low-cut basketball shoes for table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
thats what i use for essentially everything, but i'm by no means a competitive player

I wear low basketball shoes for when i play basketball obviously and then as I get new pairs for basketball the older pairs get used for the gym, table tennis, tennis etc...

i haven't really dug into table tennis specific shoes and from what i can tell, there is nothing special about them that a basketball shoe couldn't do or wouldn't be better at

Reactions: FrenchFrog33
says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
I didn't have my tt shoes with me during one trip
wore normal basketball shoes and ended with ankle injury

I almost did a split(without consent) because of a running shoe slipping one time, face barely missed the right edge of the table, have never played without tt/indoor designed shoes since. No more close encounters with table edges or involuntary gymnastic moves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I would doubt that it was due to the shoes

Basketball shoes have wide bases and outriggers to prevent rolling…unless the shoe didn’t fit properly
Basketball shoes have too much cushioning. It's useful when you're jumping high and landing on wooden floors, but too heavy and not stable enough for the rubber floors of TT.

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Basketball footwear is where most of the big consumer brands are investing big $$$ and is where a lot of innovation is coming from.

In the last few years Puma, New Balance, ASICS and recently even Sketchers have gotten in seriously - marketing and sponsoring prominent NBA and WNBA players.

Along with all the money been poured in from Chinese companies - Li Ning & Way of Wade, Anta, 361, Peak, Rigorer.

For table tennis, the most appropriate low cut basketball shoes will be those designed for point guards in mind - low to the ground, court feel, lightweight, traction, responsive cushioning setup.

Recommended models:

Under Armour Curry 8, 9, 10, 11 with its super grippy wide Flow outsole.

Nike Lebron 20 & 21 for best cushioning setup money can buy while also having top tier traction, excellent court feel and remaining relatively light in weight.

Nike Kobe Protro, Ja 1, Sabrina 1, Freak 5. Narrow footers should go look into KD’s.

Puma Scoot 1 or All Pro Nitro.

Adidas is relatively heavy in general, though Harden, Dame and Trae Young lines offer great impact protection, stability with extra wide bases and low to the ground court feel.

Haven’t played in any New Balance or Chinese branded low cut basketball shoes but by all accounts the point guard centred models would also be excellent for table tennis particular those wanting extra protection for ankle sprains, knee sprains, or better comfort in general.

Basketball shoes are also overall more durable than TT shoes, especially Chinese brands as they have designed their shoes to withstand heavy outdoor use where they take a proper beating.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
Basketball shoes have too much cushioning. It's useful when you're jumping high and landing on wooden floors, but too heavy and not stable enough for the rubber floors of TT.
I couldn’t disagree more, not only do basketball shoes have many different types of tech for cushioning, basketball is also played on rubber floors

Also basketball shoes are made to be stable, with the movement patterns and torque put on ankles and knees, they have to be

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
Basketball footwear is where most of the big consumer brands are investing big $$$ and is where a lot of innovation is coming from.

In the last few years Puma, New Balance, ASICS and recently even Sketchers have gotten in seriously - marketing and sponsoring prominent NBA and WNBA players.

Along with all the money been poured in from Chinese companies - Li Ning & Way of Wade, Anta, 361, Peak, Rigorer.

For table tennis, the most appropriate low cut basketball shoes will be those designed for point guards in mind - low to the ground, court feel, lightweight, traction, responsive cushioning setup.

Recommended models:

Under Armour Curry 8, 9, 10, 11 with its super grippy wide Flow outsole.

Nike Lebron 20 & 21 for best cushioning setup money can buy while also having top tier traction, excellent court feel and remaining relatively light in weight.

Nike Kobe Protro, Ja 1, Sabrina 1, Freak 5. Narrow footers should go look into KD’s.

Puma Scoot 1 or All Pro Nitro.

Adidas is relatively heavy in general, though Harden, Dame and Trae Young lines offer great impact protection, stability with extra wide bases and low to the ground court feel.

Haven’t played in any New Balance or Chinese branded low cut basketball shoes but by all accounts the point guard centred models would also be excellent for table tennis particular those wanting extra protection for ankle sprains, knee sprains, or better comfort in general.

Basketball shoes are also overall more durable than TT shoes, especially Chinese brands as they have designed their shoes to withstand heavy outdoor use where they take a proper beating.
Well said

Id also add that most basketball shoes, except some Nikes for whatever reason also have shanks in them to prevent too much mid foot flex

Right now my court shoe is puma Clyde all pro, it’s a few years old but super minimal and I have no reason to think it wouldn’t be a solid tt shoe

My tt shoe is a Don issue 4, adidas is usually bulky but if you go with lightstrike, they aren’t terrible

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I would never use b-ball shoes for TT. Like it has been said they're too heavy and have high center of gravity. TT shoes have thinner soles and less cushion because I'm not jumping up and down every two seconds.

I remember the first time I played with proper TT shoes. I felt like I instantly gained 200 rating points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I couldn’t disagree more, not only do basketball shoes have many different types of tech for cushioning, basketball is also played on rubber floors

Also basketball shoes are made to be stable, with the movement patterns and torque put on ankles and knees, they have to be
There is no magic to shoe design, it's all about tradeoffs. It's simple physics that a thicker sole with more cushioning cannot be as laterally stable as a thinner sole with less cushioning while maintaining the same weight, for example.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
There is no magic to shoe design, it's all about tradeoffs. It's simple physics that a thicker sole with more cushioning cannot be as laterally stable as a thinner sole with less cushioning while maintaining the same weight, for example.
That’s not correct…shoes are specifically designed for different aspects of performance…laterally stable depends on support of the shoes. How wide a base is, how supportive the material is, how good the lockdown is, is the heel locked in? Does it fit properly?

A thin layer of foam on a narrow shoe won’t be nearly as stable as a thicker layer of foam on a wider base….nothing in this thread that is pro table tennis specific shoes is accurate if you actually know shoe technology

Same way ppl incorrectly believe that higher cut shoes are better for your ankles when in reality they aren’t any better and it’s largely dependent on fit, heel containment, and base of the shoe

If what you just said was true, we’d still be playing basketball in chuck taylors which are low to the ground..or futbol in adidas sambas…but no one does that because adding a better cushioning and improving designs doesn’t hinder, it adds…from what I’ve seen, tt shoes are behind in this regards, again, I haven’t dug in, but from what I do know and can see, it’s just the same old same old

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Read 1 reviews
I ordered the Mizuno Drive 8. Any thoughts?
Mizuno-Wave-Drive-8-2020-news.png

Reactions: JustANoob