Returning to TT after 20 yrs, blade/rubber advice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
(Apologies if this is a double post)

I've started playing TT again after 20 yrs away. I started back with a Petr Korbel, T05 FH and T05 FX BH. After a few months I decided the T05 was just too sensitive to incoming spin for me at the moment so I've switched it out for a Glayzer 09C and flipped the bat to use the T05 FX on the FH and the Glayzer 09C on the backhand.

This has helped me win a lot more matches but I feel like I've outgrown it already as my technique and fitness improve. For reference I'd play just under the international level (previously U-21 myself) and face that level in tournaments. The need for more backhand control was due to the high percentage of anti-loop and pimples in the local leagues I've been playing since I've returned. My BH would have been my stronger side in my youth and with todays game I'd love to make use of it more, I'm just not used to the short stroke, near flick, type of technique that is required these days due to the game being a bit faster.

So I'd love some advice on whether I should switch out the Glayzer on the BH so soon for something just below the T05 FX level (T?, Rakza?, ?, ?) or it would be better to switch the blade from all wood to Carbon as the next change? It seems very few higher level players are playing with all wood these days, I think Gauzy was one of the last hold outs and he's now switched.

The equipment has really increased in price and it would be expensive to try out all the great looking options on the market at the moment!

T05FX is too soft for FH, G09C too hard for BH.
Since you already have G09C why not use it on FH and get normal Glazer for BH.

This will be a pretty hard bar but not lightning fast which is good.

For a non tacky rubber my 1:st choice is
FH Tibhar Hybrid MK. For backhand I like normal Glazer, but currently I am using Donic accuda S2.

On FH I like a rubber with not too much catapult, curtently I am using Friendship Bloom power or as a less tacky option DHS H3 provincial. On BH I like a little more catapult, and are undecided about Glazer, Donic S2 an Nittaku Hammond Z2.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: FrenchFrog33
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023

FH Tibhar Hybrid MK. For backhand I like normal Glazer, but currently I am using Donic accuda S2.

On FH I like a rubber with not too much catapult, curtently I am using Friendship Bloom power or as a less tacky option DHS H3 provincial. On BH I like a little more catapult, and are undecided about Glazer, Donic S2 an Nittaku Hammond Z2.

Cheers
L-zr
Thanks, I'm surprised that T05 FX is too soft for FH, it's playing really well at the moment for me. As for G09C being too hard, maybe I'm using the wrong terms or I just haven't used enough of the new equipment but to me it feels soft, not hard. Maybe I'm confusing it with the 'catapult' of the Tenergy 05 and 05 FX, they are my only frame of reference.

I bought the Glayzer 09C to go on my forehand initially, but it was just far too mushy and slow. So that's why I flipped the bat and it's worked better than the previous set up.

I just know the T05 was far to0 sensitive to incoming spin on my FH and the T05 FX is much better both in brushing through incoming spin and all round general play close and far from the table (for me).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
My best setup so far is a Petr Korbel with T05 2.1mm on forehand and T64 1.9mm on backhand. This is what i would recommend with your Korbel.
Thanks, in hindsight maybe I should have tried just flipping the bat if folks are saying T05 is ok for forehand. My backhand technique might just be a lot more solid than my FH returning after so long.

The change to the recent rubbers really brought my % of opening shots up on both wings and led to a much better match win %. I'd prefer to keep the T05 FX on the FH for now and improve the BH setup via a rubber or blade change.

The T64 you suggested sounds like it might be a good (but expensive to trial :) ) option for my BH.

Thanks, in hindsight maybe I should have tried just flipping the bat if folks are saying T05 is ok for forehand. My backhand technique might just be a lot more solid than my FH returning after so long.

The change to the recent rubbers really brought my % of opening shots up on both wings and led to a much better match win %. I'd prefer to keep the T05 FX on the FH for now and improve the BH setup via a rubber or blade change.

