Modern replacement for BTY Oh Sang Eun blade

This user has no status.
Hi all,

Sorry for starting an equipment based thread in the never ending sea of them. I recently lost my absolute favorite blade to de-lamination. Maybe the hand sanitizer dried it out, I don't know. It's an old BTY Oh Sang Eun, so no way I can replace, and honestly, after it de-laminating...I kinda want some easier to replace. A Honda Civic type of blade I won't worry about. I predominantly play BH, FHs consists of counters more than out right looping. Around 1800~ USATT, coached 2x weekly. Price isn't a concern. Will likely be using Rozena or similar sponge hardness rubber.

Specs on BTY Oh Sang Eun:
90~grams
Thin flat FL handle
5 ply (koto-koto-ayous-Koto-Koto)
5.7-5.8mm thick

Requirements:
(most important) Stiff/consistent (is that considered low elasticity?)
Under 90 grams
Under 6mm thick
All wood

Preferences:
Off-ish speed (I don't need more)
5 Ply (would consider 7)
Butterfly or Nittaku would be nice
Good "touch" but non-reactive blade (100% would prefer a dead/dull blade to a bouncy/springy one every day)
Thin/flat handle
Normal/small size head

Blades that I have owned and did not like:
OSP Expert (Hated it, unbelievably flexy)
Nittaku Acoustic (Great FH feeling, too flexy for my BH/play style)
Nittaku Ludeack (I couldn't stand the square handle with barely any flare, and too thick of a blade)

Thank you for any help!

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hadraw VK - it is largely the Same blade, just over priced.

+1 for the Hadraw VK.

I own a VK and a Oh Sang Eun, they're the most similar.

The Korbel Japan or Harimoto ALC might also do the trick, or perhaps the Innerforce ZLC (I find ZLC to be especially good for BH).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hadraw VK - it is largely the Same blade, just over priced.

I had no clue, thank you. I went ahead and ordered one that weighs 88gr (preferred weight, same as my Viscaria and ZJK ALC).

+1 for the Hadraw VK.

I own a VK and a Oh Sang Eun, they're the most similar.

The Korbel Japan or Harimoto ALC might also do the trick, or perhaps the Innerforce ZLC (I find ZLC to be especially good for BH).

That is good to hear it's essentially apples to apples. I was going to do Korbel just cause it was cheap and easy, but I really am not a fan of larger sized heads with softer wood veneers for some reason. Still seems too flexy in my experience. Would have been the easiest option to replace should the same issue occur though.

I actually have two of the BTY Yoshimura Custom IF ZLC's they had a year or two ago. I agree, ZLC is really nice for the back hand. My bigger qualm is for brushing back spin and generally shot where you aren't going directly through the ball with lots of arm speed, and the ZLC doesn't kick in. Leads for a pretty inconsistent handling blade (for someone my low-level). Super fun and great feedback though.

Tsp Gaia II,
Dhs h301 if you want try alc
Xiom Diva even stiffier because koto ayous ayous
Samsonov Pure wood I think has koto too and mahogany, hipnotic said that mahogany is underatted material so I believe him because he a genius
If you like koto more than limba (stiffier more forward impact)
Korbel Japan/harimoto alc( awful handle) is not for you, but korbel is always good choice

Thanks. Definitely prefer koto when available as you deduced. I've played with a h301, very cripsy. I have a Viscaria and ZJK ALC, but I'm trying to take a step back on speed. Was trying to find the all-wood equivalent.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong