Question about H3Neo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Do have even a clue as to whom you are calling ignorant? That shows ignorance.
And WTFRU? What have you achieved?

Yes, it is called marketing. The rubber is new and improved! I see this on boxes in the stores all the time.
So? What does that prove? Why doesn't DHS actually test their rubber and publish tangential and normal COR.

Here we go. Should I bite your head off at the ankles?

This has been discussed a few times. This is a topic that zeio and I agree on. There are closed and open cell foam rubbers. The closed cell rubbers are used to make dry suits for diving. Rubbers that have closed cells will not let the booster soak in. The open cell foam rubbers will let the booster soak in but it will also let the gases escape rather quickly.

Define bounciness.
Again, do you fill your tires with sponge?
Think about it.

What does that have to do with anything? Sponge doesn't stretch like rubber bands.

The rubber isn't permeable over a short time with the big molecules of the booster. The sponge may be. So what expands? Explain this to the forum.

I do and i have. In fact one of the last rubbers I tested was H3Neo and it was dead so I trashed it.

Have you tested the COR of H3Neo boosted with baby oil vs non-boosted vs boosted with haifu?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Have you tested the COR of H3Neo boosted with baby oil vs non-boosted vs boosted with haifu?

I would seriously doubt anything @brokenball has to say on this subject, as proven by his previous posts that he doesn't understand the basics of physics and chemistry. But that's just me 😉

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

I would seriously doubt anything @brokenball has to say on this subject, as proven by his previous posts that he doesn't understand the basics of physics and chemistry. But that's just me 😉

Well I really have no idea about chemistry or air bubbles and whatever, thats why a straight test just gives a straight answer. Either the ball bounces from the rubber further/faster or it doesn't.

There are comments all over the internet recommending boosting hard rubbers with baby oil, its hard to imagine that they are all crazy. But I also haven't seen a direct comparison test.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Well I really have no idea about chemistry or air bubbles and whatever, thats why a straight test just gives a straight answer. Either the ball bounces from the rubber further/faster or it doesn't.

There are comments all over the internet recommending boosting hard rubbers with baby oil, its hard to imagine that they are all crazy. But I also haven't seen a direct comparison test.

I would just apply some common sense to this question, if baby oil is as good or even better at boosting, why isn't anyone using it on the Chinese national team? I say CNT because every one there uses either H3 or H3 Neo on the forehand, I'm not sure if any other top 10 professional players uses H3.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

I would just apply some common sense to this question, if baby oil is as good or even better at boosting, why isn't anyone using it in the Chinese national team? I say CNT because every one there uses either H3 or H3 Neo on the forehand, I'm not sure if any other top 10 professional players uses H3.

Of course, nobody is saying baby oil is a better booster than a real booster. But does it provide 20% of the benefit? or how close is it? I would really be curious just to see a definitive test to put the question to rest.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Of course, nobody is saying baby oil is a better booster than a real booster. But does it provide 20% of the benefit? or how close is it? I would really be curious just to see a definitive test to put the question to rest.

Well, I think you should use whatever makes you play better and feel good.

It's really hard to control the variables in this tests you are thinking about, such as: where do you glue the rubbers to; how do you make sure said surface isn't interfering with the test; how do you control how much oil/booster do you apply; how long should you wait for after applying the oil/booster till you run the test; and etc. You'll also need a large enough sample size in order to get a scientific result, not just one person buying two rubbers and comparing them.

That being said, I'm also wondering why you're trying to use baby oil? Is it the cost? Or availability? Ease of application?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Well, I think you should use whatever makes you play better and feel good.

It's really hard to control the variables in this tests you are thinking about, such as: where do you glue the rubbers to; how do you make sure said surface isn't interfering with the test; how do you control how much oil/booster do you apply; how long should you wait for after applying the oil/booster till you run the test; and etc. You'll also need a large enough sample size in order to get a scientific result, not just one person buying two rubbers and comparing them.

That being said, I'm also wondering why you're trying to use baby oil? Is it the cost? Or availability? Ease of application?

Yeah originally I had a few rubbers such as H3 and Target that just were not very bouncy for me. So I read up a little and a lot of people said they use booster. But not knowing how serious of a player I would be, or how often I would boost, and the booster costing more than the rubber itself, I didnt want to go out and buy a booster. I happened to see a youtube video of somebody use baby oil, so I figured I should just try it out since I have it around the house anyways.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Yeah originally I had a few rubbers such as H3 and Target that just were not very bouncy for me. So I read up a little and a lot of people said they use booster. But not knowing how serious of a player I would be, or how often I would boost, and the booster costing more than the rubber itself, I didnt want to go out and buy a booster. I happened to see a youtube video of somebody use baby oil, so I figured I should just try it out since I have it around the house anyways.