The T64 you suggested sounds like it might be a good (but expensive to trial :) ) option for my BH.
Well T05 is great for the offensive game but… in the slow game it’s a walk on a razors edge. It use win me a few points but I lost more…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: BHSlap
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I use the semi-tacky Yinhe - Big Dipper on backhand to get most grip possible and still retain control. For someone with really good backhand technique, this is also a great attacking rubber. And it's less expensive as well.

Other rubbers with good backhand potential is 729 - Presto Max Spin/Speed and Sanwei - Gear Hyper. These are more like the normal Euro/Jap rubbers, but more linear. Presto has a more softer feel than Gear Hyper. A bit more expensive, but really great rubbers.

Pimplepark - Epos is a nice, tacky, soft and has a mild catapult. Also more controllable than most Tenergy/Dignics/Glayzer rubbers. Only available up to 1.9mm sponge though. Also good price...

But there are a lot of rubbers to choose from nowadays :)

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews

Cheers
L-zr
Timo used t05 on fh and d05 on bh for a while, hardness doesn't matter as long as you feel comfortable with it.

This user has no status.
Seeing you appreciate the Glayzer 09C on the BH, I'd suggest a more advance hybrid rubber on you BH. Hybrid MK, Stiga DNA Hybrid M, Rasanter C45/C48 come to mind, maybe explore some Chinese options.

As for your forehand, try any of the rubbers I suggested previously, but harder. Hybrid MK Pro, DNA Hybrid H/XH, Rasanter C53, or any 40/41 hardness Chinese option.

If you don't mind experimenting and trying out several options, going Chinese can be fun and not break the bank while your at it. Go with a Bloom Power 47 on your forehand and Bloom Power 45/Big Dipper 38 or any DHS 37 degree option that seems to your liking and you have a good setup, for roughly the price of one Euro-style sheet.

Thanks, I'm surprised that T05 FX is too soft for FH, it's playing really well at the moment for me. As for G09C being too hard, maybe I'm using the wrong terms or I just haven't used enough of the new equipment but to me it feels soft, not hard. Maybe I'm confusing it with the 'catapult' of the Tenergy 05 and 05 FX, they are my only frame of reference.

I bought the Glayzer 09C to go on my forehand initially, but it was just far too mushy and slow. So that's why I flipped the bat and it's worked better than the previous set up.

I just know the T05 was far to0 sensitive to incoming spin on my FH and the T05 FX is much better both in brushing through incoming spin and all round general play close and far from the table (for me).
Sonething is wrong here. If anything T05FX is mushy, G09C definitely not. But it is a lot slower that’s true.

What will happen is that T05FH will make you hit long. This will make you hesitate so your progress slows down. G09C will force You to hit harder, This way you will hesitate less and you will a get a better stroke. On BH you can not hit so hard anyway so it matters a lot less.
And use as hard rubbers as possible because they are less reactive on slow shots…

The one thing with Tenergy that I miss is the sensation of firing cannon balls from position 2 and 3, but it cost me more than earn. I play since summer with a slow rubber on FH and I am much mire consistent, not so many kill shots but I win more points.

Cheers
L-zr

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Seeing you appreciate the Glayzer 09C on the BH, I'd suggest a more advance hybrid rubber on you BH. Hybrid MK, Stiga DNA Hybrid M, Rasanter C45/C48 come to mind, maybe explore some Chinese options.

As for your forehand, try any of the rubbers I suggested previously, but harder. Hybrid MK Pro, DNA Hybrid H/XH, Rasanter C53, or any 40/41 hardness Chinese option.

If you don't mind experimenting and trying out several options, going Chinese can be fun and not break the bank while your at it. Go with a Bloom Power 47 on your forehand and Bloom Power 45/Big Dipper 38 or any DHS 37 degree option that seems to your liking and you have a good setup, for roughly the price of one Euro-style sheet.
Hybrid MK is non tacky. NEO Hurricane 3 37 is very good, also Hurricane 8-80. C2 is another option, don't recommend K3, doesn't last long. 09C dignics or glayzer is a safe bet.

