Low-Throw Rubber on Low-Throw Blade

Recently got myself a Stiga Cybershape as a birthday gift. A beautiful and sleek-looking blade indeed. I'm thinking of pairing it with the Jekyll&Hyde V52.5 on the forehand. To my knowledge, both the blade and rubber are relatively low-throw and are fast. Like really fast. Would this combination be too fast, or too difficult to handle given that they both have low throw angles and are both fast blades and rubbers? I do enjoy the occasional slow loop to open up spinny back spin so I would love to know if that would be an issue before I glue on the rubber.

Also, side topic, I read in a forum post a long time ago, and I quote directly: "Keep in mind that the combination of the dwell-time offered by the blade and the spin offered by the rubber determines the actual spin-value; a fast carbon blade will generally have a low dwelling-time and so will need a slightly spinier pip than an all-wood blade. The throw of a blade will also partly determine for which kind of pip it is suitable; low throw goes with spinny pips, and high throw with less spinny pips. Low throw in a combination helps to make your returns more dangerous, but beginners shouldn’t go for too much of this good thing."

I currently use Moristo SP on the backhand of a Stiga Ebenholz NCT VII which is a 7-ply all-wood blade. Given the quote above, does this mean I'll have to transition into a slightly more grippy short pip such as the Moristo SP AX when using short pips on the backhand of the Cybershape?

Last edited:

mil

This user has no status.

mil

This user has no status.
Nov 2012
I have tried a ZGR in max on a Persson PowerCarbon and the low throw combination is not playable - I did not have an arc for a normal topspin, not to speak of slow spinny opening loops.
I put the ZGR on a Freitas ALC, which is probably medium throw, and, magic magic, I can play it and like it.

With short pips I think you are also correct - a spinny higher throw pip should pair well with a low throw blade.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Such a setup is dream control setup for a player who likes to launch loopdrive missiles as a first and only choice.

With a little learning and adjustment, receiving short serves short is not so bad either. (lower rebound on low impact shot)

So it will come down to what it always comes down to... what kind of shots do you frequently do and what equipment makes it easier to do those?

So if all you do is receive short, then blast away, or serve and blast away, or bang it back and forth like no tomorrow, this setup you propose would fit like a glove.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
I don't think there is an inverted rubber/blade combination with a throw angle so low it can't be adjusted to when you consider there are people playing offensively with pips on the forehand. The question you need to ask yourself is if you are willing to make that adjustment and devote the time to doing so.

Reactions: brokenball
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I was so eager to post something until I read the last paragraph about pips and then I said to myself... Nah!
Yesterday I played with a U10 Provincial representative player. The kid is 9 y/o. After beating him, I chatted with his father. I have played with the father numerous times and never once won him. This is what the father said to me,

" Gozo, I know you think of me using pips is unfair and what's not, but here's the thing, I am winning and you are not. He then gave me a cheeky wink.

IMG_7937.jpeg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Recently got myself a Stiga Cybershape as a birthday gift. A beautiful and sleek-looking blade indeed. I'm thinking of pairing it with the Jekyll&Hyde V52.5 on the forehand. To my knowledge, both the blade and rubber are relatively low-throw and are fast. Like really fast. Would this combination be too fast, or too difficult to handle given that they both have low throw angles and are both fast blades and rubbers? I do enjoy the occasional slow loop to open up spinny back spin so I would love to know if that would be an issue before I glue on the rubber.

Also, side topic, I read in a forum post a long time ago, and I quote directly: "Keep in mind that the combination of the dwell-time offered by the blade and the spin offered by the rubber determines the actual spin-value; a fast carbon blade will generally have a low dwelling-time and so will need a slightly spinier pip than an all-wood blade. The throw of a blade will also partly determine for which kind of pip it is suitable; low throw goes with spinny pips, and high throw with less spinny pips. Low throw in a combination helps to make your returns more dangerous, but beginners shouldn’t go for too much of this good thing."

I currently use Moristo SP on the backhand of a Stiga Ebenholz NCT VII which is a 7-ply all-wood blade. Given the quote above, does this mean I'll have to transition into a slightly more grippy short pip such as the Moristo SP AX when using short pips on the backhand of the Cybershape?
Bro try h3 on zjk blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Recently got myself a Stiga Cybershape as a birthday gift. A beautiful and sleek-looking blade indeed. I'm thinking of pairing it with the Jekyll&Hyde V52.5 on the forehand. To my knowledge, both the blade and rubber are relatively low-throw and are fast. Like really fast. Would this combination be too fast, or too difficult to handle given that they both have low throw angles and are both fast blades and rubbers? I do enjoy the occasional slow loop to open up spinny back spin so I would love to know if that would be an issue before I glue on the rubber.fmwhatsapp

I experimented with a ZGR rubber on a Persson PowerCarbon with maximum sponge thickness, and the low throw combination proved impractical. I struggled to generate a proper arc for normal topspins, let alone slow, spinny opening loops. However, when I transferred the ZGR to a Freitas ALC, likely a medium throw blade, it worked like magic—I found it playable and enjoyable.
Your observation about short pips seems accurate as well. A spinny, higher throw pip should complement a low throw blade effectively.