ITTF Mixed Team World Cup 2023, Chengdu, 12/4-10

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Format is great. Makes the event truly feel like a team effort where weaker players can also contribute by not wiping out 3-0. In traditional team formats a 3-0 loss is the same as 3-2 so why even bother. Only gripe is that you can technically fill up the whole roster with just 2 men and 2 women, which is great for logistics but will likely incentivise countries to just send their top 2 players (👀 *cough* Japan *cough)

Reactions: SFF_lib
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Format is great. Makes the event truly feel like a team effort where weaker players can also contribute by not wiping out 3-0. In traditional team formats a 3-0 loss is the same as 3-2 so why even bother. Only gripe is that you can technically fill up the whole roster with just 2 men and 2 women, which is great for logistics but will likely incentivise countries to just send their top 2 players (👀 *cough* Japan *cough)
That's one benefit to the number of matches, people need to rest so that is their incentive to rotate players wisely. Really looking forward to Korea vs Japan in a few hours, it is probably the only really meaningful match of the whole event lol.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Controversy regarding WCQ's serve. Alexis stops the point. Umpire calls let. Alexis says "Service is here" and shows the ball contacted behind the head. The umpire, who I don't think understands English that well, says "WCQ behind the end line". You can hear Alexis argue with China's coach saying "same every time". Then, the umpire gives the point to China after he already called let! I looked at the replay several times in slow motion, and although the camera's viewpoint is not the player's viewpoint, I don't think it's possible to see the point of contact which is hidden behind WCQ's head and shoulder:

As zeio has pointed out, Gauzy has made this point repeatedly on social media. But I think people are wasting their time on this one until we have AI making these calls.

Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
Controversy regarding WCQ's serve. Alexis stops the point. Umpire calls let. Alexis says "Service is here" and shows the ball contacted behind the head. The umpire, who I don't think understands English that well, says "WCQ behind the end line". You can hear Alexis argue with China's coach saying "same every time". Then, the umpire gives the point to China after he already called let! I looked at the replay several times in slow motion, and although the camera's viewpoint is not the player's viewpoint, I don't think it's possible to see the point of contact which is hidden behind WCQ's head and shoulder:

This is why players need to fight fire with fire - the problem is that the umpire might not agree with you. In this case just hide your serve more so that you create a more even field.

• Haha
Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

It felt like he was ready to protest even before the serve was completed.

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
What exactly is FAIR PLAY in ITTF sanctioned tournaments now???

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The inexperience of Miwa and incompetence of Togami in full display after G1 of XD...

Like his brother, Miwa had to shoulder the burden and took risks at 7:7 of G2, likely because she didn't believe Togami could do it. Similar scenario in G3.

Jan 2018
SYB is probably still bothered by the pain.

Jan 2018
3-3 coming into M3 means success for KOR.

Reactions: NextLevel