Only edge of rubber oxyidyzing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
IMG_20240226_205211.jpg

I notice on this rubber, only the top right egde of the rubber seems to be turning grey and oxidyzing? Why would this happen?

Reactions: pingpongsuper
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
View attachment 28559

I notice on this rubber, only the top right egde of the rubber seems to be turning grey and oxidyzing? Why would this happen?

If that is your FH rubber and you are pushing with your BH and the edge of the racket/rubber touches the table, you might find that kind of wear at the edge.

I am not sure that is what the wear is from. But that looks like topsheet wear from abrasion, not oxidation from exposure to the air (oxygen).

Oxidation can look like nothing but the rubber is more brittle (less elastic) and less grippy. Oxidation could happen in an area on the rubber that has experienced more abrasive wear. But it would be more likely that, in areas of high abrasion, the rubber that has been worn off would be the rubber that was exposed to oxygen. The rubber underneath that is now exposed would likely have less oxidation than the rubber that has worn off the topsheet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
If that is your FH rubber and you are pushing with your BH and the edge of the racket/rubber touches the table, you might find that kind of wear at the edge.

I am not sure that is what the wear is from. But that looks like topsheet wear from abrasion, not oxidation from exposure to the air (oxygen).

Oxidation can look like nothing but the rubber is more brittle (less elastic) and less grippy. Oxidation could happen in an area on the rubber that has experienced more abrasive wear. But it would be more likely that, in areas of high abrasion, the rubber that has been worn off would be the rubber that was exposed to oxygen. The rubber underneath that is now exposed would likely have less oxidation than the rubber that has worn off the topsheet.
I'm pretty sure the edge of the rubber isn't touching anything. There is even a pad on that edge prevent it from touching the table.

And the black side is my bh rubber.

Is it Hurricane 3?
It happened to all my hurricanes (using since last 10-12 years)

Also seen in some tacky Chinese rubbers.

Don't know what it is and why it happens. (surly not by touching the table as i never used these rubbers on backhand and the color change is uniform at edge)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm pretty sure the edge of the rubber isn't touching anything. There is even a pad on that edge prevent it from touching the table.

And the black side is my bh rubber.

Okay. That could be from any number of things.

Can you show a photo of the whole rubber? Also the other side?

A pad on the side (edge) preventing the edge from touching the table will not prevent the rubber from touching the table if the black rubber is facing down. But, if that is your BH rubber, it is less likely to happen on a FH push.

Any chance it is what you are carrying the racket in when you go to and from wherever you play?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Okay. That could be from any number of things.

Can you show a photo of the whole rubber? Also the other side?

A pad on the side (edge) preventing the edge from touching the table will not prevent the rubber from touching the table if the black rubber is facing down. But, if that is your BH rubber, it is less likely to happen on a FH push.

Any chance it is what you are carrying the racket in when you go to and from wherever you play?
I actually had this rubber in a ziploc bag for a week with a film over the rubber.

I had one thought that maybe the foam pad on the edge is pushing against the rubber and causing it to turn color...but the pad doesn't really seem strong enough to do that.

Another thought I had is maybe I accidentally had the film not covering the entire rubber and leaving just that edge uncovered. While leaving it in the ziploc for a week, would that cause the strange greyish color?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I think it happened because film doesn't fully cover the top sheet. Around the edges of the racket there might be high spots. Like in the photo
I didn't realize film was so important for rubbers. Most of my rubbers I just leave in the racket case or in the ziploc without a film cover.

I don't see anything bad happening to the rubber.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Often the edges of the rubbers seem to "bend" a little bit down and then loose of course contact with the clear film cover. It is then that I observe these greyish strips along the edges.
I didn't realize film was so important for rubbers.

Oh but they are. The clear films not only are protecting the stickiness, they actually seem to enhance it. the longer you leave it on the stickier the rubbers seem to get.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Oh it happens to me all the time, for me it's the glue spilling over to the edge of the rubber. I re-glue my rubbers fairly often as I seal my blades and they become detached pretty easily. You can remove the glue after it dries but the solvent still does something to the top sheet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
after sealing your blades, do you very lightly block-sand them to brake the possible gloss ?
Yup, I usually use 1000 grit for the whole blade, then ~300 grit for the edge. It doesn't detach spontaneously or anything, but give it enough time you're bound to rub the edge of the blade on something and then it detaches. I get lazy about re-gluing sometimes and just let it go until it becomes too significant.

Reactions: lodro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

If you look at those lines going in towards the center of your blade from the edge where you see that wear, that pattern also makes it seem like that is from the rubber, at that side, has been in contact with something while moving. Those look like wear marks. If the black is your BH rubber, I don't really have an answer for you.

But, when you are holding your racket as if to take a shot on FH or BH, is the side with that wear the side of the blade face that is closer to the ground or is that the side of the blade face that is pointing up towards the ceiling? I think that is the side that is closer to the ground. Right?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
would that cause the strange greyish color?

But, when you are holding your racket as if to take a shot on FH or BH, is the side with that wear the side of the blade face that is closer to the ground or is that the side of the blade face that is pointing up towards the ceiling? I think that is the side that is closer to the ground. Right?

So, is the side of the racket with the worn edge rubber the side that is closer to the ground when you hold the racket for a FH or BH stroke or is it closer to the ceiling?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
So, is the side of the racket with the worn edge rubber the side that is closer to the ground when you hold the racket for a FH or BH stroke or is it closer to the ceiling?
The worn edge is closer to the ground. But the wearing edge goes from the side of the racket all the way to the head/top of the racket.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl