New Balls UPDATE for UK

Should all events use the new plastic ball right away?

• Yes

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • I don't mind

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Directive from Table Tennis England yesterday

"The new polyball will be used for internationals and Grand Prix events. Local leagues however can use EITHER ball for this coming season."

What do we think? It's a bit of a minefield for local leagues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Video in Chinese though
CNT B team been testing these balls for over a year.
coaching staff has been identifing technical adjustments and training methods adjustment to the new ball.

My recommedation - TTE and rest of the world - copy asap before it is too late

video here

For local leagues, most will likely stay with old ball, but sooner or later the transition will be there.
Just like how 38mm to 40mm happened. The lower leagues are always the last to move over.
I'm sure there will be some AGM to vote in favour or not.
Socials doesn't count obviously

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This nicely illustrates the principle that ANY rules change, no matter what it is, will favor the CNT. They will immediately have a squad of players, coaches, and PhDs studying the best way to train, play, and equip players for WHATEVER rule change is instituted, and they have such a depth, quality and diversity of players that they will always find a few who are perfectly suited. It is just how it is. In China they simply care more about TT than anyone else and invest a lot more into it.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yeah you are right @Baal China are way ahead in terms of preparing and practice with the new ball.

Personally I think its better to make the change right away in all table tennis events whether that's league or tournaments. Some players may not like having to play one event with celluloid ball and different event with the plastic ball. Maybe leagues have the choice because of the demand of balls. But I presume by end of July there should be a lot of plastic balls in circulation.

says Aging is a killer
It's the priniciple

My beef with the TTE is that they intend to make the Poly balls mandatory for all competitions. I pointed out to them on FB that the cel-ball will still be legal for play. Thus it should be left to local event organisers whether their tournament is cel-ball or poly ball.
It's similar to making all events inverted rubber only even though pips-out are legal for play.
I have no problem playing with the new ball in all my events but it is a matter of principle. Some organisers may wish to put on an event using what is a legal ball.
Why close the door on them and create schisms where there presently are none.
The balls are different but not different enough that players can't switch easily. In fact it is much easier than playing hardbat and sponge in the same event which some events do have and players enjoy the challenge.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
My beef with the TTE is that they intend to make the Poly balls mandatory for all competitions. I pointed out to them on FB that the cel-ball will still be legal for play. Thus it should be left to local event organisers whether their tournament is cel-ball or poly ball.
It's similar to making all events inverted rubber only even though pips-out are legal for play.
I have no problem playing with the new ball in all my events but it is a matter of principle. Some organisers may wish to put on an event using what is a legal ball.
Why close the door on them and create schisms where there presently are none.
The balls are different but not different enough that players can't switch easily. In fact it is much easier than playing hardbat and sponge in the same event which some events do have and players enjoy the challenge.

That makes sense, by 2015 won't it be mandatory for all events to use the new plastic ball?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
The daft thing for me is that as a player I could be using a celluloid ball in my Thursday local league game and a poly ball at the weekend. How can one sport allow equipment that plays differently to be used for different events all in the same season.

If the rumours are true and the seamed poly plays different to the seamless then the issues of different equipment are exacerbated.

Either use the poly this season or use the celluloid. Do not allow both (unless its a specific local event).

Given the difficulty in even getting hold of a poly ball in the UK at the moment and the fact that a major manufacturer like Butterfly is not happy with the quality I would stick with celluloid for now. Much easier for our International players to train with poly than for the rank and file to have to use both within the same 7 day period.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
That makes sense, by 2015 won't it be mandatory for all events to use the new plastic ball?

No. The cel-ball will still be legal for play.
The ETTA wants to make it mandatory to use the poly ball only even though the cel-ball will still be legal for play.

Last edited:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
The daft thing for me is that as a player I could be using a celluloid ball in my Thursday local league game and a poly ball at the weekend. How can one sport allow equipment that plays differently to be used for different events all in the same season.

If the rumours are true and the seamed poly plays different to the seamless then the issues of different equipment are exacerbated.

Either use the poly this season or use the celluloid. Do not allow both (unless its a specific local event).

Given the difficulty in even getting hold of a poly ball in the UK at the moment and the fact that a major manufacturer like Butterfly is not happy with the quality I would stick with celluloid for now. Much easier for our International players to train with poly than for the rank and file to have to use both within the same 7 day period.

I have also heard that British League will use the celluloid ball for the first year. So for the top players playing in Prem Brit League will use celluloid and in grandprixs they will use the plastic ball. It will be interesting to see how this season plays out for players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
I may be over simplifying things.

If you play GP plus Brit League and even in Germany, France or International events you have some time to practice and prepare for your event.

If you play local league plus GP or lower Brit league you could find more of a random ball choice.

Imagine 2 players of a similar ranking. One plays local league Monday using celluloid and the other on a Thursday. Both play a poly ball GP or other ranking event on Saturday/Sunday then the one who plays on a Monday has a massive advantage (more chance to practice). The date of your local league match should not be a factor on your overall ranking.

Tiny makes a good point. Will the different balls make a difference to a certain level of player? We do not know. The better the player the more the difference will be noted but for most of us in the UK we have no idea what changes we need to make and cannot yet even begin to get started.