Shakehand on a J-pen blade?

Wuh

This user has no status.
This is a stupid question but is it possible to play shakehand on a J-pen racket? I have been switching between penhold and shakehand a lot recently and I found that I much prefer a Jpen racket due to the light weight and comfort on the hand although I seem to play a lot better using shakehand. I’m pretty new to table tennis (been playing for a bit over 1 year now although I took a long break and started again about 1 month ago) and I just want to see what’s possible. I was thinking that I could switch between Jpen and Shakehand whilst I play but I want to see what people with more experience have to say about it. I’d be happy to take recommendations.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Biggest barrier is the shape of the handle. But if you've been playing with the setup in your signature compared to a shakehand setup with double inverted, that might be the reason why it is lighter, long pips carry much less weight than smooth rubber in general.

Reactions: Wuh
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
This is a stupid question but is it possible to play shakehand on a J-pen racket? I have been switching between penhold and shakehand a lot recently and I found that I much prefer a Jpen racket due to the light weight and comfort on the hand although I seem to play a lot better using shakehand. I’m pretty new to table tennis (been playing for a bit over 1 year now although I took a long break and started again about 1 month ago) and I just want to see what’s possible. I was thinking that I could switch between Jpen and Shakehand whilst I play but I want to see what people with more experience have to say about it. I’d be happy to take recommendations.
No. You have to choose.

Reactions: Wuh and jbvttcc
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
No, the only reason that the jpen is lighter is because it has a rubber only on one side.

Find a lightweight blade like the stiga offensive wood nct, or if you want something faster, the stiga intensity nct and play shakehand.

Put on light rubbers if you want. Like the 05fx or if you're a beginner, sriver and sriver fc. I don't recommend going for sponge thinner than 1.9 or for any very quick rubber.

Just find a high quality blade that suits you and put some good rubbers on it, don't cheap out.

Go for a 5ply blade, 7 at most but at no case a carbon blade, develop first, speed later. If you get something too fast it will hinder your development and annoy you even more.