Nittaku Acoustic vs Septear vs Xiom HAL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Has anyone played both the Nittaku Acoustic and Septear and could compare these blades in terms of control, feel, speed, sweet spot, dwell?
Is indeed the feel and control of the Acoustic as exceptional as people often write? The hinoki is also often said to provide great feel, but if you suggest the ratings on Revspin, the Acoustic's control is rated quite a lot higher by people. I'm intrigued by Kiso hinoki, unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to play with any blade made of hinoki and probably don't know anyone who plays hinoki to see for myself if it suits me.
By the way the Acoustic is quite a lot more expensive than the Septear which surprises me a bit, since the Septear is 7 ply Kiso hinoki which is written about everywhere as being an expensive rare wood, while the Acoustic is just a 5ply all-wood construction. So logically it would seem that Acoustic should be cheaper, I wonder if there is actually some exceptional quality of the wood and glue used behind the price, or if the hype that has been around for a long time is more influencing the price.

One other blade I'm considering is the Xiom Hugo Calderano HAL, which also gets great reviews.
Perhaps someone has played Acoustic/Septear and HAL and would be able to describe the differences?
I think all the above blades are similar in terms of speed, offensive but not crazy fast what I like.

I am particularly keen on an offensive blade especially for FH/BH topspin play (close and middle distance looping) and BH block, characterised in particular by the best possible control and a nice rather soft feel (yes, I know, it's heavily subjective...).

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
i can only try to compare the Acoustic vs the HAL and the later is a total different category of speed. Using the same technique in loops the HAL will produce lower arc and make the ball fly closer to the end of the table or even overshoot it. I would recommend the Acoustic, if you are ok with the (relatively thin) handle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
i can only try to compare the Acoustic vs the HAL and the later is a total different category of speed. Using the same technique in loops the HAL will produce lower arc and make the ball fly closer to the end of the table or even overshoot it. I would recommend the Acoustic, if you are ok with the (relatively thin) handle.
Thanks! Acoustic now is made in 3 versions of handle size, so there is no problem with thin handle anymore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
SG and LG Versions still have a slimmer with than w968 for instance
Did you play with both Acoustic and w968? Could you compare the two in terms of FH feel? I like acoustic's FH very much with boosted Chinese rubbers, but I would certainly like more speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2023
Did you play with both Acoustic and w968? Could you compare the two in terms of FH feel? I like acoustic's FH very much with boosted Chinese rubbers, but I would certainly like more speed.

ive played w/ both, 986 is def faster. Accoustic has more flex (986's now got harder) Accoustic reg handles are tiny, 986 handles arent that much fatter at the neck but get wide at the bottom. The Accoustic w/ hard rubber and good technique loops really nice and is probably strong enough for most players, unless ur always playing way far back, esp if you have a heavier one. Also, accoustic normal size handle ST is big enough for most people, way thicker at the neck. Hope that helps you. Used accoustics are way cheaper than 986's too lol.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I tried LG handle and didnt feel much difference compare to regular
LG is much larger than the regular FL. In fact it's one of the largest if not the largest handle I have ever tried. It was so large I sold it eventually. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have really large hands. Someone wrote here it's like a chair leg, and I agree.
SG Special is somewhere in the middle, but closer to LG than to reg FL. Perfect size and balance to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Used accoustics are way cheaper than 986's too lol.
Acoustics also do not have any problems with the glue used for the manufacturing, unlike with 986 which is the reason why a 986 loses its unique qualities in a year or so, and top players need to change their 986 regularly. Quite a bugger considering the price.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
That
Acoustics also do not have any problems with the glue used for the manufacturing, unlike with 986 which is the reason why a 986 loses its unique qualities in a year or so, and top players need to change their 986 regularly. Quite a bugger considering the price.
That is the first time I hear about this issue. Do you have a source?