Is this Butterfly Primorac original or fake?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum😅.

But anyway, I have this Butterfly Primorac classic that I bought second hand years ago (~2012). I am just not too sure if it is original or not. Please see attached pictures. I can upload more pictures with the serial on the blade. Not too sure if that is a good idea off the bat?*

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Hmm, im confused on this one. Im pretty sure there is a german and japanese primorac, and the jap one has the trademark butterfly hologram at the back of the blade. But yours says made in japan but no hologram so i have no idea. One thing you can do is go to the butterfly website and i think you can enter numbers at the bottom of the head to see if it is an original. gl :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Thank you,

Weren't the holograms only introduced fairly recently? And given that I bought this blade second hand around 2012, date of manufacture might've been even earlier.

Reactions: lodro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thank you,

Weren't the holograms only introduced fairly recently? And given that I bought this blade second hand around 2012, date of manufacture might've been even earlier.
Even if the blade was from 2012, I am pretty sure 2012 is before they started putting that "hologram" on the back of the handle.

To my eye it looks real. But I am not the best on this. Hopefully someone like Magic M will come on and see what he thinks.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

One thing you can do is go to the butterfly website and i think you can enter numbers at the bottom of the head to see if it is an original. gl

biggrin.png

NO ! You can't. There is no such service provided by Butterfly

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

One thing you can do is go to the butterfly website and i think you can enter numbers at the bottom of the head to see if it is an original. gl

biggrin.png

NO ! You can't. There is no such service provided by Butterfly

Yep, even tried emailing. They do not seem willing to check unfortunately.

So still hoping for someone here with a keen eye😂💪.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
The lens looks the same as mine - but mine is a lot older as it was given to me as a kid and I’m nearly forty now. Mine has the old black tag on the bottom.
Would people fake a blade that has always been reasonably priced? I’m not sure. That’s only my opinion though.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The lens looks the same as mine - but mine is a lot older as it was given to me as a kid and I’m nearly forty now. Mine has the old black tag on the bottom.
Would people fake a blade that has always been reasonably priced? I’m not sure. That’s only my opinion though.
copies are made not exclusively of very expensive blades but also of blades that are well known and in high demand.
If one considers that a copy can be made for less than 10 dollars one can see that there is definitely money to be made.There are several BTY copies made and sold on Ali for just over 20 us dollars. So the business is still going on.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yep, even tried emailing. They do not seem willing to check unfortunately.

So still hoping for someone here with a keen eye😂💪.

Another thing to think about....if it is that you are playing with it....if the blade plays well and you like it, don't worry whether it is real or not, even though it does look real to me....the real important issue is how the blade plays. If it plays well, you use it. If it does not, you look for something else.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Does play well. But looking to move it on.
How it plays speaks volumes. I doubt it would if it was a counterfeit.

But you should keep it as a momento if you have had it for a decade. Thirty years from now when you pull it out, you will thank me for that suggestion. I've got a Klamphar and 2 Mazinovs from 1991 that are treasures. They do not make blades the way they did back then. In thirty years you will see how much more well built and solid that Primorac is than blades they will be making in the future.