New "Rules" for Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Most pros serve at the borderline for sure. The rules for serving is for hiding the ball, not the blade. You can hide the blade as much as you want to except during contact. So what most good servers do is to hide the blade at most of the time except during ball contact.

Pros are trained to serve border line (I know, because I used to serve 5-7 hours a week, for years).
Umpires ARE NOT trained on serving and I'm not sure if they do get they eyes tested before every tournament (without technology and only on the naked eye, is actually unfair for umpires in this technology age)

Its not just the contact, but also the angle of the toss (backward).

Reactions: blahness
Most pros serve at the borderline for sure. The rules for serving is for hiding the ball, not the blade. You can hide the blade as much as you want to except during contact. So what most good servers do is to hide the blade at most of the time except during ball contact.
I'm not talking about whether or not to hide. Overall find this to be quite good. Little to no reprimands for this by the referee as well.

Pros are trained to serve border line (I know, because I used to serve 5-7 hours a week, for years).
Umpires ARE NOT trained on serving and I'm not sure if they do get they eyes tested before every tournament (without technology and only on the naked eye, is actually unfair for umpires in this technology age)

Its not just the contact, but also the angle of the toss (backward).
Well yes, I have now seen many matches of the gentlemen. Referees have indicated several times that the throwing should not be given backwards.
As far as I know I can still see reasonably well, but what I've seen in the last week is unbelievable. Not a single time, but not a single time, was there a reprimand for serving above the table. And don't say that the top players look for the borderline. I can name them all (and they are not many) that each service from behind their borderline server. I can also name ten players who occasionally or even frequently serve above the table. You shouldn't be blind to that.
To be honest, I see Lim JH (and that's not because I have anything against Lim, far from it, top player) giving next to no valid service.

The referee over him must indicate this, but that never happened! It's a shame because this narrows the playing field drastically!
It's about time that there was some kind of eagle eye at the level of the borderlines. If it could have been placed in Xinxiang last week and linked to a buzzer, you would hear something!
The top players would be amazed at the musical effect they create with that buzzer! 🤣

Top players and referees should be ashamed!
It takes us from the beautiful sport of table tennis to the game that is played in a back room of the local cafe / bar and bears the name ping pong.

Am I really the only one here who doesn't like these illegal services?

This user has no status.
Well yes, I have now seen many matches of the gentlemen. Referees have indicated several times that the throwing should not be given backwards.
As far as I know I can still see reasonably well, but what I've seen in the last week is unbelievable. Not a single time, but not a single time, was there a reprimand for serving above the table. And don't say that the top players look for the borderline. I can name them all (and they are not many) that each service from behind their borderline server. I can also name ten players who occasionally or even frequently serve above the table. You shouldn't be blind to that.
To be honest, I see Lim JH (and that's not because I have anything against Lim, far from it, top player) giving next to no valid service.

The referee over him must indicate this, but that never happened! It's a shame because this narrows the playing field drastically!
It's about time that there was some kind of eagle eye at the level of the borderlines. If it could have been placed in Xinxiang last week and linked to a buzzer, you would hear something!
The top players would be amazed at the musical effect they create with that buzzer! 🤣

Top players and referees should be ashamed!
It takes us from the beautiful sport of table tennis to the game that is played in a back room of the local cafe / bar and bears the name ping pong.

Am I really the only one here who doesn't like these illegal services?
Are you sure he served it inside the table? I think it's borderline, but there were a lot of calls on serving within the end line this tournament (even LJK got called) ie they were watching it like a hawk, but Lim was not called out.

Also backwards throw is allowed up to an angle of 30 deg.

Are you sure he served it inside the table? I think it's borderline, but there were a lot of calls on serving within the end line this tournament (even LJK got called) ie they were watching it like a hawk, but Lim was not called out.

Also backwards throw is allowed up to an angle of 30 deg.
I think we saw most of the male and a few female matches last week and the umpires regularly pointed out the ball out but rarely for the over table serve.

When Lim JH serves, he does it from the side of the table in 90% of the cases. In this service, his point of contact with the ball is always above the table. However, it is forbidden, precisely because it narrows the playing field and gains from the first ball and can score a point more easily on their third ball.

Just look at it, it is easily observable. And Lim is certainly not the only one, but clearly with him!
He can hear that from me, (although it is illegal) but then you should not provide training to referees who do not report this anyway.

This user has no status.
I think we saw most of the male and a few female matches last week and the umpires regularly pointed out the ball out but rarely for the over table serve.

When Lim JH serves, he does it from the side of the table in 90% of the cases. In this service, his point of contact with the ball is always above the table. However, it is forbidden, precisely because it narrows the playing field and gains from the first ball and can score a point more easily on their third ball.

Just look at it, it is easily observable. And Lim is certainly not the only one, but clearly with him!
He can hear that from me, (although it is illegal) but then you should not provide training to referees who do not report this anyway.
You can serve from the side of the table as long as the contact point stays outside the end lines still. What is not allowed is serving from inside the end line. At least that's my understanding of the service rules.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
You can serve from the side of the table as long as the contact point stays outside the end lines still. What is not allowed is serving from inside the end line. At least that's my understanding of the service rules.
Indeed, and that just doesn't happen (anymore) in current table tennis!
You can serve almost from wherever you want, as long as the point of contact is not above the table but behind your baseline or its extensions.
Simply rule 2.06.04:
From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by any part of the body or clothing of the server or his doubles partner; as soon as the ball has been projected, the server’s free arm shall be removed from the space between the server’s body and the net.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Ovtcharov's backhand serve from the world championship, the toss is low and then he brings his racket up to hit the ball. the serve is balantly illegal. I think in one match he was warned but a point was never taken away.

Now, do I think that he is gaining a lot of advantage from that? Probably not. But I am surprised that the opposing player(s) do not point that out and mess up Ovtcharov's rhythm. I am scratching my head looking at the serve.

In the Olympic, Ovtcharov's forehand serve was tossed, like, with 45 degree angle. It was like he toss the serve in the middle of the table and then he runs to his right side of the table to meet the ball. He was warned during the Olympic.

It just amazes me that a pro player cannot even serve right. I mean, yes, they are trying to gain an advantage but the opposing players and the refs need to do something about it. I know the players can serve the right way but it is getting ridiculous.