How far would my setup take me ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
I have been playing table tennis for half a year now. Just simple regular sessions, 2 sessions a week, still pretty much beginning. I don't know how far would my setup take me in terms of training skills and actual matches.

My setup is:

729 #1060
Joola Samba
Yasaka Mark V M2

All of the equipment are from before the plastic ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
If the rubbers were bought that long ago, they're probably no good anymore. You can get a pretty good training/beginner setup for pretty cheap so I'd recommend changing asap, or else you might get too used to training with bad/dead rubbber
yea its pretty ancient i would say..
Planning to switch to sanwei V5 Pro with Xiom musa 3 on BH, havent decided FH doe. Im open for suggestions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Planning to switch to sanwei V5 Pro with Xiom musa 3 on BH, havent decided FH doe. Im open for suggestions
I've heard a lot of people try out V5 Pro. But I haven't heard anyone being particularly satisfied with. If you know you want a stiff 7 ply with hard outer that plays direct, then go for it. But if you're still developing it's probably better to get something with more flex and hold in order to learn how to produce spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
I've heard a lot of people try out V5 Pro. But I haven't heard anyone being particularly satisfied with. If you know you want a stiff 7 ply with hard outer that plays direct, then go for it. But if you're still developing it's probably better to get something with more flex and hold in order to learn how to produce spin.
Hmm i do want something that would hold the ball a bit longer and have more feeling. What do you think would do that? Preferably in the price range if the sanwei

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Hmm i do want something that would hold the ball a bit longer and have more feeling. What do you think would do that? Preferably in the price range if the sanwei
Sanwei Fextra is always a good choice for $20. You will want a lighter one under 85 grams.

Another option is Yinhe U2 Spin.

Both are do-it-all OFF 7 plies that are around 6.0mm and have limba outer.

These blades are what new players in China are often recommended, and you can find them easy on aliexpress.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I have been playing table tennis for half a year now. Just simple regular sessions, 2 sessions a week, still pretty much beginning. I don't know how far would my setup take me in terms of training skills and actual matches.

My setup is:

729 #1060
Joola Samba
Yasaka Mark V M2

All of the equipment are from before the plastic ball
I think you should get a more modern setup, which you can still get for very cheap.

Check Shopee or something

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
@Anh Huy

Just to add to my earlier comment, the Sanwei Fextra is a safe bet. I'm no expert but it was personally my favorite all wood blade and I've tried quite a few.

Nittaku Acoustic, Nittaku Ludeack, Yasaka Sweden Extra, Donic Appelgren, and Yinhe U2 I all tried at one point.

Fextra was the cheapest by far but also the one I liked the most.

Reactions: Anh Huy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Don't do that. When you play for half a year play with an all wood blade.

You can really good like that. Timo boll would still be like a 2400 level player with a 5 ply all wood bat. Maybe he would lack a bit of pop to beat world class players but below the pro level you can reach about every level with a wood bat.

Not saying you need to wait until pro for a Carbon blase but I don't think you need one for like at least the first 2-3 years of playing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Don't do that. When you play for half a year play with an all wood blade.

You can really good like that. Timo boll would still be like a 2400 level player with a 5 ply all wood bat. Maybe he would lack a bit of pop to beat world class players but below the pro level you can reach about every level with a wood bat.

Not saying you need to wait until pro for a Carbon blase but I don't think you need one for like at least the first 2-3 years of playing.
Oh yeah im not picking up a carbon blade anytime soon. Tried my friend’s viscaria and thought I could not control it at all! Sure it was really fast but i don’t think im good enough to play with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
@Anh Huy

Just to add to my earlier comment, the Sanwei Fextra is a safe bet. I'm no expert but it was personally my favorite all wood blade and I've tried quite a few.

Nittaku Acoustic, Nittaku Ludeack, Yasaka Sweden Extra, Donic Appelgren, and Yinhe U2 I all tried at one point.

You play with fextra and moon 12 right? Hows that working out for you?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
You play with fextra and moon 12 right? Hows that working out for you?
Switched to an inner carbon blade but Moon 12 was good on the Fextra. You might find the tension a bit too bouncy if you're going from both a slower blade and a classic rubber (esp if the rubber is dead).

Maybe you can start with something slower like Reactor Tornado V5. Only 5 bucks so it'll tide you over while you're adjusting to a faster blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
@Anh Huy

+100. Sanwei Fextra is a good blade, don't be deterred by the low price. It is moderatly fast, spinny, has a good dwell and feel, great handle, good balance, classic composition - all you need to get to a pretty advanced level. It can serve you well for the next 2-3 years easily. You might as well ask for a specific weight. 83-86g feels great, you won't need a heavy blade at your stage. It plays well with Rakza 7, Rakza X rubbers.

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Setup is more than likely from 2008 or before that..
Oh... Maybe look into buying something a bit more fresh to learn😅

The blade is fine, pros keep their blades pretty much their entire careers. You can just change the rubbers, if you're fine with the mkv you can just buy a pair of mkv. Else the vega europe is a very popular choice.