Help me Improve!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Hi, if you guys remember me I'm that 15 year old kid that started table tennis around 6 months ago, haha. I haven't posted on the forums in a while, but I have a video for you guys to watch again. I got noticeably better. I'm vs. someone around 600 points above me, he's around 1750 while I'm rated around 1100 (this is under my estimated rating).

Sorry for the video quality/shakiness, my tripod broke two days ago and I couldn't replace it in time.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
please change the text color.black on a dark backround makes the eye hurt.

Thanks

Whoops, changed it to white... Didn't see it there.

I would suggest to bend a little more while doing the backspin serve such that the impact of the bat and ball is at the height of the net.

Sure thing, I was trying to improve on that. I didn't realize what I looked like doing a serve until now, since it has been a long time since I've recorded my last game or practice session.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You got uniform... The KJ Korean TT Association good start, a player should look like a pro.

You make all the same mistakes players at your level do. They will all get better with more time training and playing and being aware of what you are doing.

There isn't just one thing to say.

The largest areas to work on are...

- hitting the ball within the effective strike zone

- waiting for the ball

- being in position

- using all your body

- impacting the ball earlier when you are not attacking

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Are you doing any drills to work on improving your technique? Perhaps you could video these.
In the video you are mostly just trying to kill the third ball with a massive do or die forehand topspin attack. Nice idea but a bit 1 dimensional. How is your backhand ? If you don't have a backhand people will just beat you all day by playing to your backhand side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
You got uniform... The KJ Korean TT Association good start, a player should look like a pro.

You make all the same mistakes players at your level do. They will all get better with more time training and playing and being aware of what you are doing.

There isn't just one thing to say.

The largest areas to work on are...

- hitting the ball within the effective strike zone

- waiting for the ball

- being in position

- using all your body

- impacting the ball earlier when you are not attacking

Haha, it's the NJ Korean TT association by the way.

Anyhow, you mentioned hitting the ball within the effective strike zone already, so I understand that. However, can you elaborate on waiting for the ball, being in position, and impacting the ball earlier when I'm not attacking? Do you mean that I have to wait for the ball once I move in the right position to hit the ball? For impacting the ball earlier, what does this exactly mean? Impact earlier on blocks/pushes? I'm not so sure what you meant here.

Are you doing any drills to work on improving your technique? Perhaps you could video these.
In the video you are mostly just trying to kill the third ball with a massive do or die forehand topspin attack. Nice idea but a bit 1 dimensional. How is your backhand ? If you don't have a backhand people will just beat you all day by playing to your backhand side.

Well, I do have a coach who I take lessons from, but I don't do any drills with anybody else. I mainly do footwork drills incorporating the forehand loop/drive. I'm alright at 3rd ball attacking, but I lack on the followup. This is what my coach is trying to get to.

Most Korean coaches start out with emphasis on footwork and work on that until it is near perfect. In fact, my coach threatened to take off my backhand rubber if I ever return a serve or push with it, haha. Then they start incorporating the backhand loop/drive/etc., which is why I don't have a backhand attack. At most, it's a strong backhand block kill.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Korean coaches will not teach an offensive BH until the player is a 2000 level FH attacking Juggernaut. They teach the "Shot" which is kinda a BH punch to stay in the point to stay alive to get in a FH the next time. Many good players might wonder why I didn't tell bobloiy to get a life on BH, I already know how the Korean coaches operate, they will get to the BH when they are good and ready.

Being in position in time on balance waiting for the ball so you impact it within the effective strike zone is a basic thing that all beginners and even some advanced players struggle with. Improving that improves your overall level and gives you the possibility to connect shots and make shot combinations.

Maybe one thing to add to that is SERVING. It is never too early to learn the touch and timing of serving, even if it isn't gunna raise the rest of the areas you need to work on. Improving serving NOW is gunna help you out big time down the road. You never learn it all in one night, one week, or one month. It is something you work on all the time and slowly improve.

Bobloiy, talk to your NJ Korean TT president, he played vs me at the big Korean TT tourney in Flushing last year labor day. He had all kind of match points vs me at deuce in the team event, he'll remember that one forever. I think he is the gent in the grey suit on the far right front row in this pic.

