Is weight gain/muscle gain detrimental to table tennis?

This user has no status.
Heys guys

I have played table tennis on and off for about 10 years now. But also in the last couple of years have taken to weight training in the gym. Coincidentally, neither of these activities have really overlapped for whatever reason. Although I do recall a little overlap when I attempted to start proper training again a two or three years ago but the facility was too out of the way and I decided I didn't have the time. I am now training again but also want to hit the gym once more. I am worried that putting muscle mass and getting heavier will be detrimental. I do not consider myself an elite player at all but I would like to do my best and maximize my potential(however little I may have (G))

I am about 178cm tall and about 68kg right now. I usually get to around 75kg but strength and size increase considerably. This may be a silly question but I am asking it anyway.

Can you guys point out any relevant info, articles, videos, pro or semi-pro TT players with muscular physiques(all the pros I see on the circuit seem to slim or skinny). Also can anyone on a similar plan give me examples of how I can get the two types of training to compliment each other as much as possible.

Thanks

i reckon it will be a trade-off. more mass to move = slower. more strength & endurance from the muscle counteracts that. however, if you want to get a better idea as to what size gains do to athletic performance then have a look at the ufc or the other mixed martial arts. the big guys gas out quite fast, the medium size guys are just the right blend of strength, endurance and flexibility to be able to go full speed/full intensity for the whole 3/5 rounds.

ymmcv

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
At this level, not really. The best player in our club is built like a wrestler. At least 180cm and over 90kg. You just need shot quality, consistency and good serves and receives. Maybe at the international level you might need that extra burst of speed and agility. Waldner beat Ma Lin (the top seed) and Timo Boll in the 2004 Olympics despite having a pot belly and wearing back support but then again, Waldner is Waldner.

Anyhow, Timo Boll is 178cm and weighs 74 kg according to Wikipedia (around what you weigh after working out for a while). Samsonov is 82 kg.

In fact, I think that the extra bit of weight might be a good thing. I'm 191 cm and 72 kg and I feel like I could get more body stability if I gained 5 kg.

Reactions: Simas and Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Stimmt.

I agree.

It will likely not matter for many levels above your playing level.

Of course, being lighter will help you get to some balls in complex combination attacking sequences, but not everyone needs to play like a pro style game to function in battle effectively.

Myself, I am at a decent amature level (for US and Korean amature standards - 3 levels above average level) for just 4 yrs of light training in Korea and Der_Echte will not ever be put into the "Featherweight" class fight if you get my drift. Ask Carl, I can still get to enough balls to bring enough offensive heat. My weight and mass are not the biggest thing holding me from reaching new levels, that cause(s) of that are needing to read the ball better and having better touch. After that, there can be another dozen things.

A famous US player who is known as HEAVYSPIN on US forums plays 2 levels above me (despite his temporary decrease in ratings) and he doesn't do all that crazy combination footwork except only every now and then. he can still move at who knows his weight, but it is easily 50 kg more than myself and I am seeming to do everything to try to crack 100 kg... and I am not going to be accuse of being a tall dude either.

Ask anyone who has seen my in person, decent muscle mass and some extra fat on Ur body isn't going to hold you back significantly... until you are approaching national level. None of us amature crowd is going to get there anytime soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Heys guys

I have played table tennis on and off for about 10 years now. But also in the last couple of years have taken to weight training in the gym. Coincidentally, neither of these activities have really overlapped for whatever reason. Although I do recall a little overlap when I attempted to start proper training again a two or three years ago but the facility was too out of the way and I decided I didn't have the time. I am now training again but also want to hit the gym once more. I am worried that putting muscle mass and getting heavier will be detrimental. I do not consider myself an elite player at all but I would like to do my best and maximize my potential(however little I may have (G))

I am about 178cm tall and about 68kg right now. I usually get to around 75kg but strength and size increase considerably. This may be a silly question but I am asking it anyway.

Can you guys point out any relevant info, articles, videos, pro or semi-pro TT players with muscular physiques(all the pros I see on the circuit seem to slim or skinny). Also can anyone on a similar plan give me examples of how I can get the two types of training to compliment each other as much as possible.

Thanks

Your weight/height are totally fine. Its actually pretty simple, if u gain pure muscle mass through proper training and diet you will be definetely faster. Adding 2 kgrs of muscle mass and 5 kilos of fat then obviously you are doing it wrong. To play proper TT you need both strong/explosive muscles (so do some weight training focusing on developing only the fast twitch fibers) but those muscles will also have to be flexible to be able to contract really fast. I did legs exercises with weights for 5-6 months and with strict diet getting lots of protein and as less fat as possible, I gained at least 2 kgr of muscle mass (not only in the legs but back and torso also) and I was pretty much impressed about how faster I was.