Yeah, that's what i thought when I first tried boosting actually, a co-worker said he read about baby oil could be used to boost rubbers, but eventually I decided to buy some actual boosters since I was attending a tech summit in Beijing at the time. That time I bought like six H3 National Blue Sponge, a few bottles of different boosters that were popular, and some other stuff I don't quite remember now. Sometimes I wish I can visit China more often just because these accessories are soooooo much cheaper over there. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

why keep on keepin on about a test ???
Get a bottle of johnsons baby oil and test it yourself.
I have done it and for me it works.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
The national blue sponge h3 was about $80 at the time, I think that's about $10-20 cheaper than the usual price you can find in the states, depending on the retailer.

I think I got a set of DHS umpire stuff (scoreboard, flip coin, red/yellow cards, net gauge), and a few PPW branded blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
The national blue sponge h3 was about $80 at the time, I think that's about $10-20 cheaper than the usual price you can find in the states, depending on the retailer.

I think I got a set of DHS umpire stuff (scoreboard, flip coin, red/yellow cards, net gauge), and a few PPW branded blades.

Wow even umpire gear, you are one really serious TT guy. But you got a lot of really cool gear between your blades, rubbers, boosters.

• Haha
Reactions: DukeGaGa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

I have only test with real speed glue and paraffin oil. I tested paraffin oil because it evaporates but it evaporates too quickly to be useful.
I know that oils do not compress much in a liquid form so they won't store or return much energy.

Also, consider this since no one else has. The oils or speed glue make the rubber heavier. That means when the rubber starts to push the ball back it must not only use its stored potential energy to push the mass of the ball but also the mass of the rubber with booster in it.

Michael, if you are just an intermediate player then H3Neo unboosted will work fine for you. It isn't as fast as the ESN or spring sponge rubbers but the H3Neo will block incoming fast balls much easier than a faster rubber. I would not waste my money on boosting or similar. Stop fooling around. I am 68 and I am not getting any faster. I can tell what a difference speed and conditioning make so work on those items. Equipment isn't as important as skill and there are no short cuts.

I think a YEO,Yasaka Extra Offensive, with H3Neo will work well.

Reactions: Colin Ksh
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Wow even umpire gear, you are one really serious TT guy. But you got a lot of really cool gear between your blades, rubbers, boosters.

Yeah, while I was at a local tournament a few years back, someone mentioned that he was a USATT certified umpire and is heading to Vegas in a few days for the U.S. Open. I got curious and asked him how he got certified. He gave me an email address to contact, and told me it's actually pretty easy to become an official USATT umpire. All I needed was an active USATT membership, and pass the certification exam, which is open book btw. So, I got certified as well lol.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Yeah, while I was at a local tournament a few years back, someone mentioned that he was a USATT certified umpire and is heading to Vegas in a few days for the U.S. Open. I got curious and asked him how he got certified. He gave me an email address to contact, and told me it's actually pretty easy to become an official USATT umpire. All I needed was an active USATT membership, and pass the certification exam, which is open book btw. So, I got certified as well lol.

Now when you lose you can become the umpire of your opponent’s next game and GET YOUR REVENGE
MUA HAHAHAHAHAHA😃

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Yeah, that's what i thought when I first tried boosting actually, a co-worker said he read about baby oil could be used to boost rubbers, but eventually I decided to buy some actual boosters since I was attending a tech summit in Beijing at the time. That time I bought like six H3 National Blue Sponge, a few bottles of different boosters that were popular, and some other stuff I don't quite remember now. Sometimes I wish I can visit China more often just because these accessories are soooooo much cheaper over there. lol

When you use the real booster, does it only work on the dense hard sponge?

Can you use booster on soft, porous, or ESN sponges?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
When you use the real booster, does it only work on the dense hard sponge?

Can you use booster on soft, porous, or ESN sponges?

It depends on what you mean by "work". You can apply booster to whatever rubber you want. Heck, forget about rubbers, you can use it however you want, as long as you don't drink it 🤣

I never thought about using booster on ESN rubbers, nor Tenergy/Dignics, because they're already bouncy enough. The only rubbers I've boosted are H3 blue sponge, and one H8 by request from a friend who wanted to try... and yes, I provide free boosting and glueing services to my friends from work and the club.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Could you use booster on AK47 for example? Its nowhere near as fast as ESN, its soft, and kinda porous too. Its nothing like H3 dense sponge.

Would the booster make AK47 faster?