Is it allowed to change weights on your racket during a match?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Since Stiga now has its easily swappable weights in some of their blades I have been thinking maybe it would be beneficial to swap a heavier weight against defenders since I would prefer a more heavy racket over a light one. I understand before the match starts I can swap any weight but in case I don't like it is it legal to switch again in between sets?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
There are blades with switchable center-of-gravity (through a built-in slide), so I don't see why not (blades don't have to gain approval). I think the requirement of leaving the racket on the table between games (circa 1994) is to prevent players from modifying or switching out the rubber(s).

https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/712852716202911365.html

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zwill
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I see your point in leaving the racket on the table. I skimmed through the rulebook regarding the racket but didn't read it through fully nor am I a lawyer to pick it apart.

But still, I want to be the devil's advocate here and say I can change the weight at the table between sets in about 5 seconds, and since I didn't see anything that should make the umpire go mental over this I would have no issue doing it in plain sight.

So what if someone removes the edge tape or the grip tape from their racket between sets? It has a similar effect.

That's a pretty cool find and a great idea from LKT.
Andro used to (maybe still has) have a kinetic series that had small balls inside the handle that were flying back and forth during the stroke, not sure how much of a difference that made but it was an "active balancer".

Butterfly also had their VSG series blades where one could rotate the handle a few degrees on the fly. I also don't see how it would be illegal to change handle angle even between points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
There is currently no ruling about changing weights to the blade.
I have seen people taking off edge tape in front of the umpires eye, and "it was fine".

However, rule of thought - you should always inquire with the match referee prior to the tournament, so you can ensure you don't get into a debate while the match is ongoing.

Jan 2018
I think most of the rules are concerned with the hitting surface more than anything so as long as that part remains the same throughout the match, you should be fine.