Par Gerell's Serves vs TableTennisDaily's Dan!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Okay, here is the thing , and i don't mean to boast or belittle Par Gerell , but i had a friend who could do serves pretty similar to this and he reached USATT 2200 and could have done way better if he could keep his cool on the table and be open to take a little coaching to fix his backhand unstability.

The thing is it gets to your head . I can bet that if Dan tried to return 10 serves again and all of them were with visible contact he would do worse than the first time , because after a while you start second guessing your own decision . And , the extreme side spin hides the top/under so well its practically impossible to tell unless you are very good at reading from the bounce and that too the second one ... what I have seen people successfully do is to play with extreme loose hands adjusting the angle at the very last moment .. whether you take it off the bounce or loop it light after letting it drop ... now god save you from the one that is kicking away from the righty's forehand , you would need very good footwork to keep following it and take it late and by the time you make it back you are essentially completely out of position for the third ball attack which could end up being a simple backhand down the line block ... essentially you pretty much cannot read the serve from the contact ... now is it hidden , yes this one is hidden . And pretty much every body who serves this serve ends up with a few that gets hidden, especially if its a opposite combination , lefty to righty etc. But what can you do ? I had asked this of one of the top coaches and the only solution he could give was to cheat on the footwork and try to get a glimpse of the contact ... unless ITTF decides to position additional umpires at the diagonals , there is no way you can fight this ...

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
great server. He generates unexpected amount of spin with his motion. And his motion is also really deceptive. But his serves are hard to read for the pros mostly because the contact is hidden. They will have less trouble reading spin if he doesn't hide the contact.
I believe if ZJK or Ma Long hide the contact with their arm, their serves can be as hard to read as Par Gerell's serves.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Dan.what happened to my comment?i was right and not inculuded.
Uh oh, looks like the Goon Squad did a pre-emptive strike.

I better look out before they get on my case. I never knew Goon Squad could suddenly get this capability !!

Carl, did you leave one of you high speed phone on the table in the cafe and faked the funk on your monthly inventory check ??!!!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Huh? Where's the ball? Magic!
View attachment 11514

I'm on my cell phone. I am going to have to check from a bigger screen but I think I see the ball. To me, from this, it looks to me like it is half hidden but not fully hidden and it is behind his shoulder right about where the Yellow and Blue in his shirt meet. If that is the case, this is not quite hidden.

But, again, I am on a cell phone so I could be wrong.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Dan, I have one question. What did I do wrong with my comment :D ? "Last time 3 was my lucky number, so lets go with 2 this time". Comment number 18 here:https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/...in-a-STIGA-Carbonado-190-signed-by-Par-Gerell! I was not included in the draw :/

You confused Dan with too many numbers. I think he thought your guess was 32.

But, as Der_Echte has already said, the goon squad is afoot and there was a top secret NSA SpyPhone slipped onto a table near Dan's work station that sent out signals and deleted entries that seemed likely to win the random selection.

So Vrael and Vik got muscled out by some slick hacking function built into the latest version of the SpyPhone which also confounded Dan into missing the glitch when he proofed the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm on my cell phone. I am going to have to check from a bigger screen but I think I see the ball. To me, from this, it looks to me like it is half hidden but not fully hidden and it is behind his shoulder right about where the Yellow and Blue in his shirt meet. If that is the case, this is not quite hidden.

But, again, I am on a cell phone so I could be wrong.

Well, I checked from my home computer. I can see the ball. It is not hidden in that photo. And it is where I already said it was. If I could see it from my cell phone, then Dan should have been able to see it.

This user has no status.
The ball is there from the camera angle for sure. We are getting another 15-20 degrees on the view compared to Dan. I've played a lefty guy who serves exactly like this and I just stand way more to the right to see the contact.
They all seem about 1/2 hidden at shoulder level from the camera.
par.jpg
The other super difficult thing about returning these types of serves is that you have no clue what his wrist or forearm is doing because his back is facing you and blocking the action.

Reactions: sanavasaraja
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You confused Dan with too many numbers. I think he thought your guess was 32.

But, as Der_Echte has already said, the goon squad is afoot and there was a top secret NSA SpyPhone slipped onto a table near Dan's work station that sent out signals and deleted entries that seemed likely to win the random selection.

So Vrael and Vik got muscled out by some slick hacking function built into the latest version of the SpyPhone which also confounded Dan into missing the glitch when he proofed the list.

Carl, good to hear you had a plan to recover the sensitive property after all, imagine what LULZ could happen if even ONE of your phones got into the wrong hands !!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
His serves are clearly hidden but nearly all pros hide their serves with different body parts.

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
He lost many points in the latest Sweden Open because of his serves being illegal. You can watch his match which got him out of the open against Allegro Martin (WR 206).
Interesting....Good and brave referees . hat down ... and Par was lucky only this few have been called ....He is still forgetting his throwing hand.
here is the match ....
What is more interesting for me is how relatively passive they are playing compared to Chinese aggressive stile ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
The ball is there from the camera angle for sure. We are getting another 15-20 degrees on the view compared to Dan. I've played a lefty guy who serves exactly like this and I just stand way more to the right to see the contact.
They all seem about 1/2 hidden at shoulder level from the camera.
View attachment 11529
The other super difficult thing about returning these types of serves is that you have no clue what his wrist or forearm is doing because his back is facing you and blocking the action.

I don't see the problem. The ball is right there under the table on the right side.