ITTF 2019 Hong Kong Open June 4-9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I don't understand this since every bit counts. Also doesn't the winner get 2000 more points than the runner up? I mean its pretty rich to say you want to be the Olympic champion but not care whether you can beat a second string Chinese opponent. Of course that's supposing that Mima doesn't actually care. I haven't seen the match so I'll reserve my judgement.
True, every bit counts. In this case 1st is 1800, 2nd is 1440, a difference of 360 pts.
But to give away all your plays (to be meticulously analyzed) heading into next week's Japan Op, where ALL the top CNT contenders will be there, is not worth the 360 extra pts. There's nothing to gain to duke it out with WYD, a CNT skirmisher (she's NOT going to the Olympics).
Besides, Ito has accomplished her mission of staying ahead of her other 2 competitors. Actually, in one fell swoop, she has made up enough grounds to cover the no World Cup scenario, with only 5 Tournaments.
Just thinking out loud strategically, on my own, nothing implied.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
True, every bit counts. In this case 1st is 1800, 2nd is 1440, a difference of 360 pts.
But to give away all your plays (to be meticulously analyzed) heading into next week's Japan Op, where ALL the top CNT contenders will be there, is not worth the 360 extra pts. There's nothing to gain to duke it out with WYD, a CNT skirmisher (she's NOT going to the Olympics).
Besides, Ito has accomplished her mission of staying ahead of her other 2 competitors. Actually, in one fell swoop, she has made up enough grounds to cover the no World Cup scenario, with only 5 Tournaments.

Very logical .....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

There is nothing remaining for the CNT to analyse about ITO, quite frankly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 5 (Sat 08 June 2019)

Men's Singles

Final:

[1] Lin Gaoyuan 4:2 Tomokazu Harimoto [2] (11:3, 7:11, 8:11, 11:6, 11:9, 11:7)

Women's Singles

Final:

Wang Yidi 4:0 Mima Ito [2] (11:3, 11:7, 11:5, 11:6)

Men's Doubles

Final:

[5] Liang Jingkun/Lin Gaoyuan 3:1 Jang Woojin/Lim Jonghoon [3] (6:11, 11:6, 12:10, 11:8)

Women's Doubles

Final:

[7] Chen Ke/Mu Zi 3:1 Jeon Jihee/Yoo Eunchong [4] (9:11, 11:1, 11:4, 11:5)

Source: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/5004/2019/2019-ittf-world-tour-hong-kong-open/

Reactions: Atas Newton
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Not buying into the Ito choosing to loose to hide game secrets conjecture. It’s all out there anyway, and I just can’t believe she could, even if she wanted to.

She might have fallen prey to underestimation and lack of motivation. She might have had a lesser day, as we all do now and then. This I do find plausible, conspiracy theories less so.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
One big giveaway is she never used her new kick serve that she used on DN in China Open. She never even used the "wipe" shot. Throughout this tournament, she tried to finish the point on the 3rd shot, as though she's testing things out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
One big giveaway is she never used her new kick serve that she used on DN in China Open. She never even used the "wipe" shot. Throughout this tournament, she tried to finish the point on the 3rd shot, as though she's testing things out.

I don't see that as indicative of her not trying though. Getting to the finals says something, the rest is all what we read into certain things.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
There is nothing remaining for the CNT to analyse about ITO, quite frankly.
[FONT=&quot]Such arrogance had led to declines of empires.
And to prove you wrong, here’s a concise list of CTTA’s 2019 shopping list for tender, for their TT urgent needs.
May I point you to #4 of the list, targeting specifically Japan’s Women Team.

