Penhold bat recommendation

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I want to playing again and am looking for a premade bat to see if I should switch back to penhold grip. I have some training experience, so I am not a total beginner. I found DHS A4006 on amazon for £15.99, would that be suitable for me, if not, what else should I look at?
Thanks

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I will take a look at yasaka malin, thanks. That blade doesn't come with any rubber, and I don't want to spend too much on a bat if I am testing the grip out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I will take a look at yasaka malin, thanks. That blade doesn't come with any rubber, and I don't want to spend too much on a bat if I am testing the grip out.
£15 is a bit tight to get a blade + rubbers. You can see if anyone can lend you a penhold racket to try out

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016
£15 is a bit tight to get a blade + rubbers. You can see if anyone can lend you a penhold racket to try out

I want to spend around £30-40, and that DHS is the brand that I've heard of when I played - that's why I picked that particular one.
I am unsure if buying a blade + rubber would be suitable for me because I have to work on my technique and find my style of play again, so I thought a permade bat would be ideal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I want to spend around £30-40, and that DHS is the brand that I've heard of when I played - that's why I picked that particular one.
I am unsure if buying a blade + rubber would be suitable for me because I have to work on my technique and find my style of play again, so I thought a permade bat would be ideal.
Not really. You can get a Yasaka Extra Offensivel + 2 sheets of 729-08 or H3 + 729-08.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. What Liten said is pretty useful. He plays penhold but uses a shakehand blade.

To start out, you could do that. If after a week or two you KNOW you want to be penhold, then you can order any setup you want.

Also, as Kelpo already mentioned, colestt.com is a pretty good option for finding inexpensive but good equipment. You could also see if you can find equipment like what Cole carries from nearer to home.

A Yinhe/Galaxy 896 blade is $16.00. There are plenty of rubbers for $14.00 or under. Dawei 2008XP is pretty good and it costs $8.00, $7.00 if you get it as part of a combination.

$16.00 + $7.00 + $7.00 = $30.00

And that would be a pretty good racket.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Last edited:

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thank you very much. Does the thickness of the rubber make a difference? I want to start learning RBH and read that a softer rubber might be better for BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Thank you very much. Does the thickness of the rubber make a difference? I want to start learning RBH and read that a softer rubber might be better for BH.
I'm a penholder myself. I do RPB close to mid table. Yes a soft one would give you better control. If you have a small budget, try Friendship/729 Snipe 3 only $15. Great control and light. But you need a medium stiff blade.

More premium BH rubber- R7 soft, Andro ransant beat, Donic F3. these are all quite light and have better spin than Snipe 3.

The key is to not use your wrist too much which is what Wang Hao said in his instrumental video (on YouTube).

Reactions: mky
This user has no status.
If you want to just try it do you have a rount ST handle like a donic or a butterfly or a very thin rounded flare like a HL3, they all are quite comfy minus the sanding needed on all penhold bats to try it out, i've played many games pen with a round st handle, squared handles are a bit of an issue for me as i dont find them comfy, its the cheapest way to try it

Reactions: mky
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
For cost saving, go with a Yinhe N9 or N10 Cpen blade - they are very good allround / offensive wood blades
add them to the USD7 rubbers and you have a really decent setup to start with
Mind you, with the same blade, you get just add tensors rubbers in the later stage then Bob's your uncle.

Also note, you need to sand (paper) your grip

Reactions: Paccheco