Review:Butterfly Kenta Matsudaira ALC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Hi, I'll write up a short review about my experience so far with the Kenta Matsudaira ALC, but haven't been able to try it out with a variety of rubbers at the moment.

Quick background, I've used maybe 30-50 blades over the course of me playing TT. Kenta has always been my idol and it was a dream come true owning this blade, it was an early xmas gift from my GF, I think she gave it to me sometime October 20 or so. Right before this blade I was using the Sanwei Froster ALC.

I initially started using this blade with rubbers that I transferred over from my Froster.

Forehand: Stiga DNA Hybrid XH
Backhand: Andro Hexer HD

Coming from the Froster, I initially found the Kenta's handle pretty small but maybe after 3hrs or so of playing I finally got used to it.
Finish of the blade is better than most Viscaria's I've held that needs some sanding on the wings, the Kenta felt perfect to me.

Weight: 86g, I prefer heavier for more power but I won't complain as I've heard that most Kenta ALC blades are between 81-84g.

Speed: Blade's speed is about 8/10 not too fast, pretty controlled. It's no speed monster and allows you to control the ball really well even with fast rubbers.
The DNA Hybrid XH is quite fast around an 8.8-9 out of 10 in terms of speed, whereas with the Hexer HD it felt a solid 7-8 out of 10 when paired with the Kenta ALC. I eventually changed to a Xiom J&H X50.

Feel: You can feel the crispness of the blade due to it's Koto outer and ALC on blocks and drives but you can feel the flex on loops, loop drives and counter loops.
Basically it feels crisp and stiff on the low gears and flexy and soft on the high gears.

Spin: Counterlooping and spin generation on open ups are easy with this blade. I'd rate this blade's spin a solid 9/10

Control: Personally 10/10 for me but other's may find the flex weird and hard to control.

So far I've tried.
Stiga DNA Hybrid XH, Andro Hexer HD, Tibhar Evolution MX-S, Tibhar Evolution MX-P50 and Xiom Jekyll and Hyde X50 and only the Evolution MXP-50 doesn't feel right on this blade so I'd say that this blade isn't that picky when it comes to rubber choices. Currently traded(borrowed) blades with my friend's TB ALC but in the future will try other rubbers on the Kenta. He put on other rubbers on it right now so I'll try that out too.

To summarize, speed is sufficient not a speed monster, feel and control is there and the blade's finish is impeccable.
If you can find one in the wild definitely a good buy. I personally want 2 more as I damaged the blade already sadly :(
I think this would be really good at 90g or 92g, as mine is only 86g. I bet at 90-92 it would have even more of a kick.

If you have any questions just let me know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Kenta's ALC blade is a Limba Outer. Not Koto. It's the same composition as Marcos Freitas ALC and Michael Maze.
Kenta ALC is in the viscaria family, koto outer, alc 2nd ply. Freitas is the only commercial model of BTY blades that revived the Maze construction if I'm not mistaken.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
It's a Boll ALC/Viscaria/etc type of blade with similar layers, so koto as outer-ply indeed.
Love the looks of the blade, however, I could not get used to the thin/small handle.
Glad to hear you like it.
I initially planned to add grip to the bottom of the handle to make it bigger, but as I got used to it right away, I decided not to :)