10269350_10204386279755427_4627034672096569720_n.jpg

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Anyhow, you mentioned hitting the ball within the effective strike zone already, so I understand that. However, can you elaborate on waiting for the ball, being in position, and impacting the ball earlier when I'm not attacking? Do you mean that I have to wait for the ball once I move in the right position to hit the ball? For impacting the ball earlier, what does this exactly mean? Impact earlier on blocks/pushes? I'm not so sure what you meant here.

Waiting for the ball...

Many players are in a rush to hit the ball early, often they impact the ball too far in front of them. They do not allow the ball to come into the strike zone. If you are in position, then you are waiting for the ball to come into the zone. If you want to hit the ball while it is higher, then you should have positioned yourself a little more forward closer to table.

It is NOT a sin to allow the ball to drop some (preferred on underspin balls, frowned upon by coaches vs incoming topspin balls) it is better to let it drop a little and impact the ball inside your effective hitting zone and still make a strong and spinny shot then to try to hit it too early, too far in front that saps power, spin and consistency.

This one point here is a stumbling stone for many players. they are told over and over to hit ball early while high, but it is all at the expense of good position and hitting it in your zone.

An example would be a step around FH finishing shot. You do the step around and hit it too far in front, you lose all kind of power, spin, and accuracy. You miss more than you should, your landing percentage is not super high. You do the same step around and let the ball come into your strike zone... even if the ball is net high or even below the net (sometimes even table level)... you hit that ball in the zone with your 70-80% power loop, that ball is gunna land time after time with good pace and spin.

Kim Jung Hoon talks about it n his TAK9.com vids that Nexy puts up on their site. KJH is always talking about a feeling of "Catching" the ball on impact. That is a good way to think about it.

Impact earlier when not attacking... that means that if you decide to NOT attack, (make a an underspin push shot) you should step in and make your underspin shot right after the bounce on your side.

When you wait forever to think about attacking and bail out, or you already decided to not attack and want to push it while it is higher or falling downward... you give opponent a LOT of time to see you are not attacking. You also give the opponent more distance to read the ball you give him, he has more time to step around and B-slap that sucker by you if he chooses. You also lose possible angles to at least make him move. You also have a more difficult time controlling the ball.

When you take the ball early on your underspin shot, you have a lot of benefits. Best one is you take away time from your opponent. Nexy is control, it is much better of bounce. if you stepped in over the table, then you are looking over the ball and see it better, so you read it better. Since you are in position on balance with that step in footwork, you can make good use of deception with sudden open or closed wrist right before impact to apply more pressure or outright win the point, you also have more angles, so you make opponent move (and hopefully make an error or chicken out on attacking), you can more easily make heavier spin with a shorter stroke, so that makes it harder to read. You might also get some errors from that heavy push you made with that short stroke.

You see now what I was saying in impacting the ball earlier if you decide not to attack.

Blocking... Stepping in (or to the spot) and blocking the ball right off the bounce has the very same advantages. Your control and consistency go WAY up and apply the same pressure on opponent. You can also change grip pressure (soft had) to "Kill" the spin of your opponent's loop. Many Korean J-Pen players do this well with their traditional J-Pen BH block. You can also turn the block into offense with a tiny bump through the ball at impact (active block) since you are looking over ball in position.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Korean coaches will not teach an offensive BH until the player is a 2000 level FH attacking Juggernaut. They teach the "Shot" which is kinda a BH punch to stay in the point to stay alive to get in a FH the next time. Many good players might wonder why I didn't tell bobloiy to get a life on BH, I already know how the Korean coaches operate, they will get to the BH when they are good and ready.

Being in position in time on balance waiting for the ball so you impact it within the effective strike zone is a basic thing that all beginners and even some advanced players struggle with. Improving that improves your overall level and gives you the possibility to connect shots and make shot combinations.

Maybe one thing to add to that is SERVING. It is never too early to learn the touch and timing of serving, even if it isn't gunna raise the rest of the areas you need to work on. Improving serving NOW is gunna help you out big time down the road. You never learn it all in one night, one week, or one month. It is something you work on all the time and slowly improve.

