ITTF World Team Table Tennis Championships Finals Busan 2024

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
JPN vs NGR
According to TV Tokyo, the match has been terminated. Comments on TV Tokyo youtube channel seem to suggest Nigeria has forfeited due to food poisoning?

It seems Togami is also having a fever.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Lol the Indians play like the shakehand version of my practice partner 🤣 funny that even Sun Yingsha being so strong would lose that bad to LP in the same way...
you know,
in the professional training space, we have a saying, the kids won't survive if they play against those "amateurs".

because in pro space, everything is so text book and have power and it is thus easier to return back.
while in the amateur space, you have every kind of style imaginable and unimaginable.

I once played with someone using very cheap sticky rubbers.
His topspin shots are so "big action", but very little spin. I keep countering it off the table by a mile.
I had to go check his rubber after the first game and he said, he doesn't add much spin to it.
But it is a very grippy rubber and he sure has a "text book" topspin action, but the ball coming through is mostly no spin.... I can't even attempt to duplicate it.

then, don't even talk about those SP with 1.5mm sponge on one side, and SP OX on the other, and the guy twiddlers every shot.

or the SP/LP penholders that twiddle.

If you want to be the best, you need to be able to challenge all styles.
So, I don't claim to be the best lol

This user has no status.
you know,
in the professional training space, we have a saying, the kids won't survive if they play against those "amateurs".

because in pro space, everything is so text book and have power and it is thus easier to return back.
while in the amateur space, you have every kind of style imaginable and unimaginable.

I once played with someone using very cheap sticky rubbers.
His topspin shots are so "big action", but very little spin. I keep countering it off the table by a mile.
I had to go check his rubber after the first game and he said, he doesn't add much spin to it.
But it is a very grippy rubber and he sure has a "text book" topspin action, but the ball coming through is mostly no spin.... I can't even attempt to duplicate it.

then, don't even talk about those SP with 1.5mm sponge on one side, and SP OX on the other, and the guy twiddlers every shot.

or the SP/LP penholders that twiddle.

If you want to be the best, you need to be able to challenge all styles.
So, I don't claim to be the best lol
I play against more pipsters than I do against inverted these days lol.... it's damn hard to be able to read and decipher all of these confusing styles.... I think there is in fact a penalty to playing "standard" in amateur table tennis. Although I play double inverted too, I no longer play standard too - there's too many weapons that work all too well against standard play and you have to be consistent af to be able to win against special styles as a "standard player", whereas if you have some specialities, you can win over a standard player even if his overall shot quality/consistency is higher.

Ultra confusion is the name of the game haha.

Jan 2018
JPN vs NGR
According to TV Tokyo, the match has been terminated. Comments on TV Tokyo youtube channel seem to suggest Nigeria has forfeited due to food poisoning?

It seems Togami is also having a fever.
Food poisoning for Aruna. Flight problems for Abiodun so he couldn't make it in time for Round 1 of Group.

Togami has a fever.

日本男子、初戦はまさかの不戦勝。対戦相手、ナイジェリアに二重のアクシデント
https://world-tt.com/blog/news/archives/160455

戸上隼輔、実は高熱での欠場だった。「早く元気になれよと言いたい」(田中)
https://world-tt.com/blog/news/archives/160541

Jan 2018
Also from the news, DHK had a fever and she missed the press conference before departure, which explains her reaction after getting 2 points against Austria.

Reactions: igorponger
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
what a pity that our Malay friends couldn't seal it.
granted Eugene Wang is no longer the fearsome Wang Zhen of 10 years ago, but Edward is in good nick and on paper Canada is stronger by far.
A pity Malaysia didn't finish it off 3-0 and let Canada come back 3 at the end.

I actually wonder, what is stopping Malaysia from becoming a stronger TT country. It has a huge TT population, and has everything, but the players just need to move up 1 more level, then they up there with the rest.

View attachment 28390
Good evening Tony,

As to your question, I have no satisfactory answer for you, but from what I gather from the old-timers I had had conversation with, it is more of political in nature.

However, what I want to highlight to you is in my personal observation, my National Players play as though they are still in the U19 / collegiate level. What the heck am I saying? Let me explain.

My national players, if you do notice plays a very high athleticism style, much like those U19 / collegiate. But these guys are no longer in the late teens or early twenties. Their body is not so young anymore. They rely on pure physical to win. Not so much on tactics nor strategy in my opinion. In simple words, too much brawn, not enough brain.

What do you think Tony? Is my assessment correct or way off mark. Love to hear your thoughts.

Pure muscle, not so much brain.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Good evening Tony,

As to your question, I have no satisfactory answer for you, but from what I gather from the old-timers I had had conversation with, it is more of political in nature.

However, what I want to highlight to you is in my personal observation, my National Players play as though they are still in the U19 / collegiate level. What the heck am I saying? Let me explain.

My national players, if you do notice plays a very high athleticism style, much like those U19 / collegiate. But these guys are no longer in the late teens or early twenties. Their body is not so young anymore. They rely on pure physical to win. Not so much on tactics nor strategy in my opinion. In simple words, too much brawn, not enough brain.

What do you think Tony? Is my assessment correct or way off mark. Love to hear your thoughts.

Pure muscle, not so much brain.
I went to check the 4 players age when I sent you my question earlier today.
2 of them are 23 years old
1 is 26
I can't remember the other, but also early 20.

so, their are closer towards your U19 than not. haha

However, they all lowly rated, which means, not enough international exposure/experience.

To have players beating Eugene and Edward, it means Malaysian players can play TT and they are underrated for sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Ito looks under the weather as well.
She really does.

The whole team kinda looks cold and miserable out there for some reason. They look like a group of girls who got locked in a freezer and are waiting for help to come.

Hirano seems to have a runny nose or something. And some odd bit of action with her swatting invisible flies between points.

The most bizarre thing is the camera work, where they're showing the Japan women every second in between the TT action. I guess they know what we all want, but that was the most one sided coverage I've ever seen. It got so crazy that at one point they did a shot where you saw both Miu from one camera and her teammates from another camera and they overlaid to the two shots together. Hilarious.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Calderano and Lily Zhang: That's why we don't play here. Have had enough carrying the team...
same thing when Chuang benched himself after Lin's withdrawal in 2022 Chengdu

With no more individual ranking points, there is just not enough attraction to fight for wins in team's performance.
As fighting for wins could result to injuries, and at the end of the day, its a gamble of risks and just not risk taking, as there is so little financial income, zero ranking points, and the only thing is "national pride", but pride doesn't cover your bills

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Also, has there been a bigger age gap in a Championship level event than Grandma Ni playing Miwa? 60 vs 15. Can't think of any other sports where someone is competing with another person 4 times their age.
I think Ni is one of the oldest one can find in recent years.

and guess what, 15 or 60 years old, any one of them can be the winner

that's table tennis for you