Harimoto loses to balding Grandpa

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

Just kidding, he's not really grandpa, but the video quality really makes it seem like he is a grandpa.

Anyways, apparently he's ranked 500 on ITTF in 2022, so Harimoto really shouldn't be losing to him. Harimoto's career just seems to be wasting away. I wish he would change something, his equipment, his strategy, his stroke, at least give it an attempt.

• Wow
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
If he is truly injured, then what exactly did you expect?
Do you think FZD would have won against whatever pro from the top 500 with a wrist injury?
In fact, just a few months ago, an in-shape, #1, non-injured FZD lost to #193 Cho Dae-seong.
Does that mean FZD is wasting his career and should change his game? This is just funny.

Given that his competition is FZD and WCQ in their prime, as well as ML who is still a force to be reckoned with, Harimoto holding the #4 spot is very impressive. People just like giving him shit because his style is not as entertaining as the Chinese style, and he Chos every point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
If he is truly injured, then what exactly did you expect?
Do you think FZD would have won against whatever pro from the top 500 with a wrist injury?
In fact, just a few months ago, an in-shape, #1, non-injured FZD lost to #193 Cho Dae-seong.
Does that mean FZD is wasting his career and should change his game? This is just funny.

Given that his competition is FZD and WCQ in their prime, as well as ML who is still a force to be reckoned with, Harimoto holding the #4 spot is very impressive. People just like giving him shit because his style is not as entertaining as the Chinese style, and he Chos every point.
He is still a very good player, and he has a high ranking. So if you're goal is to be a top 10 player, then Harimoto is doing just fine and his career is not wasting away.

If his goal is to win titles, especially the big titles like World Championships, then he seems to have a problem breaking through. In this regard, he seems to have stalled a bit or seems to be wasting away. Moreover, this match doesn't lend much hope that he is about to breakthrough. His style is a bit predictable and basic at this point, and he seem to lack the X-factor.

Maybe his injury really was difficult today, but even just ignoring today's match. He seems to have stalled over the past several years.

• Haha
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
looks like in TT the players don´t have any leverage against the Structures,organisations.
I wonder how many young aspiring athletes Health have been crushed becausee of this...long way to go till Player Empowerment Era.
IF ever in TT,lbh its one of the most organisational ,structural and federational dominated Sport in all of em

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Yeah, Harimota has fetched money a lot for the black dealers in gambling business. It is some heyday with Hong Kong betting bosses. .

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
He is still a very good player, and he has a high ranking. So if you're goal is to be a top 10 player, then Harimoto is doing just fine and his career is not wasting away.

If his goal is to win titles, especially the big titles like World Championships, then he seems to have a problem breaking through. In this regard, he seems to have stalled a bit or seems to be wasting away. Moreover, this match doesn't lend much hope that he is about to breakthrough. His style is a bit predictable and basic at this point, and he seem to lack the X-factor.

Maybe his injury really was difficult today, but even just ignoring today's match. He seems to have stalled over the past several years.

Care to name the last world champion who was not on the CNT and the year it happened? Has anyone broken through who is not on CNT for the past 20 years?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

Just kidding, he's not really grandpa, but the video quality really makes it seem like he is a grandpa.

Anyways, apparently he's ranked 500 on ITTF in 2022, so Harimoto really shouldn't be losing to him. Harimoto's career just seems to be wasting away. I wish he would change something, his equipment, his strategy, his stroke, at least give it an attempt.
Speaking of grandpa, I wish to digress a little.

I remember a pro player from Egypt ( Ahmed Saleh ) He looks like your typical middle aged dad-bod dude. I mean, for those uninitiated, he looks like a kebab seller in Giza selling hot kebabs to tourist. My point is, don't underestimates grampas in table tennis. Looks can be deceiving. Under those dad-bod, are massive over-powered killer forehands.

This user has no status.
Speaking of grandpa, I wish to digress a little.

I remember a pro player from Egypt ( Ahmed Saleh ) He looks like your typical middle aged dad-bod dude. I mean, for those uninitiated, he looks like a kebab seller in Giza selling hot kebabs to tourist. My point is, don't underestimates grampas in table tennis. Looks can be deceiving. Under those dad-bod, are massive over-powered killer forehands.
tbh TT is based off weight transfer and heavy ppl have a lot of weight to work with!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Care to name the last world champion who was not on the CNT and the year it happened? Has anyone broken through who is not on CNT for the past 20 years?
Well, the Japanese media was calling Harimoto a 100 year talent since he was 14. The best talent in 100 years. So he hasnt lived up to the high expectations or his early career trajectory. Nobody else in the past 20 years has his talent, so we pin the hopes on him.

This user has no status.

The guy is 38 years old. When you said Grandpa I expected an 80 yr old player. You had me scared for a second because I'm in my 40s lol.

This user has no status.
CHUANG Chih-Yuan is also losing Grandpa... at least in G1... 6-11 !!!
and i don't know whether he has a hand injury or not
The funny thing is that Chuang is actually older than this "grandpa" lol