中国乒乓球协会[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2019[/FONT][FONT=&quot]年度购买国家乒乓球队科技服务项目需求表:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]训练智能监控与分析系统[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot]男队主要对手技战术情报收集及数据分析[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]3[/FONT][FONT=&quot]女子运动员训练数据分析与主要对手技战术数据分析[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]4[/FONT][FONT=&quot]日本女队主力运动员技战术特征与训练对策研究[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]5[/FONT][FONT=&quot]运动员身体机能状态无创数据采集和运动表现分析系统[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]6[/FONT][FONT=&quot]女队运动员生理周期中医综合预防与干预[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]7[/FONT][FONT=&quot]运动员大脑机能状态诊断与监测[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]8[/FONT][FONT=&quot]运动员身体机能评定与调控[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]9[/FONT][FONT=&quot]运动员损伤预防、治疗和康复保障[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]10[/FONT][FONT=&quot]运动员营养分析及调配[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]11[/FONT][FONT=&quot]国家队队内积分系统[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]12[/FONT][FONT=&quot]乒乓球大数据采集分析及平台建设[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13[/FONT][FONT=&quot]不同材质乒乓球特性及其对国家队重点运动员技术动作影响[/FONT]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Meanwhile, China published the team in Australia Open .... It is curious that Yidi and Xintong are not in the team ....(as in Korea ..)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Meanwhile, China published the team in Australia Open .... It is curious that Yidi and Xintong are not in the team ....(as in Korea ..)
I think you’ll see more of this. CNT is sending out/rotating the rest of the team as skirmishers, to probe and test opposition’s fire power, weak points, and to tire them out before meeting up with the 4 Chinese ‘anchors’ of the 4 zones.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
[FONT=&quot]Such arrogance had led to declines of empires.
And to prove you wrong, here’s a concise list of CTTA’s 2019 shopping list for tender, for their TT urgent needs.
May I point you to #4 of the list, targeting specifically Japan’s Women Team.

中国乒乓球协会[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2019[/FONT][FONT=&quot]年度购买国家乒乓球队科技服务项目需求表:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]训练智能监控与分析系统[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot]男队主要对手技战术情报收集及数据分析[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]3[/FONT][FONT=&quot]女子运动员训练数据分析与主要对手技战术数据分析[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]4[/FONT][FONT=&quot]日本女队主力运动员技战术特征与训练对策研究[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]5[/FONT][FONT=&quot]运动员身体机能状态无创数据采集和运动表现分析系统[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]6[/FONT][FONT=&quot]女队运动员生理周期中医综合预防与干预[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]7[/FONT][FONT=&quot]运动员大脑机能状态诊断与监测[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]8[/FONT][FONT=&quot]运动员身体机能评定与调控[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]9[/FONT][FONT=&quot]运动员损伤预防、治疗和康复保障[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]10[/FONT][FONT=&quot]运动员营养分析及调配[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]11[/FONT][FONT=&quot]国家队队内积分系统[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]12[/FONT][FONT=&quot]乒乓球大数据采集分析及平台建设[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13[/FONT][FONT=&quot]不同材质乒乓球特性及其对国家队重点运动员技术动作影响[/FONT]

It is well known fact that ITO is a big threat for CNT. And they will go all out to neutralize her. But losing on purpose only in the final to hide her game is little far fetched imagination in my opinion. For some one, who has only a few world tour events to her credit, to give up on winning is something, I cant comprehend in any situation. If it was a DN or LSW, doing such thing would still be considered plausible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
I felt like Wang Yidi did very well with her service tactics: primarily long to Ito's backhand with heavy "straight" backspin (with some no-spin serves mixed in.

The length made it more difficult for Ito to execute her various return techniques effectively - and when she did, Wang had more time to adjust to the various sidespins.

And the heavy backspin made it hard for Ito to attack forcefully directly on the service. Against "normal" long FAST serves against the backhand, she is usually good at attacking/redirecting with the backhand or stepping around and smashing with the forehand. But against the heavy backspin, her backhand attacks were not as dangerous and when she stepped around to open with a spinny forehand topspin, she left the forehand corner wide open, which Wang exploited quite well.

I'm not sure if other CNT players have used this tactic against Ito yet?

Jan 2018
I don't see that as indicative of her not trying though. Getting to the finals says something, the rest is all what we read into certain things.

Not saying she's not trying. Rather, Ito has told Japanese media that she'd come up with new stuff in every match which makes imitating her impossible. Lately, she's told the media she has 300 types of strokes.

Even ML said after the match in China Open that Harimoto comes up with new stuff every time they meet.