H3 Change

This user has no status.
Hey guys, I haven’t been posting lately, but I am back needing help!
I have improved quite a bit since my leg healed. I went back to the Boll alc and feel that it’s great. But some questions arose.
1.I use a 39degree Provincial H3 OS unboosted, but recently I have found that almost every shot I make comes with a loud and crisp cracking sound, some higher level friends say I’m hitting through the rubber and should change for even more quality. I have two choices: either go for a harder OS H3 or a BS H3. I tried the BS and it felt great, but I’m still not sure. Also, if I should go for the BS, how hard? I heard that it’s a little softer than the same degree OS. ( OS= Orange sponge, BS= Blue sponge)
2. I sold my Primorac because it was too slow and not powerful enough, is the Donic Ovtcharov V1 a good choice for a training/fun blade?
Thanks everyone!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I have improved quite a bit since my leg healed. I went back to the Boll alc and feel that it’s great. But some questions arose.
1.I use a 39degree Provincial H3 OS unboosted, but recently I have found that almost every shot I make comes with a loud and crisp cracking sound, some higher level friends say I’m hitting through the rubber and should change for even more quality. I have two choices: either go for a harder OS H3 or a BS H3. I tried the BS and it felt great, but I’m still not sure. Also, if I should go for the BS, how hard? I heard that it’s a little softer than the same degree OS. ( OS= Orange sponge, BS= Blue sponge)
2. I sold my Primorac because it was too slow and not powerful enough, is the Donic Ovtcharov V1 a good choice for a training/fun blade?
Thanks everyone!
Blue sponge is actually harder in the same degrees as orange.

I recently have been testing both. I have been using blue since January on LGY ALC and about a month or so ago I got a spare LGY so I can test OS provincial and I definitely prefer blue. It is harder and faster and I would say more dynamic, spin is nastier in my opinion.

os is good very well controlled, softer and I would say slightly easier to use but blue is definitely faster and harder. Both rubbers boosted with 2 layers of seamoon.

to give u slight more detail I boosted my blue when brand new in January then I got OS in match and boosted same method, the blue in match was 2/2.5 months old and it still was faster than the recently boosted orange.

I have 2 blades LGYALC both same set up on bh Dignics 05 but fh on one I have blue and on other OS. Both provincial 39 2.15.

I would say orange is controlled spin blue is bit more aggressive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
Blue sponge is actually harder in the same degrees as orange.

I recently have been testing both. I have been using blue since January on LGY ALC and about a month or so ago I got a spare LGY so I can test OS provincial and I definitely prefer blue. It is harder and faster and I would say more dynamic, spin is nastier in my opinion.

os is good very well controlled, softer and I would say slightly easier to use but blue is definitely faster and harder. Both rubbers boosted with 2 layers of seamoon.

to give u slight more detail I boosted my blue when brand new in January then I got OS in match and boosted same method, the blue in match was 2/2.5 months old and it still was faster than the recently boosted orange.

I have 2 blades LGYALC both same set up on bh Dignics 05 but fh on one I have blue and on other OS. Both provincial 39 2.15.

I would say orange is controlled spin blue is bit more aggressive.

I read several reviews from chinese players and nobody confirms that in terms of speed and hardness. Some say that it FELT a bit faster but that is definitly smth else than saying that it is, especially for the statement concerning the hardness. The rubber has a certain degree of hardness so at best it can FEEL harder but it certainly isnt harder.

What i found and can actually confirm, is that the BS can create more spin and has a longer dwell time. But it is a bit more demanding and doesnt give you much room for error.
And the dealbreaker for me: It doesnt last as long as the OS. In many cases the rubber lives for around a month and some times only some weeks especially if you boost it, hit hard and train often.

Back to your questions:
1. I wouldnt say that you hit "through" the rubber, especially if you still hit the ball like in your videos i saw. Even if you improved i doubt that you hit hard enough for that. Especially the clicking sound usually is more like an indicator for a higher quality shot, than having issues with your equipment.
I mean compare yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXxwOVmp1JY
If you hit better and harder as him we might have to reevaluate, but before that i dont think you have anything to feel weird about^^

2. Primorac Carbon is supposed to be faster than your blade but i cant give you any further tipps about these blades because of lack of experience with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019

I read several reviews from chinese players and nobody confirms that in terms of speed and hardness. Some say that it FELT a bit faster but that is definitly smth else than saying that it is, especially for the statement concerning the hardness. The rubber has a certain degree of hardness so at best it can FEEL harder but it certainly isnt harder.

What i found and can actually confirm, is that the BS can create more spin and has a longer dwell time. But it is a bit more demanding and doesnt give you much room for error.
And the dealbreaker for me: It doesnt last as long as the OS. In many cases the rubber lives for around a month and some times only some weeks especially if you boost it, hit hard and train often.

