Grip problems

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
......i want to ask some of the players on how to fix this problem i a quick way because i have a big tournament next week........ So here the problem i have a problem in my grip my forehand grip is not the same as my backhand grip and i have trouble changing between forehand and backhand because of this problem......... So can anyone please help me find a way or a specific way of training to remove this problem in the minimum amount of days........sorry for bad english

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
How high is your playing level?

Timo Boll and many top players change grip from Backhand to forehand and for different shots as well.

Don't think about it - play how you feel comfortable. After the tournament, you can work on it if you want.

If you really need to work on it, you need to find a grip out of which you can play all your shots and while there are a few, it means you may have to retrain your shots - that is not something you want to be doing with a big tournament next week unless your playing level is really low...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
How high is your playing level?

Timo Boll and many top players change grip from Backhand to forehand and for different shots as well.

Don't think about it - play how you feel comfortable. After the tournament, you can work on it if you want.

If you really need to work on it, you need to find a grip out of which you can play all your shots and while there are a few, it means you may have to retrain your shots - that is not something you want to be doing with a big tournament next week unless your playing level is really low...

I will try to ignore it because after the tournament there is 90% chance I'm getting pimples on the backhand so it probably won't matter but i need to get in the top 4 in this tournament and I'm ranked 6th the top 4 go to a training tournament in Korea for 60 days

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you need to get into the top 4, the most important thing is serve, serve receive, third ball, and fourth ball in that order. Make those as sharp as possible. That is all you should be working on and playing training matches. Study your opponents and watch them play others and see what their weaknesses are. See the kinds of serves they do not like, know their weaker sides and know how to play against them. That is what you should be doing now - forget grip change!

Also, know what they would like to do to you and how you want to counter it. Know what you will do if they change plans. Just get ready to fight and fight!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
If you need to get into the top 4, the most important thing is serve, serve receive, third ball, and fourth ball in that order. Make those as sharp as possible. That is all you should be working on and playing training matches. Study your opponents and watch them play others and see what their weaknesses are. See the kinds of serves they do not like, know their weaker sides and know how to play against them. That is what you should be doing now - forget grip change!

Also, know what they would like to do to you and how you want to counter it. Know what you will do if they change plans. Just get ready to fight and fight!

Im like 6th and 4th place is so close and the 5th 4th and 3rd place players I've beaten them before it's just so close yet so far I'm prepared physically but no mentally I'm still feeling scared that this is my last chance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Im like 6th and 4th place is so close and the 5th 4th and 3rd place players I've beaten them before it's just so close yet so far I'm prepared physically but no mentally I'm still feeling scared that this is my last chance

You have to forget the result and focus on the game plan and keep executing. If you continue to focus on the result, you will not be happy with how you play. If you know what you intend to do and how you want to play, you will play your best. If you think about whether you are winning or losing, the moment will take over you.

http://www.butterflyonline.com/stat...Table-Tennis-Coaching-1st-Game-Game-Plan.html

Reactions: Suga D and Cornel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
A wise man once said being perfect is not winning every match being perfect is being able to look yourself in the eye in the mirror after a match you lost and smile because there wasn't one more thing you could have done to win the match not one more thing you gave it your best there wasn't one more thing you could have done to win the match thats it. if you can look yourself in the eye and smile after that match then you are perfect and you will learn from your mistakes and continue to be a champion

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
NextLevel has really said everything that needs to be said.

The time to change your grip would be when you have all the time you need to change it, AND you know what grip you need to change to.

Two weeks away from a tournament focus on your serves. Getting ready after your serves for the third ball. Your receive of serve. And how you handle your opponent's 3rd ball.

There are ways to change your grip fast, if you have played around with different grips already. But it is more likely that changing your grip will cause you to play more tentatively and not as well at least for the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ok i will focus on service,receive and 3rd ball but how do i deal with pressure and fear

NextLevel already answered that. Don't focus on winning or the score. Focus on playing well in each point.

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ok i will focus on service,receive and 3rd ball but how do i deal with pressure and fear

NextLevel already answered this:

You have to forget the result and focus on the game plan and keep executing. If you continue to focus on the result, you will not be happy with how you play. If you know what you intend to do and how you want to play, you will play your best. If you think about whether you are winning or losing, the moment will take over you.

http://www.butterflyonline.com/stat...Table-Tennis-Coaching-1st-Game-Game-Plan.html

This quote of yours made it seem like you understood something extra:

A wise man once said being perfect is not winning every match being perfect is being able to look yourself in the eye in the mirror after a match you lost and smile because there wasn't one more thing you could have done to win the match not one more thing you gave it your best there wasn't one more thing you could have done to win the match thats it. if you can look yourself in the eye and smile after that match then you are perfect and you will learn from your mistakes and continue to be a champion

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

You seem pretty young. Do you have a coach? These are not new things and if you have an experienced coach, he can talk you through how he manages some of these issues.

The psychological part of sports performance is very personal and even with all the general tips, getting yourself to perform reliably at your best is something that you learn to do over time. But there is more and more stuff out there on playing well either in tight matches or when you have a big lead on a stronger player. The most important thing is to know how you intend to play and then let your body perform. Keep bringing the focus back to what you want to serve and how you intend to follow up behind the serve in terms of placement. This should be practiced and if your opponent doesn't play the way you want, just play whatever else you have practiced as your alternative response.

Someone asked a very good question from a sports psychologist (who once played table tennis semi-professionally) about keeping big leads and this was his answer. I think it is generally helpful for many if not all table tennis situations.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
You seem pretty young. Do you have a coach? These are not new things and if you have an experienced coach, he can talk you through how he manages some of these issues.

The psychological part of sports performance is very personal and even with all the general tips, getting yourself to perform reliably at your best is something that you learn to do over time. But there is more and more stuff out there on playing well either in tight matches or when you have a big lead on a stronger player. The most important thing is to know how you intend to play and then let your body perform. Keep bringing the focus back to what you want to serve and how you intend to follow up behind the serve in terms of placement. This should be practiced and if your opponent doesn't play the way you want, just play whatever else you have practiced as your alternative response.

Someone asked a very good question from a sports psychologist (who once played table tennis semi-professionally) about keeping big leads and this was his answer. I think it is generally helpful for many if not all table tennis situations.

well i am 13 years old i do have coach and a brother who also plays table tennis they r both not very experienced but very smart they have both been helping me since i was 10 and they are really close