Nittaku Gyo-En Review

says On a never ending EJ journey
says On a never ending EJ journey
Jun 2023
Hi all, back here today with a review on the Nittaku Gyo-en since I haven't seen anyone review this blade yet. I’ve been using this blade for a bit and finally have a more definitive opinion on it.

Blade stats:
85 g, FL
FH: Loki Arthur China
BH: Loki Arthur Asia

(don’t judge me on the rubbers; wanted to test out the Loki rubbers because of the recent forum posts about Loki rubbers and equipment. Very quick side note: also bought a Loki Honor ALC – Amazing blade, may write a review on that later).

This blade is Nittaku’s take on an outer layer carbon blade and sibling to the NIttaku So-ten, an oversized innerfiber carbon blade. These two blades are part of their Irodori series – something to do with being colorful IIRC. Both blades use a material called KVC (Kevlar); feels more like ALC than ZLC to me.

The good:
This blade and its sibling are beautiful. The build quality of this blade is immaculate, as expected from NIttaku. Blade finish is perfect and there’s no stray carbon fibers / splintering issue. The blade is well-balanced and feels very comfortable in the hand.
Feels pretty controllable; balls weren’t flying everywhere and landed more-or-less on the table.

The bad:
To be blunt; I hate this blade. I first tried playing this thing with Nittaku Fastarc G1 Max and Yasaka Rakza Z and the entire setup just felt dead. I thought there was something wrong with the rubbers at first so I put the rubbers on the Loki Honor ALC and it played beautifully. That setup was lively and well controlled.

I then put on the LAC and LAA rubbers on this setup and it was slightly better; at least it was playable this time. LAC felt like a boosted very less tacky version of H3N – extremely low throw angle and very fast. LAA was just an average rubber – not too tacky and the feeling was just whatever.

The blade, however, just feels wrong. In short, IT RATTLES! I simply don’t know how to describe it besides saying that it rattles. It legit feels like there’s some metal screws or nuts in the wood and on low-medium power shots. On high power shots, the feeling somewhat goes away but is still there. I’ve never felt this sensation in any other blade. The So-ten also exhibits this feeling, but to a much less degree – probably dampened to the inner carbon layout. The problem with the rattling is that it was just very distracting. I could understand if the vibrations were meant for a better feeling and control to the blade, but this was not the case at all. It was just very distracting.

In short, would not recommend this blade. For a similar price, just get a Viscaria or a FZD ALC. This Irodori series from Nittaku was a dud for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
The blade, however, just feels wrong. In short, IT RATTLES! I simply don’t know how to describe it besides saying that it rattles. It legit feels like there’s some metal screws or nuts in the wood and on low-medium power shots. On high power shots, the feeling somewhat goes away but is still there. I’ve never felt this sensation in any other blade. The So-ten also exhibits this feeling, but to a much less degree – probably dampened to the inner carbon layout. The problem with the rattling is that it was just very distracting. I could understand if the vibrations were meant for a better feeling and control to the blade, but this was not the case at all. It was just very distracting.

In short, would not recommend this blade. For a similar price, just get a Viscaria or a FZD ALC. This Irodori series from Nittaku was a dud for me.
Could it be possible there was a manufacturing defect or variation? Can anyone else chime in with a similar experience with the blade? I'd send it back to the retailer for inspection if it were me. There could be some sort of crack in the blade.

Same composition as FZD ALC. My FZD ALC has no vibrations.
Sometimes blades made of the same material and even the same model can feel completely different. I've had 3 Timo Boll Spirits. The first one was amazing and perfect. I tried to buy a backup and after two attempts I gave up. The second two felt much sharper and stiffer than the first one. I'd still be playing with that first one if I hadn't broken it.