New Butterfly robot Amicus PRO

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Guys where can one order this online? (in USA)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Yea... i have it for a while now.

Care to share your impression on this please ? I am thinking of buying it. How well does it simulate real life-like match scenarios? How's the material quality as in Robot head and control panel. I will probably have to do an overseas shipping to get this !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Care to share your impression on this please ? I am thinking of buying it. How well does it simulate real life-like match scenarios? How's the material quality as in Robot head and control panel. I will probably have to do an overseas shipping to get this !

It takes some time to program the drills but after that you are good to go. It simulates real life match pretty well i guess. But the problem with me is that i find my self playing it less and less, i haven't touched it for the last 2 months.... I prefer to play at the club more often than practicing with it. I was so eager to get it and now i hardly ever touch it. I hope it won't happen to you also.
The material is pretty good. I might take some videos of it soon. let me know what you want to know/see and i'll try my best to help.

Reactions: Suga D and abhay
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
It takes some time to program the drills but after that you are good to go. It simulates real life match pretty well i guess. But the problem with me is that i find my self playing it less and less, i haven't touched it for the last 2 months.... I prefer to play at the club more often than practicing with it. I was so eager to get it and now i hardly ever touch it. I hope it won't happen to you also.
The material is pretty good. I might take some videos of it soon. let me know what you want to know/see and i'll try my best to help.

Thanks for the info :) , but i think i haven't explained myself... i was referring to the new Amicus robots shown in this video http://www.butterfly.tt/info/produc...micus/the-new-amicus-table-tennis-robot-video . The one which can be programmed

Is it the same one you bought? Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Yea, i have the advanced programmable console... i didn't know they have professional box too. never mind, it's pretty much the same.

1. Could you make a video showing the key features of the robot. ? ( AFC features, programmable features, saved exercises etc )
2. How easy is it to transport and setup ?
3. I will be asking a friend of mine from Germany to ship this using DHL / FEDEX.. , do you think the Robot head and control panel can be protected safely to ensure there is no damage during shipping.?
4. Have you outgrown the robot, in the sense have you tried out all of it's features and felt there's nothing much that the robot can offer?

I went through the previous pages in the thread , did you initially buy Amicus Pro and switched to advance control panel later ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
1. Could you make a video showing the key features of the robot. ? ( AFC features, programmable features, saved exercises etc )
3. I will be asking a friend of mine from Germany to ship this using DHL / FEDEX.. , do you think the Robot head and control panel can be protected safely to ensure there is no damage during shipping.?
4. Have you outgrown the robot, in the sense have you tried out all of it's features and felt there's nothing much that the robot can offer?

I went through the previous pages in the thread , did you initially buy Amicus Pro and switched to advance control panel later ?

Are you really going to ship it via DHL? If so, you would have to pay import duty I think.

Reactions: abhay
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I'm still waiting for the new Amicus to be made available here in the UK, but a friend of mine recently leant me his robot so that I could test it out on my table at home. Just for clarity, my friend’s robot is not an Amicus but rather a cheaper Chinese make that I haven’t heard of before. This model has two heads (rather than the three the Amicus has) which regulate topspin and backspin and each wheel has speed settings from 0-9 (0 means the wheel is turned off and 9 is it’s running at its fastest).

After setting it up, I’ve found it difficult to get it to produce a ball that bounces as if it would from a human player. Or in other words, the bounce feels unrealistic. To give you an example, if I want a top-spin ball, I set the speed of the top wheel to say 3 and bottom wheel to 0, the ball just fires into the net. In order to get the ball to go over the net, I have to set the bottom wheel speed to 1. This means that the ball produced has less top-spin on it as the bottom wheel is counter-acting the speed of the top wheel and thus, a more floating ball is produced. Of course, I can turn up the speed of the top wheel to produce more top-spin, but this just makes the balls fire faster at me, rather than producing a slow top-spin shot.

After practicing with this Chinese robot for a weekend, I played a league match the following week and I really struggled to get the ball on the table. I can only put this down to the fact that the robot has been giving me float balls and when I warmed up against a real player, I was over-hitting the ball and my timing was completely out.

