lobbing technique

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
theres not a lot of tutorials on lobbing that i could find on the internet

but i am wondering if there is more to lobbing than just putting balls up high into the sky and feeling lucky that your ball would land on the table and won't be too short for the opponent to just cream the ball to the other corner of the table

is there a method to make your lobs "accurate" and consistent? like making them land where you want them to be and what not

the ideal contact point and timing? do i let the ball drop way below the table?

how do i become Adam Bobrow?

Reactions: rwk92
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
The basic technique is to try to play lobs to the end of the table giving some tospin, which makes the ball bounce so it's harder for the opponent to play a precise smash. Of course, adding a sidespin would make it harder to pick up, but it also increases the risk of missing the table considerably and certainly requires a lot of practice (this is even more true for the backspin lob wich is really risky).

Reactions: netdriver
says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
The most realistic advice has been given, Id just add Adam just does it a lot, so you know, experimentation and more of it, long and slow push by the opponent - lob that shit!

Also first time I saw "lobbying technique" and thought that I somehow opened the wrong forum for a second or two.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
The most realistic advice has been given, Id just add Adam just does it a lot, so you know, experimentation and more of it, long and slow push by the opponent - lob that shit!

Also first time I saw "lobbying technique" and thought that I somehow opened the wrong forum for a second or two.
Well, if you want to be successful in the ITTF or the WTT, you for sure needs a good “lobbying technique”. 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
Some ideas based on my experience
1) Choose your opponent - lobbing is generally more effective against shorter opponents. I also like to use it against opponents that are blocker types and non-athletic types that don't have a strong smash.
2) Use variation - lobs can have topspin, sidespin and one of my favourites - the chop lob (that often gets smashed into the net). You can also change the placement and direction; lobbing to the forehand and then wide to the opponent's backhand, especially with sidespin away from them, can lead to a mistake or a chance for counterattack.
3) Be prepared to counter-attack if the opponent does a weak smash or 'wimps out'.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
back in the day I did lob practice once a week. My practice partner and I would play 2 games of 21 points where 1 player would just lob and the other kill. Serve to just put the ball in play and both players would emphasize consistency and foot work
In fact. with relatively little practice the lobber should develop the ability to put the ball within 6 inches of the white line, and it soon becomes obvious that if your lob Is not deep its a waste of time.
It's best to think of the lob as just a super high drive with not that much spin. Rather its best to concentrate on landing the ball near the line and remembering the feel of the most accurate shots.
If you do too many varied spins it will be fun but will take longer to develop accuracy.
If you study somebody like Mizutani known for consistency in lobbing and fishing, you'll see some spectacular counter drives but his actual lobs seemed to emphasise accuracy and depth most of the time

Aug 2019
aight thanks for the advice everyone

my bad... i shouldve made a thread about rubbers lol, thats more like it