Marvellous 12 2019

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I thought this was too good to pass. In a nutshell, CM got pissed after losing to WMY in the Asian Games Singles Finals (the former was leading 3 games to 1) so she got a new phone cover to remind herself to be more ruthless.

cache.php

Since then, CM has only fallen to WMY once (during CTTSL finals) but never for any of the subsequent encounters on the international stage. I guess WMY only has herself to blame then haha.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
A40+, the official ball for WTTC 2019. The logo looks nearly identical to the G40+.

pZko51f.jpg

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
A40+, the official ball for WTTC 2019. The logo looks nearly identical to the G40+.

cache.php

What catches my eye is the surprising uneven glue and/or boost job. With the margins being so small, might that not make a small (detrimental) difference?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
What catches my eye is the surprising uneven glue and/or boost job. With the margins being so small, might that not make a small (detrimental) difference?
I don't think so. When I first started gluing my own rubbers I'd redo a side for even minor unevenness, but soon laziness encouraged controlled experiments to assess the performance of perfect smoothness versus minor ripples. The results? No discernible difference.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't think so. When I first started gluing my own rubbers I'd redo a side for even minor unevenness, but soon laziness encouraged controlled experiments to assess the performance of perfect smoothness versus minor ripples. The results? No discernible difference.

My exact view as well. I think of those issues as the province of meticulous players, but having little to do with actual TT performance. As long as unevenness is not so severe that there are obvious elevations and depressions, I can use it. And obvious usually means a ball of glue is somewhere underneath the sponge.

Reactions: yoass and Suga D
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
To me this settles the debate of whether we need tournaments where women compete with men. The absolute best female athletes couldn't handle tier3 CNT male players.

All said and done, the same holds for nearly all players (male or female) outside CNT and JNT. Yet you can train and be coached all you want, the ultimate step needed to up yourself to the next level is actually confronting that level of competition. To be challenged at that level, to adapt to it, and rise to that challenge.

Not offering the challenge means not offering that possibility to step up. If we stop that opportunity (whether for women altogether, or just for the equally outclassed non-CNT/JNT Top 100 (or so) players), we're blocking the development path.

"So that settles it", to me, sounds like a dead end. It's a verdict, not a statement of fact per se.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
All said and done, the same holds for nearly all players (male or female) outside CNT and JNT. Yet you can train and be coached all you want, the ultimate step needed to up yourself to the next level is actually confronting that level of competition. To be challenged at that level, to adapt to it, and rise to that challenge.

Not offering the challenge means not offering that possibility to step up. If we stop that opportunity (whether for women altogether, or just for the equally outclassed non-CNT/JNT Top 100 (or so) players), we're blocking the development path.

"So that settles it", to me, sounds like a dead end. It's a verdict, not a statement of fact per se.

Old debate and I don't think the gap would be closed entirely, but that's a good point and very nicely put.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017

Old debate and I don't think the gap would be closed entirely, but that's a good point and very nicely put.

On the philosophical note ... : )
I think, there will be a gap for the simple fact that our bodies are different. It's just how we are, how we evolved so far ...
Surely yoass, you are right that to become better you have to be challenged, so in terms of athleticism we are a challenge for women, but should it mean that we have to be the same ... athleticism is just one aspect of our bodies ...

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
To me this settles the debate of whether we need tournaments where women compete with men. The absolute best female athletes couldn't handle tier3 CNT male players.

Well, they couldn’t handle Mima Ito as well and it didn’t settle anything. They just weren’t really prepared for what was coming.

Also, tier 3 CNT players are probably tier 1 rest of the world :rolleyes:

Jan 2018
Well, they couldn’t handle Mima Ito as well and it didn’t settle anything. They just weren’t really prepared for what was coming.

Also, tier 3 CNT players are probably tier 1 rest of the world :rolleyes:
That. After losing to Ito/Morizono pair in the XD at the All-Japan 2019, Harimoto actually told the press that Ito can compete with male players in speed and reaction, how it felt like he was playing in MD with all those winners from Ito.

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201901180000109.html
張本は伊藤との初対戦に「世界大会で中国選手に勝つ選手。受けてみて強かったし、(自分が)ノータッチの球もあった。男子ダブルスと戦っている感じだった」とたたえた。