New blade help for beginner / intermediate player

This user has no status.
Definition of "beginner" is kinda wide in this thread. I would suggest all to all+ to this "beginner". Do the upgrade in the rubbers and when you can't do that anymore, change the blade. As a coach/trainer I must say that the biggest problem for "new" players = to fast equipment. Which results in a sloppy and uncertain technique.

My view of table tennis (NO IT DON'T MEAN THAT IT'S "THE CORRECT ONE" BECAUSE PEOPLE HAS DIFFERENT VIEWS) is to focus control and technique in both footwork, physical training and strokes with a solid allround bat. When you hit the point where the real disadvantage = not able to kill the ball, then start upgrade the equipment. E.g. a kid who starts out with a "slow" bat and by time learns to hit the table more and more has an more efficient practice then a kid with a bat that's to fast and misses let's say 30-70%. Simple math = more balls on the table = more balls played during a practice = a better progresse by time. Just by becoming older (closer to puberty) or better in a physical aspect helps you kill the ball with the same old bat. Stepping up in equipment can be a way to try to shortcut to success so do it first when you hit a point where it's really needed.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Definition of "beginner" is kinda wide in this thread. I would suggest all to all+ to this "beginner". Do the upgrade in the rubbers and when you can't do that anymore, change the blade. As a coach/trainer I must say that the biggest problem for "new" players = to fast equipment. Which results in a sloppy and uncertain technique.

My view of table tennis (NO IT DON'T MEAN THAT IT'S "THE CORRECT ONE" BECAUSE PEOPLE HAS DIFFERENT VIEWS) is to focus control and technique in both footwork, physical training and strokes with a solid allround bat. When you hit the point where the real disadvantage = not able to kill the ball, then start upgrade the equipment. E.g. a kid who starts out with a "slow" bat and by time learns to hit the table more and more has an more efficient practice then a kid with a bat that's to fast and misses let's say 30-70%. Simple math = more balls on the table = more balls played during a practice = a better progresse by time. Just by becoming older (closer to puberty) or better in a physical aspect helps you kill the ball with the same old bat. Stepping up in equipment can be a way to try to shortcut to success so do it first when you hit a point where it's really needed.

Good, solid post. Straight forward info. Listen to the man.

Reactions: Inkognito
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
[FONT=&quot]Hi.. Can anyone plz suggest me a better combination out of following three options..1..BLADE- Yasaka Sweeden Defence.RUBBER- Yasaka Rising Dragon + Yasaka Phantom 2.. BLADE- Tibhar Stratus Power Defense.RUBBER- Tibhar Aurus + Tibhar Grass Dtecs..3..BLADE- Stiga Allround ClassicRUBBER- Stiga Calibra Lt + Stiga Destroyer.. Thanks in advance[/FONT]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
[FONT=&quot]Hi.. Can anyone plz suggest me a better combination out of following three options..1..BLADE- Yasaka Sweeden Defence.RUBBER- Yasaka Rising Dragon + Yasaka Phantom 2.. BLADE- Tibhar Stratus Power Defense.RUBBER- Tibhar Aurus + Tibhar Grass Dtecs..3..BLADE- Stiga Allround ClassicRUBBER- Stiga Calibra Lt + Stiga Destroyer.. Thanks in advance[/FONT]

1) why are you trying to match the same brand for blade and rubbers?

2) whatever else you do, don't use Calibra LT. [emoji2]

I really would not worry about keeping same brand for blade and rubber. All it does it limit your choices. And there is no intelligent reason to do that.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: BeGo