psychological help needed for someone starting with team games.

This user has no status.
Hey,

i am fairly new to the game as a team. I would say my play overall is pretty good since i started playing when i was like 11, but i stopped playing for 8 years now and got into a club again who put me into a team already.

Whenever i play though i can convert nothing from my training. Like not even basics. I just stand there frozen and fearful of playing the ball, leading to bad decisions and even worse touches.

( for context: i lost 13/13 games this season against people who are objectively " way worse" than me )

So here is my question: How where you doing psychologially when you started and how did you improve that ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Simple answer ( imo) :
2 main differences between training and competitive matches is this:
1. Higher level of stress in mind and body during matches compared to training
2. Different thought processes, goals and values during the match

Stress is a complex phenomenon but this should help you get an idea of it.

Simple steps towards solution:
Regarding stress:

- increase intensity and competitive mindset during training ( training with higher stress)

- lower stress using techniques, phrases, reminder or things to calm your nerves during the game and bring you into the moment and a calmer state of mind ( playing with lower stress )
( Visualization, Cues and reminders about your goals, Conscious deep breathing, some movement shaking it off. etc. ...)

- In the long term,
figure out the root cause of what is stressing you, and learn to deal with that
The fear of losing is just the most prominent in the moment, but its not what you actually fear
you wont die or feel a massive pain by losing the match, you wont become homeless and your loved ones will not leave and hate you, you are not in an immediate danger or threat during a match ( i hope so at least)
find out what is on the deep side of it and deal with it,
In the end it will be something that, on a subconscious level, threatens your inner value, and your body goes into alarm mode to fight that danger.

1 wide spread issue is FOPO ( fear of other peoples opinion)
In short words:
You value other peoples opinion and their expectation of you, and if they dont see you as "valuable", or YOU think they think like that
-> your body goes in alarm mode to fight that -> you play bad and get into a downward spiral of playing worse and worse

Once you find the root cause, figure out your goals and values that will maek
It is a difficult and long process to really deal with that, it appears throughout your whole life and takes some effort to get a hang of it.

2. You can think differently during training and in the match.
1. For a movement or technique to really stick with you so much that you can use it in a match takes time, effort and deliberate practice, once you can train the movement ( for example forehand on underspin) with the intention to play the ball in a certain way and not to do the movement itself ( like multiball ) and then do it consistently at least 9/10 times, you get confidence, ability and a mindset which enables your match gameplay to improve and match your training

Also practice intensely and deliberately, make hitting a shot more important than it actually is, make your mind and body get closer to a competitive state

2. In a match, Dont try to win, try to play well, point by point, moment by moment
set simple, achievable goals that you feel confident in achieving
Try to learn something from every match,
dont identify with how you perform

TLDR:
Lower match stress,
increase training intensity
Find the root cause of whats stressing you out, set your (life and TT) goals and values accordingly
Dont try to "win" in a match, play point by point and learn

Most importantly, dont lose hope, keep believing and practicing.
Experience will always be your best teacher.

This user has no status.
Simple answer ( imo) :
2 main differences between training and competitive matches is this:
1. Higher level of stress in mind and body during matches compared to training
2. Different thought processes, goals and values during the match

Stress is a complex phenomenon but this should help you get an idea of it.

Simple steps towards solution:
Regarding stress:

- increase intensity and competitive mindset during training ( training with higher stress)

- lower stress using techniques, phrases, reminder or things to calm your nerves during the game and bring you into the moment and a calmer state of mind ( playing with lower stress )
( Visualization, Cues and reminders about your goals, Conscious deep breathing, some movement shaking it off. etc. ...)

- In the long term,
figure out the root cause of what is stressing you, and learn to deal with that
The fear of losing is just the most prominent in the moment, but its not what you actually fear
you wont die or feel a massive pain by losing the match, you wont become homeless and your loved ones will not leave and hate you, you are not in an immediate danger or threat during a match ( i hope so at least)
find out what is on the deep side of it and deal with it,
In the end it will be something that, on a subconscious level, threatens your inner value, and your body goes into alarm mode to fight that danger.

1 wide spread issue is FOPO ( fear of other peoples opinion)
In short words:
You value other peoples opinion and their expectation of you, and if they dont see you as "valuable", or YOU think they think like that
-> your body goes in alarm mode to fight that -> you play bad and get into a downward spiral of playing worse and worse

Once you find the root cause, figure out your goals and values that will maek
It is a difficult and long process to really deal with that, it appears throughout your whole life and takes some effort to get a hang of it.

