How to avoid buying fake blades or rubbers online?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I need advice on how not to buy fake blades or rubbers from online suppliers like Aliexpress, eBay, etc. Some of these suppliers take the great length to attest that they are the authorized distributors and that the equipment they sell is original / genuine, I couldn't help but wonder if that should be taken with a grain of salt? It is tough enough to improve my techniques without worrying if the fake equipment is holding me back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Reputation of the store is important. The high volume sellers are making so much money selling real stuff at immense volume and low margin that they have to have a good relationship with the manufacturer.

Brand also matters. Haven't heard of anyone receiving fake Yinhe, Sanwei, or 729 stuff. I would not buy anything Butterfly on aliexpress, and I wouldn't buy anything expensive from DHS (their premium blades, provincial and national rubbers) from a store unless it's a top store on aliexpress (BEO, GOO, GH sports, etc.)

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I need advice on how not to buy fake blades or rubbers from online suppliers like Aliexpress, eBay, etc. Some of these suppliers take the great length to attest that they are the authorized distributors and that the equipment they sell is original / genuine, I couldn't help but wonder if that should be taken with a grain of salt? It is tough enough to improve my techniques without worrying if the fake equipment is holding me back.
I wouldn't worry about buying DHS or Yinhe products. They all would come with a authenticator code to verify.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
my apologies 🥸
No apologies needed, I'd stumbled on the dhs-sports.com site which was in Chinese and managed to find the verification link but the numbers on the back of my rubber aren't 12 or 16 digit long, instead they are alpha numeric, I am wondering if there is a sticker with the verification code on the wrapper, I will pay closer attention next time I purchase a rubber from Aliexpress. Thank you.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
No apologies needed, I'd stumbled on the dhs-sports.com site which was in Chinese and managed to find the verification link but the numbers on the back of my rubber aren't 12 or 16 digit long, instead they are alpha numeric, I am wondering if there is a sticker with the verification code on the wrapper, I will pay closer attention next time I purchase a rubber from Aliexpress. Thank you.
H946f5793502a4a3b865d30e5f8b73be1L.jpg

the numbers are on the rubber itself. sometimes the number is covered and one has to scratch the silver paint away with a coin

Reactions: Headbeancounter
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I wouldn't worry about buying DHS or Yinhe products. They all would come with a authenticator code to verify.
Do you know the website and the process for verifying Yinhe products? I've gone through a bunch of their products and haven't tried doing authenticity checks yet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
I recently purchased H3 Neo 39H, 2.15mm from Beo Store on Ali Express. Only after few uses the rubber looks really beat up.

The only comparison I have is a H3 Neo 40H, 2.15mm from TableTennis11, that has been used for a year. I have attached the image.

Does this look suspicious to anyone?

On the left its the new rubber, lighter in color and all scratched up. On the right it 1 year old rubber, used heavily.

Attachments

• PXL_20230719_181717852.jpg
    PXL_20230719_181717852.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I recently purchased H3 Neo 39H, 2.15mm from Beo Store on Ali Express. Only after few uses the rubber looks really beat up.

The only comparison I have is a H3 Neo 40H, 2.15mm from TableTennis11, that has been used for a year. I have attached the image.

On the left its the new rubber, lighter in color and all scratched up. On the right it 1 year old rubber, used heavily.
The "scratch-marks" do not come from normal TT use , I at least can not imagine a situation where my rubbers could get scarred like this and i am playing a lot of doubles.
Have you got small children ? 😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
The "scratch-marks" do not come from normal TT use , I at least can not imagine a situation where my rubbers could get scarred like this and i am playing a lot of doubles.
Have you got small children ? 😂
This happened after playing 4-5 times. There are cracks already. Already after playing 1st time the rubber looked horrible. I wrote a message to seller BEO Store. Lets see what they say.

I have no doubt that the rubber is either fake, or had a manufacturing issue.

I will be replacing it in a few days and then I will check that number. Not sure what else to do.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
This happened after playing 4-5 times. There are cracks already. Already after playing 1st time the rubber looked horrible. I wrote a message to seller BEO Store. Lets see what they say.

I have no doubt that the rubber is either fake, or had a manufacturing issue.

I will be replacing it in a few days and then I will check that number. Not sure what else to do.
I will keep an eye out for your report.
I use the BEO shop as well occasionally but of course often it is out of their control.
I got informed that most shops on Ali now just act as kinda contractors.
They advertise like an independent shop but once we place the order it will go to a central place and goods are then directly shipped from an Ali warehouse. Gone are the good old days when good shops were going through their stack of blades for me to send me the lightest ones they had, sending me first a picture with the blade on the digital scale.

Ahhhh the good old days 😂😂😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

can you physically feel the scratch with your fingers?