So weight training can do a really good job, but bear in mind that you dont exaggerate. You need flexible and explosive muscles at the same time

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Your weight/height are totally fine. Its actually pretty simple, if u gain pure muscle mass through proper training and diet you will be definetely faster. Adding 2 kgrs of muscle mass and 5 kilos of fat then obviously you are doing it wrong. To play proper TT you need both strong/explosive muscles (so do some weight training focusing on developing only the fast twitch fibers) but those muscles will also have to be flexible to be able to contract really fast. I did legs exercises with weights for 5-6 months and with strict diet getting lots of protein and as less fat as possible, I gained at least 2 kgr of muscle mass (not only in the legs but back and torso also) and I was pretty much impressed about how faster I was.

So weight training can do a really good job, but bear in mind that you dont exaggerate. You need flexible and explosive muscles at the same time
totally agree.
I do weight training, too. Do you know any weight exercises to develop the fast twitch fibers? Or any other weight exercises that can help me play table tennis better?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
If you want to focus on explosiveness just lift the weights as fast as possible but with proper technique. Squats and lunges are perfect for TT you can search various legs and torso exercises on youtube

Now for the fibers ...slow twitch fibers are activated when the fast ones are completely exhausted . The only way to do this is by doing drop sets. A drop set is a technique where you lift 20 kgr x 8 repetitions for example (or as much as you can) . Then you lower the weight to 15 kgr and do as many as you can. Then lower again the weight to 10 kgr and do as many as you can. Then lower and again and again untill you can do no more

You will notice that after a while you cant lift the weight fast as in the beginning(allthough its lowered at 50 % and maybe more) and thats were slow twitch fibers are activated. So for TT you dont actually need drop sets, just lift the weight fast. Drop sets are for bulking muscle,strength and endurance

For TT you just need to focus on lifting the weight as fast as possible but with no sacrifices on technique

Reactions: iammaru and ronz91
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Now for the fibers ...slow twitch fibers are activated when the fast ones are completely exhausted . The only way to do this is by doing drop sets. A drop set is a technique where you lift 20 kgr x 8 repetitions for example (or as much as you can) . Then you lower the weight to 15 kgr and do as many as you can. Then lower again the weight to 10 kgr and do as many as you can. Then lower and again and again untill you can do no more

You will notice that after a while you cant lift the weight fast as in the beginning(allthough its lowered at 50 % and maybe more) and thats were slow twitch fibers are activated. So for TT you dont actually need drop sets, just lift the weight fast. Drop sets are for bulking muscle,strength and endurance

great info. Thanks a lot!!
Now I have another question. If I develop the slow twitch fibers, will it affect the fast twitch fibers or my tt game? Actually I do weight training to bulk and get a better looking body rather than to improve my table tennis game. I just want to know if I can bulk and keep (or improve, if possible) explosiveness at the same time. Is it possible?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
great info. Thanks a lot!!
Now I have another question. If I develop the slow twitch fibers, will it affect the fast twitch fibers or my tt game? Anavar (Oxandrolone) Actually I do weight training to bulk and get a better looking body rather than to improve my table tennis game. I just want to know if I can bulk
Of course its possible as long as you dont bulk up too much Thanks

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread here.
Muscles make you faster, not slower. The point where you have too much muscles for table tennis can't be achieved by doing fitness 2 times a week or so, it's just impossible. If it was so easy, why are many people not as fit looking? :)

What you want to have as a table tennis player are fast twitch muscles which help with the explosiveness for your shots and movements. Doing fitness workout helps with your game and also prevents injuries. For most people playing more table tennis would be more beneficial though.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Muscles make you faster, not slower. The point where you have too much muscles for table tennis doesn't can't be achieved by doing fitness 2 times a week or so, it's just impossible. If it was so easy, why are many people not as fit looking? :)

What you want to have as a table tennis player are fast twitch muscles which help with the explosiveness for your shots and movements. Doing fitness workout helps with your game and also prevents injuries. For most people playing more table tennis would be more beneficial though.

+1000

I was just about to jump in here SMH at the notion that adding muscle makes you slower. It's an old myth that has been debunked time & time again yet it still won't die.

Muscle makes you faster. Particularly if you train in fast twitch/explosiveness moves.

So in short to the OP and to keep it simple. Hit the gym, cut unnecessary body fat %. In the end, you will be a better athlete that you are today and that will help you.

Edit: Just noticed this thread is from ages ago. Sigh. Oh well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Muscles make you faster, not slower. The point where you have too much muscles for table tennis can't be achieved by doing fitness 2 times a week or so, it's just impossible. If it was so easy, why are many people not as fit looking? :)

I thought so at first but after re-reading his comment, I think he is actually talking about bulking, not really getting stronger?
Clearly, if he is focusing heavily on mass and filling out his upper body then it will be detrimental. If the 8kg/17 pound gain includes core and legs, then yes he is fine. If its his chest/shoulder/lats, and his legs look like "i don't do lower body" then it wont be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtcollins