glue sheet usage

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That's exactly the point: Most players have a negative opinion about glue sheets, without ever having tried them!
They give their "expert" opinion without any real experience!

A friend of mine who considers himself "an expert" on equipment, was telling me that glue sheets do not give the same "spring effect" that glue has and glue sheets are inferior in this area
As I have two identical blades and in order to test his theory, I've had two identical setups (same blade, same rubbers) one with Bfly glue and one with glue sheets. I gave them both to play with and tell me which one was with glue and which one was with glue sheets. He actually couldn't find any difference and we repeated the test about 5-6 times!
So everything said about glue sheets is bull***t. They just never tried them. At first, even I was biased that glue gives a more springy effect....
have you or better tt tried more than 1 layer of glue sheet?
eager to hear if it feels different to just 1 layer.
ie 3 vs 1 layer
some pros like to have 5 + layers of glue on,

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Well, now that you have edited it and corrected the procedure it makes more sense.
But of course it is still bollocks because if you have the weak side on the blade and the sticky side on the rubber you will never get the rubber off and leave the glue sheet on the blade.

You might have common sense but no experience.🤣🤣🤣
In my original post I had just mistyped "rubber" instead of "blade".
You have two options for removal:
1. Remove the rubber from the glue sheet (by leaving the glue sheet on the blade) and then removing the glue sheet from the blade.
2. Remove the rubber and the glue sheet together from the blade and then removing the glue sheet from the rubber.

I use the first method for years now, because removing the glue sheet from the blade is much easier than removing it from the sponge. Ungluing the glue sheet from the sponge will most likely damage the sponge or tear the rubber

If you find the second method easier, that's fine.

• Haha
Reactions: riemsesy and lodro
says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
have you or better tt tried more than 1 layer of glue sheet?
eager to hear if it feels different to just 1 layer.
ie 3 vs 1 layer
some pros like to have 5 + layers of glue on,
It's pointless I think to use more than 1 glue sheet.
With one sheet, the bond is strong enough for both blade and rubber, while multiple sheets wouldn't add any "sping effect" that multiple layers of glue may give.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
while multiple sheets wouldn't add any "sping effect" that multiple layers of glue may give.
I'm not sure about this, so interested to try or get someone to try or if anyone has already tried it?

i do believe glue will be better in this regards though, as if glue sheet is "magical", someone would have figured out by now.
I am just curious and trying to fit in the glue sheet discussion, as I have only ever used it to glue OX rubbers in my "gluing" career.
and I have glued thousands of rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
I use the Victas glue sheets, $1.60 AUD for a 2-pack at tt-japan. Better than glue IMO. Unless you boost.

The biggest advantage is when you touch the table with your rubber and lift it up partially (eg: during serve return) - with glue sheets you just press the rubber down again and it's fixed. With glue you would need to use it as is until you get home, then start the re-gluing process all over again.

It's easy to get it flat no matter what surface the blade has. However the blade needs to have a flat, smooth surface. I also seal my blades with 2 layers of sealer.

They stick well to the blade and more weakly to rubber. However it's fast, easy and they can be re-used several times. You just roll them onto the blade with a rolling pin very gently. Then you peel the cover partially to check for bubbles, if you see any you replace the cover and rub that area with your fingers and check again. Repeat procedure until there are no bubbles. Bubbles are usually caused by a warped blade surface. You can also use a pin to prick any bubbles that won't go away, to let the air out, but you need to be careful not to damage the blade.

When removing it from the blade, you should try to remove it perpendicular to the grain of the wood if you can. This will reduce the likelihood of splintering. Also I try to rub it off to the side, I don't lift up the glue sheet from the blade face.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
Well, I've heard from other glue sheet users that they re-use them 3-4 times but I've never tried it, as I change glue sheets with every new pair of rubbers.
Have you ever tried re-using them?
Yes, seems to work. Tried current one like 3 times and still works. Just needs a bit of pressure to get it sticking again. However I feel that they can get dirty by sticking to random microscopic particles that come off the rubber, so they stick less well every time. But it's good if you are trying a few different rubbers on successive nights to evaluate. It's good enough for that. They are cheap enough that you can change them every time if you want to.

Some rubbers stick stronger than others for some reason. Maybe some kind of residue is left on the sponge, or pore sizes make a difference.

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
The sheet has instructions on it that says 'this side for rubber'. So it's two sided. I haven't tested which side is stronger, I just use it as per the instructions.
The stronger side is for the rubber, the weaker for the blade.
There are cheapskates however, who find it very difficult to comprehend it, because they buy Chinese glue sheets with no instructions on them as they have the same intensity on both sides.

At least a simple google search would save them from making a total fool of themselves...
Xiom Glue Sheets.jpg

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
There are cheapskates however, who find it very difficult to comprehend it, because they buy Chinese glue sheets with no instructions on them as they have the same intensity on both sides.
has nothing to do with cheapskates, quite the opposite. The cheap chinese sheets are only used once and then thrown away with the used up rubbers. No need for wasting money for a "once only".
And I still wonder what the ""optimum stickiness "" means.

• Haha
Reactions: Arkady
says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Yes, seems to work. Tried current one like 3 times and still works. Just needs a bit of pressure to get it sticking again. However I feel that they can get dirty by sticking to random microscopic particles that come off the rubber, so they stick less well every time. But it's good if you are trying a few different rubbers on successive nights to evaluate. It's good enough for that. They are cheap enough that you can change them every time if you want to.

Some rubbers stick stronger than others for some reason. Maybe some kind of residue is left on the sponge, or pore sizes make a difference.
Well yes, if wanted to try a used pair of rubbers that are already cut, I wouldn't change glue sheets as it would be just for a few hours.But when I put brand new rubbers, I always use new glue sheets.

1.60$ AUD for the pair of Victas that you've mentioned, is crazy cheap! Tibhar Duo that I use, is about 6€/ pair which is almost 4 times more expensive!

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I still need an explanation of the difference between maximum adhesion and maximum stickiness . A real scientific explanation would be really nice 😁
😁 😁
Just a friendly piece of advice: When your ignorance is so blatantly revealed, it's pointless to keep up the charade. You're only ridiculing yourself further. But I guess advices go to waste, to a self proclaimed "clown"...