H3 not so tacky?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
which kinda makes me wonder : If it is ,more tacky but less spinny and also considering that it is not you who makes the spin......................what is it exactly that makes the spin ????????

Skyline 3 has longer and thinner pips than H3. It’s a double edged sword. On one hand the longer pips make the ball sink in more easily with less effort.

On the other hand H3 thicker pips mean higher ceiling for spin and speed

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
which kinda makes me wonder : If it is ,more tacky but less spinny and also considering that it is not you who makes the spin......................what is it exactly that makes the spin ????????
Apparently after some discussions here on TTD, it is the tangential coefficient of restitution of the rubber - so the more energy that the rubber returns to the ball after being stretched the spinnier the rubber is. The tackiness is just there to prevent slippage, that's it. That's how the likes of T05 can impart massive spin without much tackiness at all, and why boosting the sponge is so good for rubbers in general.

The other thing is that the more momentum you transfer into the ball with the appropriate contact, the more spinny it can be, so it's important to throw the whole body weight into all strokes. The same stroke with more momentum transfer will often be spinnier than the one with less momentum transfer.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Apparently after some discussions here on TTD, it is the tangential coefficient of restitution of the rubber - so the more energy that the rubber returns to the ball after being stretched the spinnier the rubber is. The tackiness is just there to prevent slippage, that's it. That's how the likes of T05 can impart massive spin without much tackiness at all, and why boosting the sponge is so good for rubbers in general.

The other thing is that the more momentum you transfer into the ball with the appropriate contact, the more spinny it can be, so it's important to throw the whole body weight into all strokes. The same stroke with more momentum transfer will often be spinnier than the one with less momentum transfer.
sorry but you missed the point of my question:
lodro said:

It was meant to be a rhetorical, or trick question :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Kolev and blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
sorry but you missed the point of my question:
lodro said:

It was meant to be a rhetorical, or trick question :cool:
C'mon Lodro , we are discussing tacky matters here. Spin is inessential

• Haha
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I also noticed that my latest H3 Nat and Neo Pro aren't as tacky as before which in my eyes isn't a bad thing. The extreme tack was working very well with the previous ball but I don't see any particular advatage with the P-Ball except while serving (maybe). As someone mentioned DHS are changing the trend into a mild tacky H3 and if we watch closely the big CNT guys, their H3 doesn't seem to be that tacky. Typical example is when they bounce lightly the ball on the blade before serving and it looks like there is not much tack, if any
indeed i wonder about two trends. The chinese reduce the tackiness and the europeans reduce the bounciness . So maybe we end up with the perfect rubber for everybody one of these days. 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I always thought that I needed the tackiness for my brushing, but yesterday I glued a Hurricane 3 National Orange Sponge 39deg to my Yinhe Pro 01 blade. Unboosted and it didn't lift the ball for more than 1/10 of a second. At first it was kind of dead, like I'm used to. But after playing a bit I had no problem using this like my harder Commercial 41deg on my a bit slower Yinhe V14 Pro blade. The brushing worked like before, or even better especially in the slower brushes. Of course it might have something to do with the with the softer sponge (39deg).

But I didn't miss the tack at all playing, and I tought that I would. Anyone else got similar experience with the non tacky H3?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I always thought that I needed the tackiness for my brushing, but yesterday I glued a Hurricane 3 National Orange Sponge 39deg to my Yinhe Pro 01 blade. Unboosted and it didn't lift the ball for more than 1/10 of a second. At first it was kind of dead, like I'm used to. But after playing a bit I had no problem using this like my harder Commercial 41deg on my a bit slower Yinhe V14 Pro blade. The brushing worked like before, or even better especially in the slower brushes. Of course it might have something to do with the with the softer sponge (39deg).

But I didn't miss the tack at all playing, and I tought that I would. Anyone else got similar experience with the non tacky H3?
I have a couple sheets of H3 neo that are not as tacky as before (I forgot if the shipments were from TT11 or Dandoy or both really). They play alright. They are still tackier than say G-1 or C-1 or Rakza 7 soft. I only play with commercial and I have heard that National H3 is slightly less tacky. These couple sheets of H3 neo are still relatively new and since I am EJ'ing right now, they don't get a lot of use. I will see what happens later on. You can tell surface is more matte looking with these new set of H3 neo.

