How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi LDM7,

Good to see you are training hard!!! like yourself my brain thinks my body is 18 and my body feels more like it's 75yrs old rather than 56!!!!!

During the summer, BRS visited London, He put out a post asking for some venues he could visit whilst in London, visited a couple of venues, one of which was a local club to me that VVK1 was playing at, we met up played a few games and had a pretty good evening!!
LDM7 reach out and I'm sure there will be a good response from the community with suggestions where to play in whatever country you would be visiting!!!!

Watching those elite players is always good!!! playing a match v them perhaps not quite so enjoyable!!!! training with them would be fun!!!
I have a match tonight (Monday) as well, so we can swap results and perhaps some analysis on Tuesday!!!!

Reactions: LDM7
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi LDM7,
hope you played well !!!

Tonight I played 3 singles and the doubles, overall we won the match 6-4.

I managed to win 2, both against opposition of similar, but slightly higher ranking 20 - 30 points higher,

Their best player is ranked 132 points higher. I played him first, cruised the 1st 2 ends 11-7 & 11-5, went into the 3rd end feeling pretty confident, didn’t get into the game, made a few mistakes and he made some good plays and gained confidence, lost the 3rd 4-11, started better in the 4th but lost 8-11, 5th end was the same as the 3rd, lost 4-11, never got into it. He was now confident and playing better!! I was making mistakes!!
Tactically, he didn’t do anything drastically differently, he just was more consistent overall, perhaps I was a little negative, didn’t get enough heavy spin open ups into play. One too many pushes, he opened up with some strong FH loops, he also blocked a little more, the table was very fast so they came back pretty quick, and this is where my error rate went up. Slightly rushed not in position properly.

So this is what happens against higher ranked players they can adapt better, not necessarily major changes in tactics, but subtle changes, ones that when you walk away, you are thinking what went wrong there? I was cruising and playing well !!

Against the other 2 players, I felt in more control,

2nd game I won 11-8, 11-8, 11-5, he was more inconsistent than the 1st guy, couldn’t handle my spin, I also played more heavy spin open ups against him, than I did against the 1st player and this won me points. His play style was right up my alley!! This is always a bonus!!

3rd game, was against a fella I have played before, about 3 yrs ago, back then we were 1 win each.

This time I came out on top, he played some good rallies, good FH topspin’s in topspin rallies, but he made numerous errors opening up against back spin and reading my punch / jab serve, this is what cost him the match.
The first end I lost 11-13 made a serve error at 10-9 up, making it 10-10, I was a little pissed with myself!! Played a good serve return 11-10, Then he sort of guessed right when I opened up his serve return, I played a strong topspin drive straight at his bat, block wizzed straight past me !!! 11-11, served a no spin ball, popped up nicely, missed the 3rd ball attack 11-12 grrrrr!! Last point he really caught a FH top spin, end one down the pan.
Next 3 ends I won reasonably comfortably, 11-8, 11-7 & 11-9, scores don’t really reflect this, I was always up by at least 3 or 4 points, just held the gap. Enticed him in to open up BH or FH with long heavy back spin pushes or serves, he obliged and put ‘em in the net, then the no spin serve put a cat amongst the pigeons as the ball flew long.

I played reasonably well, overall happy, but in the last 2 matches, I have been 2 zip up against the opponents best player and lost 2-3. This is something I need to work on, close out the 3rd end, recognise ( during the game ) and adjust to subtle tactical changes. Rather than on reflection after the match, like now!!

Reactions: Der_Echte and LDM7
Although i am disappointed at my 0 - 3 result tonight, i am happy with the way i competed

As the bottom seed at a higher table, i lost 8 - 11 in the fifth, 10 - 12 in the fourth & 9 - 11 in the fifth ...

I was right there IBB (& Der), I WAS RIGHT THERE!