Back to your questions:
1. I wouldnt say that you hit "through" the rubber, especially if you still hit the ball like in your videos i saw. Even if you improved i doubt that you hit hard enough for that. Especially the clicking sound usually is more like an indicator for a higher quality shot, than having issues with your equipment.
I mean compare yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXxwOVmp1JY
If you hit better and harder as him we might have to reevaluate, but before that i dont think you have anything to feel weird about^^

2. Primorac Carbon is supposed to be faster than your blade but i cant give you any further tipps about these blades because of lack of experience with it.

Apologies I should have stated correctly, blue feels harder in the same degrees as orange. And yes like u say blue is more demanding hence why I said orange is easier to use.

as for durability I boosted my blue for the second time last week 3 months after boosting first time and I train 3-4 times a wk for 3 hours per session and on top have played several competitions on top and it was still playing well prior to my reboost. Since boosting again it’s playing even better. I imagine this sheet will last another 2 months or even beyond that for training purposes, so I’m happy a sheet of blue lasting 5-6 months considering prior to this I was using D09C.

Reactions: Attitude
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
Apologies I should have stated correctly, blue feels harder in the same degrees as orange. And yes like u say blue is more demanding hence why I said orange is easier to use.

as for durability I boosted my blue for the second time last week 3 months after boosting first time and I train 3-4 times a wk for 3 hours per session and on top have played several competitions on top and it was still playing well prior to my reboost. Since boosting again it’s playing even better. I imagine this sheet will last another 2 months or even beyond that for training purposes, so I’m happy a sheet of blue lasting 5-6 months considering prior to this I was using D09C.

Understandable but this experience of not long lasting hurricane 3 BS are everywhere to find, so i am just saying that this might not happen to you but it does happen quite often, that the rubber dies early.

If you value the experience of a single person you find player on this forum who use their Hurricane 3 for over a year and still feel that it is in decent shape.
My own BS bubbled away after 3 months. 2 weeks after my second time boosting it which is okish, but still overall worse than my OS.

Btw if you dont boost you might rethink the decision of using Hurricane 3 overall. There are several rubbers which might give your better value for your money than unboosted Hurricane 3.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

Crisp cracking sound is not necessarily bad, as long as it also feels right to you. I have blades where it feels right, and one where it doesn't, so it depends, imo.

What does your friend recommend?

In your position, I'd go for H40 BS. I think, it is a matter of time, when you also try the H41, but if I had to vote, I'd vote for H40 now and H41 later, and not the other way around. At the same time, testing H41 is inevitable :)

Also, if something feels great, that is, imo, as long as it concerns harmless and less important stuff like TT eq., a point where the questions stop. That is all that matters.

@Attitude, my problem with the last 2 black H3 provincial BS was not the sponge, but the top-sheet. It is quite sensitive to cleaning with sponge, definitely clearly more than the red H3 provincial H37 (OS). I guess, I'll use solely my own skin with the next one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Sound is deceiving, especially when you are explaining it by word. Different blades make different sound. And it also depends on what shots specifically and what amount of power you are making.

if you make a lot of spin, you’ll hear a hum low frequency sound very close to your ear. It won’t be recorded in video since it’s too small. So don’t be deceived by that cracking sound in the videos. The cracking sound means you are making a lot of forward power. And they could be both generated at the same time. So it depends on what you want to practise. If you have been hitting too hard with no spin then yes, it may be better to trade that cracking sound for the hum sound to learn to feel the brushing first. Then try to make that hum sound louder over time.

if you try to power the ball a lot, then you’ll hear both, which is the case in the basic forehand top spin waming up. But the hum sound is not recorded. (I mean even your opponent won’t be able to hear it, let alone a poor camera)

Thanks everyone!

I mean, if you’ve tried BS, and it feels great. Then just go for BS🤯😅🤷

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sergey Tsos would tell all of you to boost if you want to feed income to oil makers... he would advise all to boost their BH with raw garlic and onions... or Popeye Spinach... or an occasional Tweety Bird.

Sylvester%20eating%20jpg.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I tried the BS and it felt great, but I’m still not sure. Also, if I should go for the BS, how hard? I heard that it’s a little softer than the same degree OS. ( OS= Orange sponge, BS= Blue sponge)

I would highly suggest trusting your feeling when playing and not internet advice :p If you tried someones setup ask to try it again in a game situation, maybe persuade them to play a single set match with you. If you like then buy it :| TT gear is based on personal taste. If in doubt ask your coach.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

what type of chicken?

Fried is best. Korean Fried Chicken even better.

You would make the Tsos unit very happy if you even fully cook it, but he is very favorable towards my style of dry rub seasoning and served with mashed potatoes and home gravy.

What kind of idiot man would hate on such a meal? Sergey is no idiot, he has me doing the cooking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

You would make the Tsos unit very happy if you even fully cook it, but he is very favorable towards my style of dry rub seasoning and served with mashed potatoes and home gravy.

What kind of idiot man would hate on such a meal? Sergey is no idiot, he has me doing the cooking.

Best meal is a free one :D