I know I’ve waffled a bit, but this does lead me to my question about the Amicus and that is “does the Amicus have a "natural" feel to the balls it produces?”. In other words, does it fire out balls that bounce as if they have been hit by a real person, or is this artificial feeling just part of using a robot?

Many thanks :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Are you really going to ship it via DHL? If so, you would have to pay import duty I think.

That's one of the options bro...

I'm still waiting for the new Amicus to be made available here in the UK, but a friend of mine recently leant me his robot so that I could test it out on my table at home. Just for clarity, my friend’s robot is not an Amicus but rather a cheaper Chinese make that I haven’t heard of before. This model has two heads (rather than the three the Amicus has) which regulate topspin and backspin and each wheel has speed settings from 0-9 (0 means the wheel is turned off and 9 is it’s running at its fastest).

After setting it up, I’ve found it difficult to get it to produce a ball that bounces as if it would from a human player. Or in other words, the bounce feels unrealistic. To give you an example, if I want a top-spin ball, I set the speed of the top wheel to say 3 and bottom wheel to 0, the ball just fires into the net. In order to get the ball to go over the net, I have to set the bottom wheel speed to 1. This means that the ball produced has less top-spin on it as the bottom wheel is counter-acting the speed of the top wheel and thus, a more floating ball is produced. Of course, I can turn up the speed of the top wheel to produce more top-spin, but this just makes the balls fire faster at me, rather than producing a slow top-spin shot.

After practicing with this Chinese robot for a weekend, I played a league match the following week and I really struggled to get the ball on the table. I can only put this down to the fact that the robot has been giving me float balls and when I warmed up against a real player, I was over-hitting the ball and my timing was completely out.

I know I’ve waffled a bit, but this does lead me to my question about the Amicus and that is “does the Amicus have a "natural" feel to the balls it produces?”. In other words, does it fire out balls that bounce as if they have been hit by a real person, or is this artificial feeling just part of using a robot?

Many thanks :)

Interesting! Thanks for sharing..... I haven't played with a robot so far, I am having same

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I posted on another TT forum, but thought I’d come back here to respond as well.

I’ve been speaking with a few people that have used both the robot I am currently borrowing from a friend and some more expensive robots (Amicus 3000, etc).

The comments I’ve received suggest that the robot I am borrowing (which is a Super Master model) does not produce a realistic ball that you would get from a real opponent. This is because the ball produced is delivered with a low, flat arc and the topspin produced is too low in trajectory. In comparison to the older Amicus 3000, they commented that the ball delivery with this was much more natural, with the ball bouncing with a far more normal arc, speed and spin that could be easily setup to be very much like a real game.

Therefore I’m confident that I am not going to have the problems I mentioned above with the new Amicus robots now on the market. All I need to do now is wait for them to be made available in the UK :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Just thought I'd update this thread. I enquired as to the price of the Amicus Advance in the UK and it's £1100.

I'm not sure of the prices for the Basic and the Professional, as I didn't ask, but at least this robot is available to order now. Once I get around to ordering mine, I'll let you know how it performs :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011

Hi,

1. I will take photos of the robot today and post them here. Video will be hard to make as i'm not sure how to explain all the features....
2. I don't remove it very often but i think it will take something like 3-4 minutes after you get a little experience with it.
3. It's a big package, you will pay big tax fee i think. I guess it will be ok if he will pack it right.
4. It's pretty much limited to what drills you can think of. The robot is offering me a lot, the problem is that because i already practice 3-4 times a week in the club i don't really have time to practice with it.

And yes, I bought Amicus pro and then upgraded the console.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
As promised, I've uploaded photos of the Amicus Pro robot with Advanced or "Bat" console. The reason It has "Bat" on my console is because i bought it from the developer a while ago and the name was suppose to be "Bat" but until they released it they have changed the name to Advanced.

I've uploaded it to my friend website as it was easier for me to upload the photos to there: Amicus Bat

I also made a video that shows the robot abilities with the new console. It's here:
I took the video in hd mode but somewhat youtube decreased it's quality.

It took me 2 hours to do all this (taking the photos, video, write small descriptions, uploading everything - the video is 545mb!) so please appreciate it.

If you have any questions or if something is unclear let me know and i'll try my best to help.