My backhand loop is not working

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
Dear members,
Any suggessions for improving backhand loop. Whenever i try to hit the ball it finds the net or goes off the table. Am I doing something wrong in the basics of the shot.
Any help will be appreciated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
If the ball is going all over the place, your stroke technique is not consistent. It is hard to tell what you're doing wrong without seeing you do it, but I'm suspecting that your bat angle changes during the shot and your swing isn't good.
It is hard to give advice without seeing you so I would suggest you to watch instructional and pro match videos from youtube and then practise the stroke first in front of a mirror so you can see if your doing it right. Then the next time you play focus on doing it correctly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Good video, but he is little bit too high up, he should be with lower stance. I will add picture series, what I made for myself from Patrick Franziska Bh loop against underspin ball.
Fransiska BH.jpg
From the first picture look at his low stance, then he brought his shoulder infront and also cocked his wrist ath the second, his free hand is on the side for balance. Movement starts with shoulder, then elbow little bit infront and then forearm and finally wrist, movement is forward.
This is the loop from video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T98MJ3d1JkQ#t=109s

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
Good video, but he is little bit too high up, he should be with lower stance. I will add picture series, what I made for myself from Patrick Franziska Bh loop against underspin ball.
View attachment 2331
From the first picture look at his low stance, then he brought his shoulder infront and also cocked his wrist ath the second, his free hand is on the side for balance. Movement starts with shoulder, then elbow little bit infront and then forearm and finally wrist, movement is forward.
This is the loop from video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T98MJ3d1JkQ#t=109s

Nice video Rainer87. I think I am not letting the ball out of the board enough. I am hitting the ball quickly and that is why it goes off the table. What do you think?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If your BH loop goes everywhere, you have a huge problem. usually, such inconsistancy is from a bad position or hitting out of optimal strike zone. You can correct swing plane, blade angle, and how low you go. Sometimes, players do not keep their playing elbow close enough to body and they end up using too much shoulder. With BH loop, getting into position is everything. next is turning the hitting shoulder and getting that waist down. So many mistakes are made hitting this shot from an errect position. If I got paid $10 USD every time this happened in my city alone, I would be a billionaire easy. Keep at it dude.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
You really have to get low, especially looping against a backspin. Focus on that, and your racket angle. To start, it has to come from your elbow and just before impact, your wrist comes into action. Timing is crucial, get it right, it can be very rewarding. Once you're good at it, ONLY then you may start swinging from your shoulder. But still, most pros don't do this coz it's not easy.

What D_E said is right, pointing your shoulder across the net before hitting does help. The guy that you saw in the video is a pro, he can hit the ball at any position, coz he understands the technique, so he improvised..and that's what he did there. It's ok to be upright if the ball is high, but it's around your abdomen, you have to get down low.