2. You can think differently during training and in the match.
1. For a movement or technique to really stick with you so much that you can use it in a match takes time, effort and deliberate practice, once you can train the movement ( for example forehand on underspin) with the intention to play the ball in a certain way and not to do the movement itself ( like multiball ) and then do it consistently at least 9/10 times, you get confidence, ability and a mindset which enables your match gameplay to improve and match your training

Also practice intensely and deliberately, make hitting a shot more important than it actually is, make your mind and body get closer to a competitive state

2. In a match, Dont try to win, try to play well, point by point, moment by moment
set simple, achievable goals that you feel confident in achieving
Try to learn something from every match,
dont identify with how you perform

TLDR:
Lower match stress,
increase training intensity
Find the root cause of whats stressing you out, set your (life and TT) goals and values accordingly
Dont try to "win" in a match, play point by point and learn

Most importantly, dont lose hope, keep believing and practicing.
Experience will always be your best teacher.

Thank you really much !

I will try to work on that. Right now i go into every game with the mindset like "this time it will be better" which probably doesnt help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Im not gonna comment too much as its something i really struggle with - taking training form into league and tournaments. So you aren't alone!!!!
My best results are when:
– I try to be as relaxed as possible - not putting to much pressure on myself, which is easy to do in a team scenario as you want to seem like you are contributing to the team performance.
– Have played and trained as much as i can possible (I have a young family so isn't as often as I would like)
– Rather than focusing on the overall game taking each point one at a time. sounds cliché - but games can run away from you - but if you can keep it as tight as possible you always have a chance. (something i didn't do at a tournament at the weekend)
– Try to focus on your good shots rather than bad ones. Its easy to go negative rather than keeping your head up.

Reactions: blahness

Tiz

This user has no status.

Tiz

This user has no status.
Jan 2023
If it's of any consolation, it happens to pros as well. The only mental technique I can suggest is the one proposed in this video by Lee Zi-on, where she says to practice like you're playing a match and play a match like you're training, otherwise even she will freeze up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Been to similar situation and I know, it's not a nice feeling, knowing that perhaps another team mate would have been a better pick for today :(

However, last season, things started to change (from 47% to 71% win rate) for me, I don't think I have improved a lot technically, however the biggest change in my mindset were the following:
  • Not giving up easily, don't be lazy.
  • Reminding myself that I need to win, I have to win.
  • Believing that my opponent is equally afraid of this loss, as I am.
  • Stay positive and enjoy the game (sometimes even laugh inside at some stupid shot I made),
  • Adapt and change tactics, if something is not working.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Hey,

i am fairly new to the game as a team. I would say my play overall is pretty good since i started playing when i was like 11, but i stopped playing for 8 years now and got into a club again who put me into a team already.

Whenever i play though i can convert nothing from my training. Like not even basics. I just stand there frozen and fearful of playing the ball, leading to bad decisions and even worse touches.

( for context: i lost 13/13 games this season against people who are objectively " way worse" than me )

So here is my question: How where you doing psychologially when you started and how did you improve that ?
So I am the type of person who takes the warm up and 1st round (if best of 5, half of 1st round if best of 3) to assess my own physical condition for the day, and my opponent's skill level and weaknesses. Then I go into a state of focus, power loops, and mind blankness. Try to picture yourself, the table, and the ball and nothing else. Picture every time the ball if returned to you by the oppenent in slo-mo. Use you most confident stroke as you would have in training, trust your instinct for ball contact angle and timing. Just go for it. Don't react after a lost ball, or a won ball. Spur yourself on in your head. Stay focused.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
As someone mentioned above, for local league level matches, fear of other people's opinions is a really big thing.

To improve you're going to have to make mistakes, try and treat the match as a training session. I've a hot take that you should ignore any coaching that is focused on grinding out points if it's not actually going to help your game in the long run. I see far to many attacking players getting stuck in a push push contest, you're game and your mentality is not going to level up that way.

Also, record your matches and sit and analyse how it went. I think one session of that will make a dramatic improvement, you'll be able to spot things you didn't even realise you were doing in the heat of a match. Especially as your issue doesn't seem to be ability, it's decision making, maybe make a plan on how to play the first six points and just stick to it no matter what the score is and see if it settles you into a game.

Good Luck and have fun! It's a game and great exercise at the end of the day.