COMMENDATION(s):

* Open with BH loop, albeit not on all opportunities (still declined some), mentally not use to nor as trusting

* i am less concerned with what i should be doing and starting to pay more attention what the other is doing (or not doing) and taking advantage of what i perceive

* i played the right way ... just need more matches (RR, friendlies) & continue to apply tactics & skills i've been working on

911:

* service return in general, especially side-tops were popping up & flying all over the place (need to loop them back, i've been working on that shot)

* i am not always ready for the ball coming back, i am not use to hitting 4, 5 balls just to win one freaking point, every point

* although getting better (with results), i need to NOT BE AFRAID TO open with my BH & not leaning backward, stay forward, hold my crouch

Finally I am excited at the trajectory of my development & most importantly => I TH!NK I KNOW WHAT I NEED TO WORK ON & KNOW WHERE TO HELP TO IMPROVE

looking forward to the next 4 ~ 6 weeks sample size!

Reactions: IB66
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi @Littledragonman7

I was seeing your results on James' webpage... only put in 2 of your matches.

A couple things says it all.

HOW you lost and what data you got from it. Maybe as a bonus what your trendline is.

If you took Sam to 5th at the wire, you are ahead of where I expected you. I expected you to win vs most everyone else in that group, but I wasn't there. ( I was blasting FH at Roman in Church and Emad popped in for 3 player Australian action.

You had called me and we had a decently long discussion of how to approach things, how they could go, how you could take away things, how you could use matches for strategic development. I could tell your anticipation tat you were ready to break out. SOMETIMES, breaking out is showing great progress without a win. Sometimes, even in a loss, you can see how your decisions were better, shot selection better, movement better, ball striking better, quality better, confidence better, etc... and sometimes it is just obvious. You were there and you know what happened and how it happened.

* i played the right way ...

Finally I am excited at the trajectory of my development & most importantly => I TH!NK I KNOW WHAT I NEED TO WORK ON...

Those two comments say a lot. You know you are tracking well in the right directing things going up with much room to go up.

Reactions: IB66 and LDM7
3 months ago when LDM7 put this post on, I thought LDM7 was only thinking about strategy and tactics, but leaving techniques behind.
From what LDM7 is saying now, I see LDM7 is putting strategy tactics and techniques together as the integral parts.

was it really only three months ago Lycanthrope?

feel like much more time have passed ...

I am also learning about the mental side of TT, paying attention to my breathing, how to prepare myself for the next point & only the next point matters regardless whether i won or lost the previous point, managing emotions, aggression, at what RPM do i play at my best ... etc

Finally i realize it is a whole different thing to be able to apply what i practice in training into a match ...

it takes courage (2 ppl told me), a willingness to lose (i suppose) and mostly importantly TIME, Yaiks!

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Wednesday night is my 2nd (& thankfully) last match of the week.
My ranking (specific to this league, non transferable as it were) is 646, opposition’s top 2 players (if they play) are 904 & 850ish​​​​​​’ so it’s going to be a fairly tough night, having said that, one of those better players I lost to 3-2 is ranked 913, so I feel I’m still in with a good chance of being a troublemaker!!
Ideally I’d like to beat both of em!!

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Tonight I was a TROUBLE MAKER - unfortunately causing myself all the trouble!!!

Played a young lad that I have coached on and off over the last year and trained with over the last 3 years, So we know each other’s game and strong and weak points, his ranking is 563, mine 647 ( 1 point more than post #106)
So he was really gunning to take me out, he has improved a lot over the last year, game Allround has generally improved, he is ranked lower at 563, so I’m expected to win and did, gained 3 ranking points for the win.
The area that he is still weak in is topspin v backspin balls both wings. So some tempting pushes and long Under spin serves did the damage.

