Rubber thickness

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I must have been thinking about it when glues pips first to blade :D

OX SP is hardbat rubber.

I get to play vs some hardbat players in Boston who will play vs you using their hardbat (while you use Ur super spinny inverted rubber bat) and STILL lay the 2000+ level smackdown on ya. I do very well vs them as extreme heavy spin and serve/attack works great wonders vs them.

So, I appreciate hardbat. You really have to be able to read the ball and be able to setup what you want to do. They are so good at making flat drives right at your crossover from the weirdest of position and from the conventional ones. You have to calculate what they did and what you did the stroke before in a way you are not accustomed to. It's all great stuff.

Reactions: Suga D and BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It was still a good post.

Perhaps what you were really saying is that those hardbat guys are so good their play should be illegal 'cause you can't stand getting beat up on and run around by a guy whose playing without any sponge! Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My playing level is not low mis 2000s but I am a living nightmare to these two. They defeat players a level better than me but I have gone 9-1 vs both of them in the last ten times and went from bsrely einning in 5th to bossing the games.

Hahaha. Then perhaps you are saying they should use sponge vs you. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Then that one isn't hardbat. But still hard to play. I do think you have the secret to pips though. I saw it against Robert Chen. Heavy spin. Loaded topspin limits what they can do.

And RChen used Long Pips, Hardbat and Smooth all in one match against you. Hahaha.

Sent from my NSAPhone using PipsOutTalk

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I wonder if someone who plays with a substantially thinner sponge (with inverted) and thinks his blade is faster because of it is being fooled by the sharper vibration and different sound into thinking it is faster when it's not?

Personally I play with the thickest sponge available. I tried a sheet of thinner once because someone I respect a lot uses it, but it felt bizarre to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I wonder if someone who plays with a substantially thinner sponge (with inverted) and thinks his blade is faster because of it is being fooled by the sharper vibration and different sound into thinking it is faster when it's not?

Personally I play with the thickest sponge available. I tried a sheet of thinner once because someone I respect a lot uses it, but it felt bizarre to me.

How much thinner? And do you mean APW46?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
1.9 mm, yes it was APW.

To be fair I didn't give the stuff much of a chance. I am just so used to weight and feel of the max that I quickly went back to what I usually use. I was pretty surprised at how different felt. I guess I'm a creature of habit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
1.9 mm, yes it was APW.

To be fair I didn't give the stuff much of a chance. I am just so used to weight and feel of the max that I quickly went back to what I usually use. I was pretty surprised at how different felt. I guess I'm a creature of habit.

To give you a funny related story, when I tried Evolution MX-S for the first time, I felt it was too fast. Then I bought it in 1.9mm and it felt right. Then I compared the weight of the MX-S in 1.9mm to Big Dipper and Tenergy 05 and it was in the same range.

Yes, we are creatures of habit... we either stick with something for the long haul or just reject it out of habit...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Then that one isn't hardbat. But still hard to play. I do think you have the secret to pips though. I saw it against Robert Chen. Heavy spin. Loaded topspin limits what they can do.

And RChen used Long Pips, Hardbat and Smooth all in one match against you. Hahaha.

Sent from my NSAPhone using PipsOutTalk
He plays mainly hardbat but when his hardbat fails vs me he breaks out sponge sp and rally better to make a tight match the he breaks out a bat with inverted tenergy on bh.

You REALLY got to pay attention to both what he did you did and what you are intending to setup. That still counts as a lot of FUN.

Reactions: BeGo