Bobloiy, talk to your NJ Korean TT president, he played vs me at the big Korean TT tourney in Flushing last year labor day. He had all kind of match points vs me at deuce in the team event, he'll remember that one forever. I think he is the gent in the grey suit on the far right front row in this pic.

attachment.php

Haha, I'll ask about you to him when I get a chance to... What's his rating around again? Anyways, I'm practicing my serve a decent about these days around an hour per training session. I'm conflicted on how I should make the serve fast but short at the same time... I guess only practice will reveal the answer.

Waiting for the ball...

Many players are in a rush to hit the ball early, often they impact the ball too far in front of them. They do not allow the ball to come into the strike zone. If you are in position, then you are waiting for the ball to come into the zone. If you want to hit the ball while it is higher, then you should have positioned yourself a little more forward closer to table.

It is NOT a sin to allow the ball to drop some (preferred on underspin balls, frowned upon by coaches vs incoming topspin balls) it is better to let it drop a little and impact the ball inside your effective hitting zone and still make a strong and spinny shot then to try to hit it too early, too far in front that saps power, spin and consistency.

This one point here is a stumbling stone for many players. they are told over and over to hit ball early while high, but it is all at the expense of good position and hitting it in your zone.

An example would be a step around FH finishing shot. You do the step around and hit it too far in front, you lose all kind of power, spin, and accuracy. You miss more than you should, your landing percentage is not super high. You do the same step around and let the ball come into your strike zone... even if the ball is net high or even below the net (sometimes even table level)... you hit that ball in the zone with your 70-80% power loop, that ball is gunna land time after time with good pace and spin.

Kim Jung Hoon talks about it n his TAK9.com vids that Nexy puts up on their site. KJH is always talking about a feeling of "Catching" the ball on impact. That is a good way to think about it.

Impact earlier when not attacking... that means that if you decide to NOT attack, (make a an underspin push shot) you should step in and make your underspin shot right after the bounce on your side.

When you wait forever to think about attacking and bail out, or you already decided to not attack and want to push it while it is higher or falling downward... you give opponent a LOT of time to see you are not attacking. You also give the opponent more distance to read the ball you give him, he has more time to step around and B-slap that sucker by you if he chooses. You also lose possible angles to at least make him move. You also have a more difficult time controlling the ball.

When you take the ball early on your underspin shot, you have a lot of benefits. Best one is you take away time from your opponent. Nexy is control, it is much better of bounce. if you stepped in over the table, then you are looking over the ball and see it better, so you read it better. Since you are in position on balance with that step in footwork, you can make good use of deception with sudden open or closed wrist right before impact to apply more pressure or outright win the point, you also have more angles, so you make opponent move (and hopefully make an error or chicken out on attacking), you can more easily make heavier spin with a shorter stroke, so that makes it harder to read. You might also get some errors from that heavy push you made with that short stroke.

You see now what I was saying in impacting the ball earlier if you decide not to attack.

Blocking... Stepping in (or to the spot) and blocking the ball right off the bounce has the very same advantages. Your control and consistency go WAY up and apply the same pressure on opponent. You can also change grip pressure (soft had) to "Kill" the spin of your opponent's loop. Many Korean J-Pen players do this well with their traditional J-Pen BH block. You can also turn the block into offense with a tiny bump through the ball at impact (active block) since you are looking over ball in position.

I bump this thread up as it has tips useful to many players and not just the OP.

My looping skill definitely needs work, but I think I need more confidence in my stroke/footwork before worrying about when to hit that ball. For contacting the ball earlier when not attacking, I guess I'll have to work on it. When I try to to do that, I end up missing the ball.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Your NJ Korean TTA President is around 1700+ level. He played vs me in the round of 8 in the team event. (8-Gang in the Dan-Chay-Jeon)

You wont be able to do a serve that is both fast and short, it wont work. You can work on a serve that has fast bat speed and fine graze resulting in aslower ball that may go short. You can also do the short serve with a sudden motion, that is good too. Work on them all. Short, half long, fast/deep to all locations. The touch you develop to make a short serve will help the rest of your game later.