Against the 904 ranked player, I went down 3-1. Scores were - 4-11, 11-9, 6-11, 3-11
1st end was mistake city, as was 3rd and 4th, got openings and trashed 90% of the chances, and made ‘unforced’ errors (or were they????) in other rallies that were tighter. My movement was slow, so not in position to execute. When I was in position FH loop was good and generally ended the rally. Just not enough times!!
The 2nd game, I didn’t mess up as much, close end but I nicked it 11-9

The 3rd player ranking is 813, I’ve taken down 2 or 3 players with similar ranking this year and fancied my chances!!! Lost 2-3, 9-11, 11-6, 7-11, 11-8, 5,11
1st end was tight, 2nd and 4th I played well, fewer errors on 3rd and 5th ball attack, and serve open-ups, felt comfortable. 3rd and 5th ends the errors on 3rd and 5th ball attack increased, open-ups - slow high spin were poor 2 or 3 air shots in each end, timing went to pot!!
His push was solid, BH and FH, consistent.
In the 5th, I decided to open up ANY THING that came past the end of the table, which when considering I was really not opening up well, could be seen as a mistake, and yeah it lost me the match, but this is what I need to do, thIs is the longer term game plan. Get my FH and BH topspin in play, they are strong points (stronger!!!) of my game.
Matches are ‘important’ but this should not really dictate or mean being more conservative or careful, especially at my level !!! Fun 1st (more so if you win!!)
Try and stick to your plan and planned style, so even though I lost, I was happy that I did so TRYING to execute what I’m aiming for, rather than getting into a push push push rally and walking of the table p@@@@d that I lost AND P@@@@d that I didn’t Implement HOW I want to play.
Double P@@@@d v Single P@@@@d !!!! IN THIS INSTANCE I’ll take the ‘single’ every time!!!!

Reactions: LDM7 and Der_Echte
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Maybe one day I visit, slap around your opponents, then slap them with some pints at the pub starting all kind of trouble declaring that the only true reds are Bayern Munich reds.

One day after you’ve slapped down the opponents and whilst downing a few pint we can discuss that the only true reds are Liverpool FC !!!! (And that’s coming from a ‘plastic Scouser’ [someone that’s never been to Liverpool!!!]). 🤣

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

You Got Game IB66, particularly I like your flicks (both wings) & bh serve setup your fh loop drive, very cool 😎

Cheers for the compliments LDM7.
After this match I started to get some private coaching!! Way too inconsistent and poor movement. I gave the games away.
Things are improving, but slowly slowly slowly, not helped by the knees !!!

Reactions: LDM7
After this match I started to get some private coaching!! Way too inconsistent and poor movement. I gave the games away.
Things are improving, but slowly slowly slowly, not helped by the knees !!!

Top few areas I am working on (that pays immediate dividend):

* BH loop: racket preparation, set strike zone, use belly button as contact line (as a guide), hold my crounch, a faster whip, let the ball come to me, make sure the other feels my pressure (every stroke)

* Service consistency: the way I hold (and feel) my bat, rubber contact point & contact height (let the ball drop lower), 1st bounce location, spin types, service sequence, yet most importantly - develop a better feel where my 3rd ball would most likely be (so less longer a surprise)

Things I want to mess around more during goof off time:

* BH serve (set up FH loop (or a BH open depending where i stand), FH flick or deep push to corner to set up 5th)

* Change my serve return middle (with a purpose)

Looking forward to RR league night!

Last edited:
Reactions: IB66 and Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

Top few areas I am working on (that pays immediate dividend):

* BH loop: racket preparation, set strike zone, use belly button as contact line (as a guide), hold my crounch, a faster whip, let the ball come to me, make sure the other feels my pressure (every stroke)

* Service consistency: the way I hold (and feel) my bat, rubber contact point & contact height (let the ball drop lower), 1st bounce location, spin types, service sequence, yet most importantly - develop a better feel where my 3rd ball would most likely be (so less longer a surprise)

Things I want to mess around more during goof off time:

* BH serve (set up FH loop (or a BH open depending where i stand), FH flick or deep push to corner to set up 5th)

* Change my serve return middle (with a purpose)

Looking forward to RR league night!

These are great focus points and very similar to what I am working on too!

Reactions: IB66 and LDM7