Hybrid MK is non tacky. NEO Hurricane 3 37 is very good, also Hurricane 8-80. C2 is another option, don't recommend K3, doesn't last long. 09C dignics or glayzer is a safe bet.
My last Hybrid MK was actually more tacky than my last H3 provincial… strange ???

Cheers
L-zr

• Wow
Reactions: FrenchFrog33
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

Everyone plays table tennis differently. Don't listen to other people. If you like T05fx, then stick with it. What is the point of changing if you are progressing and winning?

Backhand consider either Dignics 09c or Dignics 05.

Glayzer is supposedly the introductory rubber to the Dignics series. Rozena is supposedly the introductory rubber to the Tenergy series.

If you like Glayzer 09c ok, then consider Dignics 09c if you like hybrid rubber or Dignics 05 if you are ready to go all out offensive on the backhand side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
Sonething is wrong here. If anything T05FX is mushy, G09C definitely not. But it is a lot slower that’s true.

What will happen is that T05FH will make you hit long. This will make you hesitate so your progress slows down. G09C will force You to hit harder, This way you will hesitate less and you will a get a better stroke. On BH you can not hit so hard anyway so it matters a lot less.
And use as hard rubbers as possible because they are less reactive on slow shots…

The one thing with Tenergy that I miss is the sensation of firing cannon balls from position 2 and 3, but it cost me more than earn. I play since summer with a slow rubber on FH and I am much mire consistent, not so many kill shots but I win more points.

Cheers
L-zr
Well maybe that's the issue, I'd say my BH punch is faster than anything I can achieve on my FH side. I can achieve a much faster bat speed with elbow and wrist on BH than with FH. Maybe that will come with more fitness/practice.

I can hit the Glayzer hard but because it doesn't have spin as high as somthing like the Tenergy it lacks the arc to make it safe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
Everyone plays table tennis differently. Don't listen to other people. If you like T05fx, then stick with it. What is the point of changing if you are progressing and winning?

Backhand consider either Dignics 09c or Dignics 05.

Glayzer is supposedly the introductory rubber to the Dignics series. Rozena is supposedly the introductory rubber to the Tenergy series.

If you like Glayzer 09c ok, then consider Dignics 09c if you like hybrid rubber or Dignics 05 if you are ready to go all out offensive on the backhand side.
Thanks, makes complete sense. I'd love to try out the Dignics but seeing an unused T05 sitting on my desk makes me wonder about spending 00's of pounds of unused equipment.

Blade wise, would you have a view on a good time to move to a carbon blade vs changing rubbers?

Well maybe that's the issue, I'd say my BH punch is faster than anything I can achieve on my FH side. I can achieve a much faster bat speed with elbow and wrist on BH than with FH. Maybe that will come with more fitness/practice.

I can hit the Glayzer hard but because it doesn't have spin as high as somthing like the Tenergy it lacks the arc to make it safe.
Glazer has plenty of spin, but not as accessible as Tenergy. It’s a double edged sword, Tenergy is easy to create spin with but is also very reactive to incoming spin….

With G09C you need to brush the ball more and of course hit harder.
If Your BH is harder than your FH you have a great opportunity for development.

You are he first person I hear about that is like this, unless You are a true beginner and then it doesn’t matter much anyway…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
Glazer has plenty of spin, but not as accessible as Tenergy. It’s a double edged sword, Tenergy is easy to create spin with but is also very reactive to incoming spin….

With G09C you need to brush the ball more and of course hit harder.
If Your BH is harder than your FH you have a great opportunity for development.

You are he first person I hear about that is like this, unless You are a true beginner and then it doesn’t matter much anyway…

Cheers
L-zr
Thanks and yes, I think there's a lot of potential on the BH side. From watching Darko Jorgic play I'd say his BH is as fast or faster than his FH, the fact he sometimes finishes points on his FH side with his BH says it all. I feel the same about my FH vs BH.

Time to rip some BH's to see if the Glayzer 09C has a level I just haven't reached yet.

Hybrid MK is supposed to be non tacky, what do you meaaaaaaan?!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Exactly what I said. Hybrid MK has trace of tackiness my H3 prov absolutely none.

Cheers
L-zr