Stiff soft blade with low throw

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hi
I am interested in finding stiff baldes with low throw. I like the primorac carbon feeling and playing style but it is a bit fast.

I found conflicting opinions about different 7ply blades throw angle. I tried clipper wood with G1 and it had a high throw angle. I am not sure if I this was because the G1 or not.

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Primorac Carbon is as good as it gets if price is a factor. First of all really Steel blades will be be composites unless you are looking at 1 ply Hinokis. In the 3+2 Hinoki Carbon/composites, you can go with the ZLC( Nobilis or Amultart or Garaydia ZLC). Not a fan of the Garaydia ALC or Iolite but you can try that too. If you didnt like the speed of the Primorac Carbon, then Sardius and Garaydia T5000/Schlager Carbon won't help you. Xiom also has some Hinoki Carbons that might make sense.

If you want a more traditional looping blade, you can try the ZJK T5000 or one of the Super ALCs/ZLCs which are a bit better in feeling than the Primorac Carbon, but those are also significantly more expensive blades.

Good luck.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you want something a bit slower than Primorac Carbon, you might think about trying an all wood 7 ply Hinoki blade. The Darker 7p-2a.7t is quite fast for an all wood blade (about the same speed as TB ALC) but not as fast as the Primorac Carbon. It will have that Hinoki feel and because it is 7mm thick, it is fairly stiff even though all 7 plies are Hinoki. If you wanted even a little bit slower, the Darker 7p-2a (leave out the 7t and the thickness is 6.3mm).

I have played a lot with a Darker 7p-2a.7t. It is a pretty amazing blade in my opinion.....at least the one I have played with.

My experience is that, when you pair Hinoki or Cypress with carbon or combination composites like ALC or ZLC you usually end up with a blade that is freakin' fast. But an all Hinoki blade with no carbon is often still quite fast and you get even more of that Hinoki feel.

Is the 7p-2a.7t low throw? My memory is that it feels that to me. But I use blades and rubbers that nobody would describe as low throw. So.....I may not be the best judge of what someone else will feel. :)

Reactions: muhammad
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Vodak Hinoki Carbon OFF: Pretty stiff, softish feel on impact, low throw.

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
Hi
I am interested in finding stiff baldes with low throw. I like the primorac carbon feeling and playing style but it is a bit fast.

I found conflicting opinions about different 7ply blades throw angle. I tried clipper wood with G1 and it had a high throw angle. I am not sure if I this was because the G1 or not.

Thanks
There were many posts like this. You may want to be more specific to get a good answer.
  1. What is your budget?
  2. Are you a beginner or intermediate?
  3. What is your technique level?
  4. What is your playing style?
  5. Do you have a coach?
  6. Etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Isn't throw determined by the rubber?
Throw is a bogus term.
Define throw!
No one has done it, so I will.
If a particular stroke results in a horizontal ball then we can define throw as the angle above horizontal for the same stroke.
With this definition we can use the how far the ball has gone up over a certain distance and compute the arc tangent to get an angle.
Faster paddles will have a smaller angle. Slower paddles with spinny rubbers will have a higher angle. So think about the "rise over run."
For a low "throw angles" you want a small rise over run.

The problem is that this depends on making the same stroke. People aren't calibrated machines so people will have different opinions depending on their stroke.

So the rubber is necessary to get more "rise" over the same "run". No rubber, no "rise"

Reactions: JJ Ng
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
12 years on and still going strong.
The funny thing is pnachtwey used the term in his own response(surprisingly reasonable) for roughly the first year, before all of a sudden becoming self-aware like an AI and decided to go on a personal crusade to destroy any dialogue at every mention of the term.

It's been 7 years and I honestly think it's high time we got past the argument over nomenclature. It's getting nowhere. Any normal person would simply treat you like a cuckoo when you tell them "throw angle? I'm offended by that." Nobody cares if that term is not your cup of tea. Just move on.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Oh great, this what is called an "insider joke" right.
There is nothing "insider" about it. It has been going on for 13 years now.

I think I got it ?
Did I ????
No, not yet.

The OP however asks for the XYZ of blades NOT rubbers
Right ??????
Yes, I really liked my Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5. However, it was fragile, and it broke. I replaced it with a TB ALC.
Same blade head size so I can apply the same rubbers to the TB ALC.
The Butterfly BCX5 would be suitable for the OP. There are Chinese equivalents.

Nov 2022
The trajectory cuve could be different for two different rubbers with same throw angle.
As I see it, the throw angle is the angle at the the instant the ball leaves the racket. But the trajectory curving happens sort of well after that & may be different for two different rubbers depending on the rotational kinetic energy carried by the ball during flight. Ball coming from one rubber may collapse faster than the other giving a different trajectory (curve)
Now I confuse :rolleyes: