pure topspin hook serve without sidespin

This user has no status.

This ties in amazingly well with a solid hook serve. So the idea is that, often people focus a lot on sidespin pushing on the hook serve which allows them to control the ball reasonably well just by adjusting angles here and there.

However, this version of the hook serve is pure topspin and doesn't have any sidespin for the opponent to control - the ball will end up sky high and most probably a direct mistake out of the table if they do decide to push this.

It is at most a half long serve, you can never get it short because of the topspin. So you in essence force a topspin rally with this serve even if they identify it right. Works very well against people who sidespin push very well.

I tested it on quite a few opponents and often they just completely miss or edge the ball even, because the ball is straight and doesn't curve compared to a conventional sidespin hook serve.

Similar concepts can apply to producing pure underspin and nospin serves (without much sidespin at all) from a hook serve, ie brush the ball on the back first before doing the hook serve aftermotion.

Last edited:
Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
There is a guy in my club who has a nasty one but not off the hook serve. The backspin after fake is great and the ball is slow but heavy. And he has an atomic forehand so if you don't do something really active with it, you lose the point to the 3rd ball. Once in a blue moon, I can loop kill it. The other normal times, I pop it into the sky for a winner. And then he also has a backspin serve that gets free points as well. I hate serve return...

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
There is a guy in my club who has a nasty one but not off the hook serve. The backspin after fake is great and the ball is slow but heavy. And he has an atomic forehand so if you don't do something really active with it, you lose the point to the 3rd ball. Once in a blue moon, I can loop kill it. The other normal times, I pop it into the sky for a winner. And then he also has a backspin serve that gets free points as well. I hate serve return...
How does he do it? Interested to know what the movement looks like.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
How does he do it? Interested to know what the movement looks like.
Going to record the matches some day but it is out a pendulumish sidespin motion. But the topspon ball definitely moves differently but the speed of the motion is hypnotizing and once you push it, he comes in flat if the ball is short so you are pretty much toast.

Reactions: blahness