2.0mm would be perfect.

Xiom Vega Europe has a certain amount of catapult but not too much. So I think it will be very good for your backhand.
But I would be able to practice how to spin with it? I always admire when my opponent does that

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
But I would be able to practice how to spin with it? I always admire when my opponent does that
You'll be able to spin quite well with that setup. If this is your first custom setup then you're basically a beginner IMO, and at that stage the important thing is to just learn technique. Worst thing for you would be to overthink the setup, and what @JJ Ng recommended is a perfectly good setup that can take you through the intermediate level easily.

Reactions: truex and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Blade is fine but I would not use Rakza 7 soft if you want to be able to take the offensive on your backhand. It's too soft and slow. Go with the thickest sponge available for the rubber of your choice if you want spin and offense. Also consider a Chinese or hybrid rubber for you forehand. My choice is the Loki Arthur China, possibly the best performing rubber for the money right now. Spinny, faster than H3 and crispy feeling and does not require boosting.

Reactions: truex