Good Blade for MX-P

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
If you can find one that's on the heavy side for the model, say 88gr or so I think you probably hit hard enough that the Liu Shiwen blade would work well for you. I believe it's Limba outer, and gives me tons of dwell, hence great spin. And it's not so fast that you won't be able to swing away on loops, which will allow you to impart more spin on the ball. I've found that with MX-P to get monster spin you have to 'hit it' pretty good, but if you can do that it creates great spin, and speed! I've got faster blades, but they are not as suited to MX-P as the LS, at least for me. Good luck with your choice!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
If you can find one that's on the heavy side for the model, say 88gr or so I think you probably hit hard enough that the Liu Shiwen blade would work well for you. I believe it's Limba outer, and gives me tons of dwell, hence great spin. And it's not so fast that you won't be able to swing away on loops, which will allow you to impart more spin on the ball. I've found that with MX-P to get monster spin you have to 'hit it' pretty good, but if you can do that it creates great spin, and speed! I've got faster blades, but they are not as suited to MX-P as the LS, at least for me. Good luck with your choice!

One of my regular training partners (my teammate: 13. yo. full out attacker. He is in top 10 in hungary U13). used two Liu Shiwen with T64, T80 and T05 (mostly T64). I think it's a very good blade, but since he changed to Viscaria his loops are heavier (more spin) and he is better now off the table. I felt the Viscaria has a better weight balance too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
I think NL gives the best advice: try to borrow other club members' blades to see what you like. Especially if they have MX-P on their blades. It's such an individual based topic that really the only good way to know ahead of time is to try for yourself. If you were going to use Tenergy rubber I would agree that Viscaria is great choice. It works for MX-P as well, and is faster overall than LS. In my hands I like the LS blade better when using MX-P though. And Kevin is on target with his suggestion of one coat of Falco Long on the MX-P!! I was blown away first time I hit with that combo.

This user has no status.
I think NL gives the best advice: try to borrow other club members' blades to see what you like. Especially if they have MX-P on their blades. It's such an individual based topic that really the only good way to know ahead of time is to try for yourself. If you were going to use Tenergy rubber I would agree that Viscaria is great choice. It works for MX-P as well, and is faster overall than LS. In my hands I like the LS blade better when using MX-P though. And Kevin is on target with his suggestion of one coat of Falco Long on the MX-P!! I was blown away first time I hit with that combo.

Yea i tried one of my friends rackets with mxp boosted with ftl and it was pretty cool. He had a tibhar stratus carbon bladed the feel was so so but the handle was the worst handle i've ever put in my hand.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Are there any substantial differences between the spark and the zlf?

Spark is AL (Arylate without Carbon). It is a great blade but definitely different than the TB ZLF. Both would work well with MXP though.

The Arylate makes the Spark softer. I love the way the Spark feels.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
So limba is softer than koto, but are blades with koto outers like viscaria and tb zlc necessarily hard/stiff blades?

No. Stiff means not flexible, and has more to do with the rest of the blade than the top ply. Hard/soft is used to describe how a blade feels when the ball bounces on it; the top ply is one of the most important factors for that. You can have super stiff blades with Limba outer and flexy blades with koto outers. But everything else being the same Limba will feel softer. what makes viscaria quite stiff despite being thin is the alc layer, not so much the koto outer. (There’s more to the story but that’s the gist of it.)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
But can a blade have a somewhat soft feeling with koto

So by its name i guess it has a soft feeling.

I think you are starting to drive yourself a little crazy and now you are beginning to ask some of the wrong questions.

NextLevel really gave all the info you need to know.

You can have a blade where the top ply is hard, like Koto, and what is under it is soft, like most of those ALC blades (Viscaria, TB ALC etc) and it has a soft feeling but a hard top ply so a crisp feeling too.

But none of this stuff actually matters. Don't try and turn this into an attempt at logic. Try a bunch of blades out. Let how the blades feel in your hand help you decide what is right for you and what helps you get more spin.

If your coach does want you to get a blade that gives you more flex and more dwell for spin, good choices really might be things like:

Korbel
Primorac Off-
Innerforce ZLF
Innerforce ALC
Innerforce ZLC

But go ahead, read NextLevel's post again, maybe 2 or 3 times.

The truth is that you should ask your coach what blade he recommends. I would say simply use a conventional offensive Euro blade like a Boll ALC or Viscaria, but if those are still too stiff, then it means that your coach is asking you to really slow it down and go to something like an Innerforce ALCS or a Primorac or and Innerforce ZLC.

You come from a club with lots of good players and lots of people whose equipment you can test. I think you really should borrow blades from people around you rather than come to a forum like this.

So at the really reasonable all wood end - Primorac OFF-.

At a slightly higher wood end - A Korbel.

At a slower composite end - Innerforce ALCS or Innerforce ZLC.

At a faster composite end - Boll ALC or Boll ZLC or the ZOO equivalents if you prefer those handles or a classic Viscaria.

But you just have to hit with someone else's blade to get a feel for the speed and the feeling. Even if you think you play with power, playing with a slower blade will add spin automatically. A faster rubber like MX-P will reduce your swing output and let you focus on adding spin to the ball. This is probably what your coach is looking for.

That post is all you need. And that post could have just ended the thread. Everything you want is in this post.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yep. Other people's blades are how I discovered most of tne stuff I have used for long periods of time. I have used Viscaria for most of the last 11 years thanks to a clubmate. It was ok with MXP.

I play with mx-p pretty much from when I started playing so I tested it with quite a few blades (rediculus amount really) and it fits great with any blade you slap it on. That being said there is something special, some great synergy with that rubbers and Tibhar CCA unlimited. Awesome combo!

Great synergy indeed. Check out this review https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/equipment/blades/13132-cca-unlimited/reviews/148683 :)
I have recently glued a brand new sheet of MX-P on my CCA Unlimited and it was too fast. FH topspins were flying all over the place!
In my case, I would say the match is perfect when the initial boost of MX-P starts to fade.
Out of the blister, I love to play with MX-P on the Force Pro Black Edition! :cool:

How about Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition?
It is a fantastic match. At least it is for me!
Compared to a composite blade like CCA Ulimited, I have less feedback. But the catapult is a bit weaker and the control greater when using a fully boosted (= new) sheet of MX-P.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok so I was looking around at blades and stumbled upon the Zhang Jike ALC. Does anyone know how it compares to other ALC blades like Timo Boll ALC and Viscaria?
When I wrote ZOO in my long post that Carl liked, I really meant the ZJK (sorry - autocorrect).

According to Butterfly, the ZJK, TBS, TB-ALC, Viscaria and Kenta Matsudaira are all different takes on the same Koto-ALC plies (different handles mostly and maybe balance and some coating for the ALC).

Handle choice is VERY important - at least, it is not trivial for many people - so it is worth seeing which handle and blade balance you like best.