Need help in setup: I am frustrated

This user has no status.
Great post. I think TurboZ has this right. Especially if you found a Clipper too slow. I actually missed the detail that your old blade was 115 grams.

It will be an adventure trying to find a blade with that kind of weight. But DHS may be your best bet.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

I'm not exactly sure, but didn't Samsonov use a heavy butterfly blade for the longest time before he was forced to retire it? He's been experimenting with different setups ever since.

Seriously though, there is no set rule that says you have to use one blade make/model and stick with it for your whole career to become successful. Ma Long switched through several blades in his career. His coach encourages his players to experiment with different setups too. It is the players who are often tentative to experiment because it can affect their game negatively. But the last thing LGL wants to have is a player pigeonholing himself with a setup that may not be optimal for his style, because change could also affect their game positively.

This user has no status.
Joo, Mazunov and may the new Butterfly Hadraw VR are somewhere along the lines of what he is looking for. So is the Power 7, which is almost exclusively sold in India these days.

Yes the Mazunov. I think that was what Samsonov used for a long time. But he was never afraid to try setups that are very different.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Nothing wrong with trying new equipment.

If OP was using a 115 gram beast and was trying a Viscaria after, it adds more info as to why he wouldn't like a Viscaria.

The equipment may be a throw back and maybe outdated. But if that is what makes the OP happy, why not?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
On a sidenote I tried stiga clipperwood with Rakza 7 on FH & BH from one of my training buddies..Wooden feel yes but it was a tad bit slow for me. I surely need a racket faster than that. Top of the clipper wood blade could have been lighter.
well which clipper wrb or classic? Anyway both of them are off blades. Rakza 7 is little simillar to T05, medium to hard and quite fast. If that setup is too slow for you then why I do not see you on international stage, or maybe you are playing that level ???
In Poland most of players from 1-2 league use all+ to off- blades and definitetly they do not lack of power. If you give this setup to any pro player you will be very shocked how fast it can be.
On the other hand if you have still possibility to check it out try to relax your arm and your grip and then play some topspin if most of balls do not go out and you still insist it is too slow then I underestimated and probably your coaches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
well which clipper wrb or classic? Anyway both of them are off blades. Rakza 7 is little simillar to T05, medium to hard and quite fast. If that setup is too slow for you then why I do not see you on international stage, or maybe you are playing that level ???
In Poland most of players from 1-2 league use all+ to off- blades and definitetly they do not lack of power. If you give this setup to any pro player you will be very shocked how fast it can be.
On the other hand if you have still possibility to check it out try to relax your arm and your grip and then play some topspin if most of balls do not go out and you still insist it is too slow then I underestimated and probably your coaches.

Everyone is different. He has said he is an experienced player, so the most important thing is to get him what he likes, not what we without seeing how he plays thinks is best for him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If so he is, then he should know better and would not ask amateurs like us.

It's not about amateurs or pros, it's about finding what he likes. He knows what he likes, but he doesn't know what is like it. He tried something popular so we have a reference point which we can use to point him in a direction.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Great post. I think TurboZ has this right. Especially if you found a Clipper too slow. I actually missed the detail that your old blade was 115 grams.

It will be an adventure trying to find a blade with that kind of weight. But DHS may be your best bet.

You know Der_Echte would insert a Ship's ANCHOR into the blade handle to get it to the target weight...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

If OP was using a 115 gram beast and was trying a Viscaria after, it adds more info as to why he wouldn't like a Viscaria.

The equipment may be a throw back and maybe outdated. But if that is what makes the OP happy, why not?

Get OP to go HEAVY and do a BEAST MOD on the Viscaria (if he can get a heat gun) and go happy silly fun offensive Rambo attack go get 'em Cowboy fun as all let out.

This user has no status.
If so he is, then he should know better and would not ask amateurs like us.

Let it go dum dum..lol

Yeah..I have money to blow..sue me..!!.

And Polish players are the best in the world. Give them a wooden knife and they will beat Marvelous 12 of Chinese trials. And You are right, you are an amateur. Add constructive advice in the list apart from the game.

Your passive aggressive behaviour not only amuses me but makes me laugh actually.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

What I plan to do now is to setup mx-p on viscaria to begin with.I just received the package today so will try for this week to see how it goes, like many have suggested to use hard rubbers on viscaria.

Also, I should be able to get my hands on emerald vps and long 5 to see how it works.

I checked for DHS 08 but can't find it anywhere online. Spoke to the distributor here and he said he will check.

Since i am upgrading after a long time, therefore I am pretty flexible on options to try.

Whether I need an off blade or an OFF+. Can comment on that only after trying.
I have been able to manage viscaria like a breeze therefore OFF+ is definitely something i can manage with.
However I am curious to see if an OFF blade provides more stability. But I would like to try the hard rubbers first before switching blades.

So quite a few options now to experiment which is exciting.

Will keep posting my views post play.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Have you ever tried the dhs 08 blade? Get the 60th anniversary special edition. Blade is like 110 grams or more. The blade of my coach before was given to him by a coach of wang nan when he trained in china. It was in the 90's and he is still using it up to now. It was about 115grams when I weighed it.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Have you ever tried the dhs 08 blade? Get the 60th anniversary special edition. Blade is like 110 grams or more. The blade of my coach before was given to him by a coach of wang nan when he trained in china. It was in the 90's and he is still using it up to now. It was about 115grams when I weighed it.

Hey yogi, Turboz just covered on this point.

This user has no status.
ok friends I am back.

So, i went back to Mark V rubber, bought some new sheets and tried.
DHS Long 5
Emerald VPS &
Viscaria.

I ordered the blades from tabletennis11.cocm and their customer service was top notch.

I tried all of them with Mark V max rubber to see if may be I am not ready for tensor rubbers.

Changing the rubbers solved the problem as far as viscaria is concerned.

However, I am in love with Long 5 blade as this is one of the finest blades that I have played with.
The beauty is the amount of control it offers apart from speed and spin. Very adaptable blade and the punch is really good.
Surprisingly, I found this blade too easy to handle compared to Emerald VPS. And the handle is not really small as what I has been talked about. I couldnt feel much of the difference in terms of handle size, though its relatively small.

Its been almost two- three weeks that I am playing iwth long 5 and Mark V max. i now feel like putting a set of
fast rubbers to see where it gets me to.

I have a pair of tenergy 05. Probably will try them in next two weeks.

Most likely I will put Emerald VPS and Viscaria on Sale.