I did ask TT11 about this issue. They responded that DHS reassured them that there has been no change to the way they make H3 and H3 neo. TT11 seems to suggest there is bad sheet here and there, and maybe that's the problem. But overall, TT11 cannot really say anything outside of what DHS told them.

Did you hear anything from DHS about how they are producing H3 or H3 neo for your company?

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

I've been used to tacky H3 all my life. The new H3 is only 30% as tacky as the old one. I always struggle because the shot goes way too long.

However, I found a solution lately.

I have a unboosted 41 provincial H3 (close to non tacky), genuine. I glue that one a 5 ply blade. Wow the feel is amazing.

The unboosted sponge and the 5ply blade slow the shot way down to a very controllable pace. I really really like it. My loop is still powerful thanks to the 41 degree sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I have a couple sheets of H3 neo that are not as tacky as before (I forgot if the shipments were from TT11 or Dandoy or both really). They play alright. They are still tackier than say G-1 or C-1 or Rakza 7 soft. I only play with commercial and I have heard that National H3 is slightly less tacky. These couple sheets of H3 neo are still relatively new and since I am EJ'ing right now, they don't get a lot of use. I will see what happens later on. You can tell surface is more matte looking with these new set of H3 neo.

I did ask TT11 about this issue. They responded that DHS reassured them that there has been no change to the way they make H3 and H3 neo. TT11 seems to suggest there is bad sheet here and there, and maybe that's the problem. But overall, TT11 cannot really say anything outside of what DHS told them.

Did you hear anything from DHS about how they are producing H3 or H3 neo for your company?
No sorry. I'm too small, so I can't buy from DHS directly yet. have to build up my volume :)

I think a big company like DHS don't want to get the word out that they have changed something on ther flag ship, so they say that it's all like before :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I've been used to tacky H3 all my life. The new H3 is only 30% as tacky as the old one. I always struggle because the shot goes way too long.

However, I found a solution lately.

I have a unboosted 41 provincial H3 (close to non tacky), genuine. I glue that one a 5 ply blade. Wow the feel is amazing.

The unboosted sponge and the 5ply blade slow the shot way down to a very controllable pace. I really really like it. My loop is still powerful thanks to the 41 degree sponge.
Ah that's a good one, but you'll have to work a lot more now then? I tried some tacky hard rubber on a Sanwei Fextra Allround blade, and got that same feeling. Even though the blade is allround 5ply wood, it has some kind of harder feeling, and that fits great with the Yinhe Jupiter III ASIA 40deg I used on FH then.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Ah that's a good one, but you'll have to work a lot more now then? I tried some tacky hard rubber on a Sanwei Fextra Allround blade, and got that same feeling. Even though the blade is allround 5ply wood, it has some kind of harder feeling, and that fits great with the Yinhe Jupiter III ASIA 40deg I used on FH then.

Yes my recovery suffers a bit. But every shot comes out at a much higher quality even compared to W968.

I might consider a 5-ply with a hard top ply

Yes my recovery suffers a bit. But every shot comes out at a much higher quality even compared to W968.

I might consider a 5-ply with a hard top ply
Just found and ordered Hurricane Hao 656. Always wanted to try this kind of blade.
Will put on H3 commercial 40deg (non NEO) for FH and H8-80 37deg on BH.
Both boosted with 1 layer of seamoon.

Attachments

• 1.nCYJL7a4MM8_mLLCPXWENCWNMsm3jrLZP4MyzbmGOMW_.jpeg
    1.nCYJL7a4MM8_mLLCPXWENCWNMsm3jrLZP4MyzbmGOMW_.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Just found and ordered Hurricane Hao 656. Always wanted to try this kind of blade.
Will put on H3 commercial 40deg (non NEO) for FH and H8-80 37deg on BH.
Both boosted with 1 layer of seamoon.

I have that blade as well. A classic 5-ply, still powerful enough to play away from table. You won't regret it.

• Love
Reactions: mihalichtheone